The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Dynamic Green Products Inc.

Author Topic: Another Solar Kiln Build  (Read 3835 times)

Offline Josef

• Full Member x2
  • just horsin' around
    • Share Post
Re: Another Solar Kiln Build
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2016, 09:10:36 PM »
My baffle is a canvas tarp hung from the bottom of the fan truss. There are two vents at the top of the door placed just below the header frame when the door is closed as well as two vents at the bottom of the door. I'll get pics when I get it placed on its outdoor pad. I just got the door seals worked out, looks like the foam pipe insulation will work well when compressed in place.

Joe
In my house I'm the boss, I know this because my wife said so, I only hope she doesn't change her mind!

New to me Timber Harvester that I'm learning to operate, been building a home built mill for a while, should be ready to make sawdust with it someday if I ever quit "modifying" the design.

Offline CedarDude

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2016, 10:27:44 AM »
Ahh, in the doors, that makes sense.

I'm debating placement of the tarp. With the metal collector, I think it could go either under the fan shroud near the back of the kiln (as with standard VT design) or at the bottom of the sheet metal near the front of the kiln (if it was draped back over the pile). Not sure. Probably better the traditional way.

Offline Josef

• Full Member x2
  • just horsin' around
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2016, 06:45:06 PM »
Not sure it makes much difference, the use of the baffle relegates the space under the metal collector to dead space with no appreciable air flow without creating some sort of turbulence in that void. I chose to hang the baffle from the overhead merely to make it's placement over the lumber easier. In most VT designs I believe the baffle serves double duty and acts as a collector as well (like painting the interior black) because it's open to the transparent roof panels. In our kilns we placed the metal collector between them so I'd say securing the hanging baffle high or low depends on how it affects the ease of it's use in your design.

Joe
In my house I'm the boss, I know this because my wife said so, I only hope she doesn't change her mind!

New to me Timber Harvester that I'm learning to operate, been building a home built mill for a while, should be ready to make sawdust with it someday if I ever quit "modifying" the design.

Offline Josef

• Full Member x2
  • just horsin' around
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2016, 04:54:12 PM »
Hi Guys,

well, I've had a chance to put a couple of loads thru my solar kiln, thought I'd update this thread with my initial observations.

First, in hindsight I may have to build a smaller kiln for "shorter" lifts. I'm finding the combining of short length lifts to get close to the capacity of the kiln and fit in the 18' floor space is a challenge. To address this I'm having to cover a portion of the glazing to reduce the temps in the kiln. The first load was only 800bf and the temp reached over 140 degrees most days. It dried from air dry at 16% to an average of 7% in only 8 days, probably too fast?

The kiln operated well, the door opens easily allowing me to place lifts in with my skid loader. The 4 fans keep the air moving well, the dehumidifier pulls moisture out overnight when temps drop below 90, and the vents operate as expected.

My optimistic rather oversize layout dries lumber quickly and efficiently, but perhaps a smaller unit would be just as effective as most of what I saw is under 12' long. I'm going to try placing a thermocouple within a piece of board to see how hot the interior of the board gets, I'm curious if the time at over 140 degrees is enough to sterilize the load.

The load of QS sycamore planed out well, as did the lift of red oak, in the kiln now is maple and the next lift will be 8 and 10 qtr ash.

Offline Den Socling

• Senior Member x2
  • just wondering
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2016, 05:42:20 PM »
I don't believe you finished your air dried wood too fast.
Get an RTD instead of a thermocouple and you can use any regular wire. Otherwise you have to mess with thermocouple wire.

Offline CaseyK

• Full Member x2
  • Keep it simple enough anyone can operate it
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2016, 07:27:12 PM »
Joseph your build looks awesome, thanks for spending your time sharing it with us. Im hoping to build one in the next couple of weeks.
Home built automated twin blade

Offline pineywoods

• Senior Member x2
  • Engineering analysis-just sittin thinkin about it
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2016, 09:59:42 AM »
Joseph your build looks awesome, thanks for spending your time sharing it with us. Im hoping to build one in the next couple of weeks.
Hey CaseyK, good to see you back on here, come see me and I'll take you over to Planman's place to see his kiln, cat's meow  ;D
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Pre-build solar kiln questions(Photos of kiln building progress)

Started by caveman on Drying and Processing

58 Replies
Last post April 17, 2016, 06:35:35 PM
by caveman
xx
Solar kiln build

Started by JoshNZ on Drying and Processing

13 Replies
Last post August 29, 2020, 05:51:43 PM
by doc henderson
xx
Solar kiln build