The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Author Topic: Watcha Growing  (Read 21335 times)

Offline doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
  • Evil Prevails when Good Men Standby and Do Nothing
    • Share Post
Re: Watcha Growing
« Reply #220 on: June 20, 2020, 01:10:32 PM »

close up
timberking B 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor 12 volt tarp motor

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
    • Share Post
« Reply #221 on: June 20, 2020, 05:56:28 PM »
I use the dust only, but saying that I would follow directions.
I forgot when the hornworms came here, I think more like 15 years for me.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline Lko67

• Think positive every day
    • Share Post
« Reply #222 on: June 21, 2020, 05:57:47 PM »
Went out till  my garden this spring. It's about 200 yards from house thru the woods. Was cleaning up the soil and kicked up a turkey hen in the weeds on a nest of about 15 eggs didnt have the heart to kick her out so I put 3 raised beds at the house. 4 by 8 beds. Had a 60 ft by 60 ft garden before. Always next year lol

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #223 on: June 26, 2020, 10:19:30 AM »

Im gonna have to blanch and freeze a bunch of swiss chard today. 

Lost a very vigourous tater plant to a blight or bacterial wilt.  Im hoping i can rescue some baby taters off it.  It got hip high in no time then croaked in a day.

Revelation 3:20

Offline 21incher

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #224 on: June 28, 2020, 03:22:18 PM »
That blight sure happens fast. I lost over 100 tomato plants in 3 days a couple years ago. We plant that rainbow chard now. My wife likes it better then swiss chard for some reason.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, and a logrite cant hook.

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #225 on: June 29, 2020, 06:41:48 AM »
Well, i thought it was fungal or bacterial but when i pulled the tires down it was insects.. There was no stem at all in tire 3!  The root system was fully infested with 2 different color bugs half the size of fleas that went straight into the fire and that seems to have controlled it.  

My entire garden has become infested with a host of trouble.  Cucumber beetles, aphids, flea beetles, japanese beetles, potato leaf hopper.  Its surviving and im doing my best not to bomb them all with imidacloprid.  really trying to stay 100% organic .. Just compost and rainwater.  I want the kids to understand how hard life was 300yrs ago, how one bug or fungus could starve you to death and to appreciate being born on easy street.

There is no question that the longer you garden the earlier and more intensely these SOBs show up every year.

Offline Banjo picker

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #226 on: June 29, 2020, 07:55:47 AM »
Well on the bright side those Japanese Beatles will only be with you about a month. Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Online Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
  • Location: Northwestern Ohio in the center of a giant corn field
    • Share Post
« Reply #227 on: June 29, 2020, 04:20:28 PM »
It's coming along .The cucumbers that I grow on a trellis are climbing up and just started to bloom ,Green beans are starting to bloom .If conditions are right both the cucumbers and the beef steak tomatoes will be up to the eaves,8 feet or so .South facing brick wall .raised bed .Neat thing about a trellis is no bending over .With just two of us we really don't need much,just some fresh stuff in season .

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #228 on: June 29, 2020, 05:31:32 PM »
I said, Captains Jacks is all organic.  ;)  Have to remember too there was not the bugs we have not even 50 years ago. My Father planted a bunch of apple trees back in the 70's,he was born in 1923. He was just a swearing at the bugs. He told me we never had to use spray to get good apples.
I can remember picking potatoes bugs by hand. We only a few rows, so it was easy.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Online Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #229 on: June 29, 2020, 08:14:53 PM »
There is or was a book called companion  plants that  told of certain plants that helped each other .If I'm not mistaken it was egg plant with potatoes .They didn't stop the bugs they just prefer egg plant over potatoes making them easier to be rid of .It mentioned hemp too but for reasons I won't go there in this conversation .
I use Sevin myself from a water applicator .It will make tomato worms  fall like a lead balloon .Gone .You stop applying it a certain amount of time before harvesting .I think with cucumbers it's no more than 6 applications during the growing season .

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #230 on: June 29, 2020, 11:00:42 PM »
Eggplant, radish, and marigolds with your cucurbits. I had radish but they bolted to seed in the hot weather so i pulled them to free up space in my tiny crib.  

I kinda think the radish just shows them where to find the cukes and squash. 

I'm gonna try DE and neem oil when i have some cash.  After that its no more mister nice hippie.  I will oxypropane that whole thing to the ground and start over. 

Online Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #231 on: June 30, 2020, 02:10:02 PM »
Some of that stuff is tricky .I like young yellow crooked neck  squash fried which is easy to grow and they come on so fast from one hill you could feed a family of five .Mrs Smith my sweetie who just happens we share the same last name likes acorn squash. Which try as I may have had no luck growing or sweet peppers .I can grow the kind that will get to coming and going without going into details----come on ice cream----

Offline Don P

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Calculator Index
« Reply #232 on: June 30, 2020, 10:05:00 PM »
My wife and a friend have an unofficial contest every year, Michelle got to make the call Sunday "Would you be needing any ripe tomatoes?". Of course there was just the one  :D. We've been having blueberry pancakes and whupped cream as well, and blueberries on pound cake. It's rough but one does what one can. Need to refill the propane bottles, back porch canning season is about on us.
A laborer works with his hands
A craftsman uses his brain and his hands
An artist uses his brain, his hands, and his heart

Online Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
  • An old coot, still learning.
    • Share Post
« Reply #233 on: June 30, 2020, 10:13:27 PM »
We've been having blueberry pancakes and whupped cream as well, and blueberries on pound cake. It's rough but one does what one can. 
Oh man, I feel your pain. Glad you are bucking up through this time that has to be oh so tough. :D ;D
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 450, 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) I mill for fun and my mental health. NYLT Certified.

I ain't the woodcutter, but I can cut wood 'til the woodcutter gets here. OK, maybe I am the woodcutter now.
I can work with wood, but I am NOT a Woodworker

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #234 on: July 01, 2020, 05:10:02 AM »
I've got tomatoes too. Just not ripe yet.  :D  Sounds like you are eating well. 

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #235 on: July 01, 2020, 08:46:20 AM »

Last night's supper; corn, saute' squash, green beans, tomato, & cuke.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Online Walnut Beast

• Share Post
« Reply #236 on: July 01, 2020, 02:32:46 PM »

(Image hidden from quote, click to view.)

Last night's supper; corn, saute' squash, green beans, tomato, & cuke.
Magicman you are battling hard against Jeff for best presentation on the food. 😂😂. Looks tasty 😋 

Offline 21incher

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #237 on: July 01, 2020, 09:11:02 PM »
Eggplant, radish, and marigolds with your cucurbits. I had radish but they bolted to seed in the hot weather so i pulled them to free up space in my tiny crib.  

I kinda think the radish just shows them where to find the cukes and squash.

I'm gonna try DE and neem oil when i have some cash.  After that its no more mister nice hippie.  I will oxypropane that whole thing to the ground and start over.

I started using  neem oil last year and it helps a little.  The flea beetles have been working on the eggplant and neem helped for about 2 weeks then all of a sudden it was like I  was putting gravy on the leaves and the flea beetles came by the thousands for a meal. I have some of that captain Jack's powder on order to try now and hope it works better if it ever arrives. Hopefully the Japanese beetles won't be bad this year.  First time ever a deer jumped my fence and had a 5 course meal 😟.  The farmers  around  me all use nasty chemicals that send the bugs and animals to my organic feast.

Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, and a logrite cant hook.

Online Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #238 on: July 02, 2020, 08:57:58 AM »
Magic obviously has a growing season that starts a wee bit sooner than here in the frozen tundra .I'm just now getting flowers and a few tiny pickelets on the cucumber vines . Fact I just back from a run to Lowes with a bottle of some kind of copper  fungicide to try and get the jump on the cucumber blight I always seem to get .It might be nice to still get a fresh cucumber up until the last of October instead of the middle of August when the blight seems to cut it short .

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #239 on: July 02, 2020, 11:03:45 AM »
The yellow and black cucumber beetle brings the blight from other peoples infected crop.. Kill them!  

I got about 15 Japanese beetles yesterday out of probably 30 that were on 2 potato plants! 

Imidacloprid or other neonicotinoids will kill all of these pests but it kills the bees and causes birth defect in the deer so I really don't wanna do it. Aggravating.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Watcha Not Sawing 2019

Started by YellowHammer on General Board

18 Replies
Last post June 24, 2019, 08:42:38 AM
by Crusarius
xx
Growing our own

Started by Texas Ranger on FOOD! FOOD! FOOD!

12 Replies
Last post October 17, 2019, 07:42:40 AM
by Don P
xx
Growing Mushrooms

Started by Patty on FOOD! FOOD! FOOD!

38 Replies
Last post July 10, 2011, 10:54:36 PM
by cinnabar
xx
The mill is growing!

Started by woodjunky on Sawmills and Milling