The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Author Topic: Felling wedge pouch and hammer?  (Read 7599 times)

Offline grassfed

• Share Post
    • Kingdom Hill Farm
Re: Felling wedge pouch and hammer?
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2016, 07:45:21 AM »
I keep a small Morse cable cutter in my tool bag in the skidder and my cross peen felling hammer works good with it; you just have to set it on something hard or you will drive it into the ground. BTW Labonville sells all of the Morse parts if anybody needs something.
Mike

Offline treeslayer2003

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2016, 08:59:13 AM »
hey Matt, i found those wedge ferrules last about 10 times longer than a knot. added benefit.

Offline danbuendgen

• Stand Up and Fight
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2016, 09:54:35 AM »
its bucking that causes the most pinches, and where the axe comes in.

That's what your wedge is for, cut the log half way or more and stick in a wedge the cut if you think you could get the bar pinched.

As for cutting skidder cable, when it the end starts to look worn, I cut it preemptively at the landing. That way I am not 1/2 mile or more out in the woods with a ripped cable. I always have my portable air compressor at the landing, and I just cut the cable with a wiz wheel. Very fast and accurate. Tie a new not, and cut off excess cable. Back to work very quickly this way.
Husqvarna ~ TimberJack ~ Dodge Cummins

Offline thenorthman

• Now we're logging
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2016, 10:05:12 AM »

[/quote]

That's what your wedge is for, cut the log half way or more and stick in a wedge the cut if you think you could get the bar pinched.
[/quote]
Well, these trees out here can be hard to judge the bind, 130-150' tall can do some weird things on the ground, mostly its the top that gets me...

hey Matt, i found those wedge ferrules last about 10 times longer than a knot. added benefit.

I keep a spare on hand so the change goes pretty quick most times, that vid took forever cause I broke it the day before and hadn't removed the other end, so had to peal one off, way easier with a vice at home.

Those cable cutters are neat, I just found a super old school one in the corner of the shop now I'm not quite as excited to try it out ;)
 You guys must have more patience then me I didn't even come close to doing anything to my cable with an axe. Of course I was trying to cut it off the winch drum.
I gave up and went the easy route, generator and anglegrinder.

Axe not so good on the winch drum, but if you are dead set on using an axe to cut cable, mount the axe in a stump, usually by cutting a notch so the poll fits in snug, or use a wedge to hold it tight, then take a second axe or a soft faced hammer, set the cable over the axe and swing away, its fairly quick once set up, but hard on the axe, and a really good way to get bits of cast steel and high tensile wire stuck in soft bits like eyes, forearms, inner thigh, septum, throat... buddy of mine is mostly blind in one eye from doing this, with safety glasses on even.  Hence the cutter is nice cause you can keep the shrapnel pointed away from you, if any.
well that didn't work

Offline Dieseltwitch

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2016, 02:47:53 PM »
Those cable cutters are neat, I just found a super old school one in the corner of the shop now I'm not quite as excited to try it out ;)
 You guys must have more patience then me I didn't even come close to doing anything to my cable with an axe. Of course I was trying to cut it off the winch drum.

Go get one of the Milwaukee M18 grinders. super useful for field work! and battery life is actually pretty good!

Offline AlexHart

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2016, 10:56:45 PM »
I stumbled on this handle kind of by happenstance ordering stuff from Baileys a couple years ago.   

I have a bunch of old axe heads I've kind of accumulated/inherited from grandfathers and such and I now have three of these put together.   Its my favorite axe (handle mostly... put whatever head you want/have on it) ever for driving wedges.   Feels more like a maul or baseball bat or something than a normal axe.    I've dug up a link in case anybody wanted to throw caution to the wind and splurge 13 dollars and 46 cents plus some shipping :) 

http://www.baileysonline.com/Forestry-Woodcutting/Axes-Mauls/Replacement-Axe-Handles/Single-Bit-Axe-Replacement-Handles/Link-Seymour-27-Hickory-Replacement-Handle-for-Single-Bit-Axes-LK-124-19.axd

Item #: 15860  Link/Seymour 27" Hickory Replacement Handle for Single Bit Axes 

Offline RHP Logging

• Share Post
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2016, 12:37:26 AM »
I stumbled on this handle kind of by happenstance ordering stuff from Baileys a couple years ago.   

I have a bunch of old axe heads I've kind of accumulated/inherited from grandfathers and such and I now have three of these put together.   Its my favorite axe (handle mostly... put whatever head you want/have on it) ever for driving wedges.   Feels more like a maul or baseball bat or something than a normal axe.    I've dug up a link in case anybody wanted to throw caution to the wind and splurge 13 dollars and 46 cents plus some shipping :) 

http://www.baileysonline.com/Forestry-Woodcutting/Axes-Mauls/Replacement-Axe-Handles/Single-Bit-Axe-Replacement-Handles/Link-Seymour-27-Hickory-Replacement-Handle-for-Single-Bit-Axes-LK-124-19.axd

Item #: 15860  Link/Seymour 27" Hickory Replacement Handle for Single Bit Axes

Looks like a rafting handle.
Buckin in the woods

Offline mills

• Share Post
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2016, 06:02:25 AM »
When I'm cutting I wear a tool belt from Home Depot with suspenders attached and mix and match pouches. I normally carry two wedges, a tape, bar wrench, and a short handled four lb. sledge. I could never find an ax that would hold up to very much pounding.

Oh, and two chain saws.  :)

Offline Plankton

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2016, 06:26:32 AM »

Go get one of the Milwaukee M18 grinders. super useful for field work! and battery life is actually pretty good!

Oh yeah definitly, it's on the list to buy I love the m18 stuff as far as battery tools go.

Offline FirewoodFactory

• \_(ツ)_/
    • Share Post
    • Sundry Thoughts of Cameron Watt
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2016, 04:52:21 PM »
I thought double bit axes were for cutting cables:  Sink axe into stump, pull cable over axe, hammer time.  I see no other use for them.  ;) 

Making your own pouch shouldn't be a big deal.  If you don't sew I bet you know someone who does.  Give them the stack of wedges you want to carry and set them loose on the problem.

I was never a professional faller but had similar kit for doing ironwork:  Bolt bag and wrench sheath.  I experimented with a couple bolt bag ideas but actually settled on a store bought carpenters' nail pouch and made a leather belt sheath for the wrench.  There are always choices.
I'm just a welder pretending to be a sawyer.

Offline RHP Logging

• Share Post
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2016, 09:47:47 PM »
When I'm cutting I wear a tool belt from Home Depot with suspenders attached and mix and match pouches. I normally carry two wedges, a tape, bar wrench, and a short handled four lb. sledge. I could never find an ax that would hold up to very much pounding.

Oh, and two chain saws.  :)

Are you using splitting wedges?
Buckin in the woods

Offline mills

• Share Post
« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2016, 05:17:06 AM »

No, I carry the plastic Hard Head wedges, but I keep a steel splitting wedge in the skidder to use if I get in a bind. I can get by with the two for most of everything I cut, but will work around the ones that have to be pulled against a heavy lean until Dad or my son has time to run the skidder for me.

Offline RHP Logging

• Share Post
« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2016, 09:05:54 AM »

No, I carry the plastic Hard Head wedges, but I keep a steel splitting wedge in the skidder to use if I get in a bind. I can get by with the two for most of everything I cut, but will work around the ones that have to be pulled against a heavy lean until Dad or my son has time to run the skidder for me.

I Asked because I've never heard of going through axes. Just trying to figure out what you would hit with them to cause them to not hold up.
Buckin in the woods

Offline thenorthman

• Now we're logging
    • Share Post
« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2016, 09:17:44 PM »

and that is why I don't use the hard head wedges, that and they are heavy.  Axes are not meant to be striking metal, the poll (the part that looks like a hammer face) is not hardened nor should it be hardened, its meant just to add weight, the fact that some of them  come in a handy flat face that happens to be good at smacking wedges is just a bonus, its also why most axes have a rounded poll, to dissuade folks from using them as hammers.

Many a good axe has been ruined by folks beating on steel wedges, railroad spikes, other axes, mauls etc.   
well that didn't work

Offline treeslayer2003

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2016, 09:31:39 PM »

and that is why I don't use the hard head wedges, that and they are heavy.  Axes are not meant to be striking metal, the poll (the part that looks like a hammer face) is not hardened nor should it be hardened, its meant just to add weight, the fact that some of them  come in a handy flat face that happens to be good at smacking wedges is just a bonus, its also why most axes have a rounded poll, to dissuade folks from using them as hammers.

Many a good axe has been ruined by folks beating on steel wedges, railroad spikes, other axes, mauls etc.
i have some i found in the woods that are so misshapen, they can't be hung on a new handle of any size. the hole has been collapsed.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Where to find this hydraulics felling wedge?

Started by LOGDOG on Forestry and Logging

16 Replies
Last post December 05, 2012, 11:18:52 PM
by captain_crunch
xx
Tree felling tools Norwood Timbertool & Conyfair Rattle Wedge

Started by tbrickner on Chainsaws

31 Replies
Last post July 16, 2013, 09:46:03 PM
by Chelsea Tree
xx
Custom Multi-tool pouch for my son.