iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

OldJarheads Milling Thread...

Started by OlJarhead, April 06, 2016, 02:06:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OlJarhead

Like the idea of the peanut can!  Thanks

Also the black silicone.  I can't keep those suckers on and have lost a couple of them.
2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

Brucer

I always keep a couple of spare caps on hand so I can replace a missing/broken one right away. Two weeks ago I move my mill for the first time in 7 years. You would not believe the amount of sawdust that can drift into those adjustment holes on the side of the outrigger. I think without the caps there'd have been sawdust drifting out of the holes :D.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

paul case

Nope.
The bark plugs them up and it is almost impossible to get it out without taking them completely off and turning them upside down. :-\

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Magicman

Correct Paul.  Even with the top caps, they will still fill up and need to be removed every couple of years and cleaned out.  As strange as it may seem, FAO's will also accumulate debris through the adjustment holes along the sides.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Chuck White

I just cleaned mine a few days ago.

I just ran the shop-vac hose down into them and the whole thing took less than 10 minutes.

A couple of knots down in there that wouldn't go into the hose, so just pulled the hose out and the knot was picked off of the end of the hose and tossed.

been thinking about welding a cap on the top because the plastic caps go South fast!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Kbeitz

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

thecfarm

would spray foam get wet and stay wet?
I'd pull on up along side a welder and fix it once and for all. Unplug things first.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

paul case

Quote from: Chuck White on September 19, 2016, 03:23:29 PM

I just ran the shop-vac hose down into them and the whole thing took less than 10 minutes.

Now that's using your Thinker. smiley_thumbsup

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

GAB

Quote from: paul case on September 19, 2016, 07:04:10 PM
Quote from: Chuck White on September 19, 2016, 03:23:29 PM

Now that's using your Thinker. smiley_thumbsup

PC

I wasn't as smart I just used the air hose and cleaned them out as best I could with that.
Gerald

W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Magicman

The outrigger feet have holes in the bottom which helps with the washout, but I really like Chucks vacuum idea.   smiley_idea
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Chuck White

The only issue I had was with the latch pin, if it goes into the locking hole, the vacuum hose won't go past it.

So, I just put a piece of board under the leg and the pin made contact "between" 2 locking holes!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Kbeitz

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Peter Drouin

I have used the vacuum thing for decades . Works well.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

4x4American

Pfff..I just flip the mill upside down and give it a good shake
Boy, back in my day..

OlJarhead

The CANT left when my belts broke was already milled to 19"x15" and I milled it down to 3x12's for the customers stairs.

Getting set up

23" x 19' Fir ready to mill.  What a way to start the day! (Note when originally posted I thought that was a 24" log but consulting my notes it was actually 23")

I milled pretty much on the spot as we went but came out of the day over 2200bf by my best guess with 1820bf of logs :)

Magicman

~24" top end is a very nice log.   ;D

OlJarhead

Quote from: Magicman on September 20, 2016, 08:41:22 AM

Yes sir :)  I still have to do the math on the other logs but I never got a total produced because of....well this:

And that was about half way through the day!  They finally decided the trailer had enough and moved it out of the way and started stacking at the other end of the mill.  it's what they wanted to do (to make moving it all easier) and I haven't quite got marking a tally as I go down yet.  They had me milling everything from 2x6's to 5x7's including 3x's and 4x's in there as well as some 1x's

Magicman

Yup that is a mess, sometimes necessary, but still a mess.   :o

OlJarhead

Yup lol -- 3x12's mixed in with 5x7's, 4x7's, 3x4's and 2x's and 1x's....and no way I was going to try to figure it out LOL

But they had their own end seal and a nice place under cover where they had already very neatly laid out their previous lumber I'd milled up so I know it will be well stacked by now.

OlJarhead

Quote from: Magicman on September 20, 2016, 08:41:22 AM
Boy you are good!

It turned out to be 461 as my notes show the top at 23" and the length 19'

How on earth did you figure it was 24x19?  I'm guessing you plugged in the numbers figuring 18 or 20 feet on the log and came close and then just fiddled until you matched my 482? 

OlJarhead

Took the weekend off and spent three days building my deck roof at the cabin all with lumber I milled when I first got he LT40 :)

So nice to be able to make your own lumber ;)

Now I'm planning my next milling adventure.  Guy has about 6 trees he's having dropped and ready for the mill.  Not sure of sizes or qty's (which seems common) and will do this one on a weekend in a couple weeks.  My guess is 18 to 24 logs from 30" to 12"...if they are big logs it will take a couple days.

Also got word of a poplar that is coming down nearby that I can have, even mill on site.  Not sure what I'll do with it but it sounds like something worth doing.

drobertson

It seems to me that the wmz B 57 is designed for a compression load where as the others for a tension load whatever works I guess, B 57's have worked flawlessly, at the price, why switch?
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

4x4American

For some reason, sawing pinus strobus, sap loves to build up under them b57s and it will pop the blade off if it gets bad enough.   

At the project, one of our FF blade experts mentioned that he did a test, on those belts vs steel wheels.  I won't get into the details, but what happens is each rotation that B57 makes, it is beating that blade to death.  And who likes to be beat to death?  I don't!  Moral of the story, steel is much more better, B56 is more better, and B57 is the least better of them all.
Boy, back in my day..

Magicman

To each his own.  Our Pine must be different because in 14 years of sawing, I have never had pitch to build up beneath the B57 belt.  I also do not see where the blade is being "beat to death".  Yes, I can read small print).... ;D

As I said, "to each his own" and we tend to use what works best for our individual use/needs.

4x4American

I gotta fix my computer, if I hit enter, and then backspace, it will put my writing into small print, I mustve missed that one. 

Yea it happens, I get crud build up underneath there every so often.  I think it mainly happens when it's cold out for some reason.  But it's spat blades off at me.  Jake from State Farm was the one who helped me figure out why my blades kept popping off.
Boy, back in my day..

Thank You Sponsors!