iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Going to look at a 440b this weekend.

Started by ohiowoodchuck, May 11, 2016, 09:32:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snowstorm

steering wheel and shaft bolts to it. its a pretty complex valve setup. i always thought about changing it over to a rotary steering valve or helm as they call it. on mine. i did that on my kubota that didnt have power steering. it works real well. you would need a closed center valve for the jd

Ed_K

I'd question the "working it's self out" we had a 3020 JD ag tractor that even after it was bled off when you drove it down the road you had to constantly turn the steering wheel to the left. It is a very complex sys. BIL took it apart the first time and JD had to finish repairing it, the o-rings tear easily.
Ed K

ohiowoodchuck

I'll probably just run it for awhile when I get some free time, I 'll tear into it. The book is very detailed on rebuilding it. I always look at it like this. Usually there is a guy putting this together who is just as smart as me and it's only metal.
Education is the best defense against the media.

snowstorm

lots of times the loose bracket is broke or the bolts are.

redprospector

Quote from: Ed_K on September 12, 2016, 10:19:15 AM
I'd question the "working it's self out" we had a 3020 JD ag tractor that even after it was bled off when you drove it down the road you had to constantly turn the steering wheel to the left. It is a very complex sys. BIL took it apart the first time and JD had to finish repairing it, the o-rings tear easily.
I've had my 440b for 12 years now, and nothing has ever "worked itself out", I've always had to fix it, or just live with it. The entire hydraulic system on the JD's is way too close to rocket science for me, but most parts are available. I bought a rebuilt steering cylinder and just did an R&R on mine a few years ago. That was bad enough.  :D But it did solve some of the problems I was having at the time.
Quote from: ohiowoodchuck on September 10, 2016, 09:37:12 PM
What causes the machine to kick sideways a bit or realign itself when you start it up. This is only after it has been shut off for awhile and you start it up. After a few minutes it turns itself a few inches. I noticed my cylinder rebuild cut down on the leak but it's still leaking, the rod is pitted and will need welded up and re-chromed. Is the leak or bleeding off after shut off causing this. I still need to bleed the system but it has done this since I got it.
Mine has always, and still does turn slightly to one side sometimes when starting. If I remember right, the operators manual says not to start the machine while standing between the wheels for this very reason.
When it does it on a trailer, just don't panic. Let it do it's thing, and then straighten it out. Big Bubbles, No Troubles!  ;D
Bleeding the system is easy, but I don't believe it will fix the turning. But if your system needs bleeding, do it. It will make your life much better while on the skidder.  ;)
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

ohiowoodchuck

I had to pull the whole steering cylinder out to rebuild it as the chain wrench a buddy made for his steering cylinders was way to big. He has a 740 Deere I believe. It took me about 2 hours to remove, rebuild, tighten the loose steering bracket and reinstall. I didn't think it would fix the leak after I seen how bad the rod was pitted on the under side. It did cut way back on the leaking but didn't eliminate it. I just need to come to the conclusion it's a 43 year old machine and I'm not going to get it perfect. I'm to much of a perfectionist.

Grandpa

Maybe mine is the exception but air will work itself out of the system, but it does take about 2 months of daily use. I probably should just bleed it but never do.

Woodchuck, don't worry about that perfectionist thing, I'm like that, and hundreds of hours and thousands of dollars later, I believe my skidder to be better than new. ;D

OH logger

i would start it up and let it idle a little and then unchain it on the trailer
john

North River Energy

The Deere setup is probably much different, but on my old Michigan loader, the steering spool has a balance valve that prevents the ram from 'creeping' in or out when the operator lets go the wheel.
If the spring preload on either side of that valve is unequal, the wheels will gradually turn to one side as soon as the system sees pressure. Someone may have taken your steering valve apart and not properly calibrated the entrails.

ohiowoodchuck

Quote from: OH logger on September 13, 2016, 08:56:25 PM
i would start it up and let it idle a little and then unchain it on the trailer
Two great minds think alike. I thought of that the other day.

Thank You Sponsors!