iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Killed my Sawing Boots

Started by Magicman, July 08, 2016, 12:16:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tgalbraith

Quote from: Magicman on July 08, 2016, 05:50:36 PM
Back in the days when I was climbing (and my pay scale was higher) I wore Red Wings.  I understand that they now have two different levels.   smiley_thumbsup smiley_thumbsdown
Magicman, were you a lineman??  I refer to your words " I was climbing".  I was a power company and
contractor lineman for 53 years before retiring.  Spent five years in Syria and Bangledesh working on USAID projects and ended up working for a Contractor in Florida. Retired at age 70 and came back home
to Wisconsin.

M Belsaw, 46" insert blade, Oliver 88 power  plant

Magicman

One of the old "Bell" telephone companies.  I was never a Lineman by title, but Installer/Repairman, Cable Splicer, & PBX/IR.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

bkaimwood

Quote from: Dave Shepard on July 08, 2016, 06:46:18 PM
I used to wear Redwings, but they just aren't wide enough. Can't seem to get any decent boot that is wide enough, actually.
I bought the best and highest comfort rating red wing boot I could find, and at over $200, I was very disappointed. I continued my search, and so far, and by far, the most comfortable boot on the planet for me is  made by Keen. I also had BAD plantar fasciitis in the past...I no longer have it...at all.
bk

OneWithWood

I tried a number of different boots but I could never find the proper last to fit my foot.  then I found Wolverine Duralast.  Very comfortable boot but not as durable as the others.  I buy a new pair every other year.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

bkaimwood

One of my portable jobs a few weeks back, a customer and I were wrestling a bick oak log up a rough bank with 2 peavys, and traction was an issue...especially when my entire sole separated from the shoe, laying in the weeds...I was continuing a brief period later, indexing the log on the mill, and the customer came walking out of his garage with said sole, covered with a dark pasty substance. I was going to continue with one leg an inch shorter than the other. He informed me that he used to re-shoe or sole horses. He put the sole on the ground, and told me to step into it. I questioned for how long? He told me a few minutes...and with that, I continued now with legs the same length...much better...weeks later, its still good! ;D
bk

steve marek

redwings is all I wear love the boot but im still climbing
WM LT40HD logrite ach 718 woodmaster timber framing tools 3000 ford tractor 359 395 husky chainsaw woodmizer e50 single blade edger woodmizer 260 moulder 2538 mahindra tractor kd 250 kiln

woodmills1

I am pretty sure that red wing boots are made in the US.  There are other shoes made by red wing but sold under other names that are made in other places.  Read the part of the wikki article under manufacture i have listed below.  If you don't like the style or fit of a boot I can understand, but the leather and design quality of red wing I find to be superior.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Wing_Shoes
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Magicman

I'm going to hold these Wolverines back and I'll be giving that Gooped Boot it's initial trial tomorrow.  Actually I may just run them until their wheels fall off.  whiteflag_smiley That will teach um from falling apart on me for sure. smiley_smash
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

hopm

I like danner....have 2 pair got about 7 years out of the 2 combined
Been wearing Wolverines the last few years. On my 3rd pair get about 18 months or so out of them.
Got the 1st pair of Redwings a couple of months ago. My son in law gave them to me cause he had quit wearing them. He went to Danners. He had bought the redwings used......these may very well be the best boots I've ever owned and no telling how old. they are.

petefrom bearswamp

I still have 2 pairs of Danner in addition to the Redwings.
The Danners with vibram soles I wore marking timber.
The older pair i bought in the early 90s in Cabelas bargain cave in Sidney  and are at my Adirondack camp for use there, the other pair here are from the early 2000s and I dont wear them much anymore but both pairs are still serviceable.
The Redwings are smooth sole not suitable for woods work but great around the mill.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Magicman

The soles came loose from my Danner boots just like they did with these John Deere boots. 

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on July 10, 2016, 06:11:58 PM
The soles came loose from my Danner boots just like they did with these John Deere boots.

Well its no wonder.....would you like me to pull the pic and show what kinda feet your boots have to deal with?
:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

:D :D :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

thecfarm

Don't you dare. I'll get the rubber bands out again!!!!  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Kbeitz

Just now got a new set of Red Wings... $204.00 Made in USA
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

fat olde elf

More Forum trivia.....Legend has it that Magic Man got his name from grateful phone customers after he got their phone service up and running. See you at the Pig Roast,,,,,,,,,,,
Cook's MP-32 saw, MF-35, Several Husky Saws, Too Many Woodworking Tools, 4 PU's, Kind Wife.

scleigh

Magic, for what its worth, I've glued the sole back on several pairs of old boots. Seems like the glue holds for a month or two then you feel that recap smacking the bottom of your foot again :D

Magicman

:D  Yup, been there.  I'll find out soon enough.   ;D

redprospector

I blame it on the terrain that I've always had to work in, but I've tried many of the afore mentioned brands, including Redwing's, and none of them lived up to my expectations. I started wearing custom built White's and Wesco's in the late 80's, and I will tell you that there is absolutely nothing that can compare to wearing a pair of boots built to fit your feet.
Unfortunately I only have one pair of Wesco's that are somewhat serviceable left. I had to quit both brands when my boots started costing me over $500.00 a pair.  :o I now wear boots from a former sponsor here (who's name I won't mention, since they made a conscious decision not to sponsor this forum), they are made in Canada. They cost about $225 or so, unless you catch them on sale, and are pretty good boots. But they are not custom fit, I guess it is what it is.

1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

4x4American

Quote from: woodmills1 on July 10, 2016, 03:19:25 PM
I am pretty sure that red wing boots are made in the US.  There are other shoes made by red wing but sold under other names that are made in other places.  Read the part of the wikki article under manufacture i have listed below.  If you don't like the style or fit of a boot I can understand, but the leather and design quality of red wing I find to be superior.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Wing_Shoes

The quality of build and materials in the red wings I have is child's play compared to my american made Chippewa's.  You're missing out!
Boy, back in my day..

woodmills1

specifically to 4x4       
You are entirely entitled to your opinion
I disagree
done with this topic with you
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Kbeitz

Quote from: 4x4American on July 09, 2016, 08:44:47 PM
I bought a pair of red wings once.  ONCE...to me they are junk.  They were in the high $200's - low $300's cant remember, made in China, and they are uncomfortable and flimsy.  A pair of the made in USA Chippewas last me quite a while.  But they are too heavy and hot for the summer.  So I get the Herman Survivors the tall "logger" ones and they are real comfrtable.  Not good for shop work tho.. I melted a hole in both of the soles the other day and they weren't but 2 days old.  I was cutting out notches for the forks on my pallet forks and wasn't paying attn and stepped on the cut out piece of molten steel.  Tell you what though, anyone needs dancing lessons come over to my shop I'll get your feet a shufflin!

I talked to the shoe store today... Yes RedWing does have shoes that come from China.... But....
They also have ones only made in USA. They said all the shoes/boots that has the sewing on
top of the shoe/boots are made in the USA. Thats the only one I buy...
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Don_Papenburg

While shoe shopping I noticed that the USA made shoes have white labels on the back side of the tongue .  The china made has black label and south American shoes have tan labels. 
I went to get redwings but they were out of my green back stash .
the had gone up in price by $50 . I bit the bullet and bought wolverine made in ,gulp, china just because I needed shoes and the were in my budget. just don't tell anyone I bought china shoes.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

4x4American

Well Kbeitz that could be my issue, I have the China redwings and they are JUNK.  But to each his own, I have a friend who prefers the Chinese Chips over the American ones because they are more comfortable to him.  MY feet are messed up and have extra bone marrow or something on the inside part below the ankle, looks like two ankles.  So I'm picky about the kinda boots I stick my feet in. 

My neighbor, bought a pair of wolverines, and they gave his foot a cut or infection or something and old sawbones ended up having to amputate his leg.  I am sure that he had something else wrong in his body to make that happen, but after that I told him I'd never buy a pair of wolverines lol
Boy, back in my day..

Magicman

You are 'posed to wear Wolverine Boots, not stick you foot in a Wolverine's mouth.  :o Them things will give you a bad infection and you will have to have your leg amputated.  But you already know that.  :D

azmtnman

Quote from: redprospector on July 11, 2016, 06:44:58 PM
I blame it on the terrain that I've always had to work in, but I've tried many of the afore mentioned brands, including Redwing's, and none of them lived up to my expectations.
I haven't found anything that can hold up to this environment. I have some Chippewa snake-proof, waterproof boots with a Vibram sole. They don't have very many miles on them and are nearly worn out.
1983 LT 30, 1990 Kubota L3750DT, 2006 Polaris 500 EFI, '03 Dodge D2500 Cummins powered 4X4 long-bed crew cab, 1961 Ford backhoe, Stihl MS250, MS311 and MS661--I cut trees for my boss who was a Jewish carpenter!

Thank You Sponsors!