The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: Jonsered 361, worth messing with?  (Read 6442 times)

Offline Clockwork

• I need to edit my profile!
    • Share Post
Jonsered 361, worth messing with?
« on: October 24, 2004, 09:55:49 PM »
my dad has been wanting a small(~12-16" bar) saw for mom and his motorhome. he thought his 20" echo 550 was too bulky. but i knew he really just wanted an excuse to buy a new saw that could be justified in mom's eyes. so i find this guy whos selling a few saws for cheap, ones an old 20" husky(mod 61 come to find out) and the other, an almost new Stihl 024 woodboss. end up getting the Husky for myself for $50 and the Stihl for my dad for $100. both great running saws. but it has an 18" bar so its still a little too big he says.

well his dad had an older but pretty much never used Jonsered 361 14" that he gave dad because its too hard to start and really hard to pull(which it is). we couldn't get it going, carb problem i figure. new carb is $45. been stored with gas in it for probably near 15 years possibly without use so the carb's probably beyond rebuild i figure. long story short, is this saw worth the $45 and the time? my dad thinks this jonsered is a screamer(although small). thanks-ryan
Husqvarna 61
Echo 550EVL
Homelite ZIP

Offline Chris J

• I'm new! Well, not exactly "new."
    • Share Post
Re: Jonsered 361, worth messing with?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2004, 12:59:55 PM »
Hi, Clockwork.  I'm not familiar with the Jred 361.  Forgive me if I'm pointing out the obvious.

If it were mine I'd check the fuel filter & the fuel lines.  A filter & some line should be relatively cheap.  If that didn't help, I'd try rebuilding the carb with a carb kit.  Last one I purchased, full kit for Tillotson HL, was $5.30 on-line, $11.50 locally.  The prices vary, best to shop around. Maybe check the plug, & replace it if necessary.  All of the above should cost a lot less than $45.00.  If you're mechanically inclinded a carb rebuild shouldn't be a biggie, just a matter of doing your homework (try checking the carb maker website) & taking your time.  Hope you get the saw put right!
Certified Amateur Chainsaw Tinkerer.  If sucess is built on failure, then one day I'll live on the top of Mt. Everest.

Offline FiremanEd

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2004, 03:51:45 PM »
Clockwork, we used to run Jonsereds 20 + years ago, as best I remember the parts are usually interchangable with a like sized Husky. FYI
Full time Firefighter / Paramedic
WoodMizer LT300 as secondary, full time job.
AccuTrac Electric Edger

Offline sawguy21

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2004, 11:18:05 AM »
The Jonsered 361 was built by Trail Manufacturing in Vancouver B.C. in the 70's. It was also sold as a  Frontier, Husqvarna 35,  and Pioneer P10. Skil also had a version.
It is very easy to work on, reliable and in my book, still one the best small saws ever built. I saw the powerrhead being used to run RC aircraft Great power to weight ratio and, at the time, only one reliable enough.TML was bought by Electrolux.
Rebuild the carb, replace the fuel filter, and you should have a great unit. Wear earplugs
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
16yr old Jonsered CS2152 Worth repairing

Started by InDaWoods on Chainsaws

9 Replies
Last post May 19, 2019, 09:36:36 PM
by weimedog
xx
Video's Of Old Jonsered's Running....Focus On Jonsered 70e's ADD Some Please!

Started by weimedog on Chainsaws

1 Replies
Last post December 04, 2019, 09:42:18 AM
by weimedog
xx
jonsered 2063 when did jonsered first introduce them

Started by jonsered on Chainsaws

5 Replies
Last post March 12, 2007, 06:02:25 AM
by SawTroll
xx
Messing around