The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Dynamic Green Products Inc.

Author Topic: Behind on projects can = bad customer service  (Read 2988 times)

Offline cliffreaves

• Full Member x2
  • Finally figuring things out.
    • Share Post
Behind on projects can = bad customer service
« on: August 04, 2016, 09:17:59 PM »
I know you fine people can offer guidance on this topic.  Some of us are far more organized than others and can structure their days, weeks, months, and even years in a way that is beyond my comprehension.   I'm more of a go with the flow kinda guy, but if I have a project that I have guaranteed within a certain time frame then I will find a way to get it done.  However, life happens to us all and there may come a job that just can't get done on time. 
Dilemma:  if I have a project that I estimated would be done within 15-30 days and it has now been 75 days.  No true finishing point is presenting itself.   What is my responsibility as the producer of the project?  What is the best way to approach the customer?
1. The customer has paid in full
2. The customer has asked a couple times about the status.
3. I have already purchased all the materials to produce the project.

Offline Jim_Rogers

• Senior Member x2
  • Keep your chisels sharp.
    • Share Post
    • jrsawmill.com
Re: Behind on projects can = bad customer service
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2016, 09:51:44 PM »
You have two choices.
Do the project next, if possible.
Or refund the money and return the materials purchased.

If you want to do the project, contact the customer with a sincere apology that his project got delayed because of other "life" events (some beyond your control). And ask him if he wants you to proceed or to stop and get a refund. 

Good luck with your situation and hopefully all will work out.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2016, 10:02:34 PM »
   I think Jim is spot on with his answers.

Another question - did you promise to complete the project by a certain date? If so and you have not been in regular contact and I were the customer I'd be pithed. Having said that you may still salvage your reputation by contacting the customer with a sincere answer and apology. If he wants you to continue I'd also be thinking about how to offer something extra to make him think the extra wait was worth it. Make it bigger, better, prettier, or whatever applies or offer a discount as appropriate.

IMO your reputation is your most important asset.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline POSTON WIDEHEAD

• Senior Member x2
  • Getting old but doing it with Friends.
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2016, 10:20:40 PM »
Are all your projects like this or is this a one time occurrence?
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Offline North River Energy

• Share Post
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2016, 10:31:48 PM »
Bad customer service is not communicating with your customer, and then making excuses when you know you aren't going to meet your obligations .
It's one thing if the customer continually issues changes to the project, and those changes create delays.
It's another if you bit off more than you could chew, or didn't account for the possibility of the 'life' wrench dancing among the gears.

Give the customer the option of a refund or further delayed delivery at a date you absolutely know you can meet. Present them the opportunity to exercise some control over their situation.

Offline cliffreaves

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2016, 10:56:19 PM »
Alright, I'm actually the customer in this situation.   I'm sorry for posting in the way I did, but I'm really trying to put myself in this guy's shoes and I'm trying to give him the benefit of every doubt.   I wanted to get everyone's thoughts on my situation without potentially shedding a bad light on someone.   However, I didn't think about how bad it would make me look so now I'm regretting my approach in the post.  sorry again if the way I posted this seems deceitful, but I just wanted to make it more of a "parable" post for myself. 🤔
I think I'll contact this guy one more time and see if he can push my project through quickly or refund me.

Offline Sixacresand

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2016, 07:42:23 AM »
Bad customer service is not communicating with your customer,
I ordered a metal carport.  It was suppose to be delivered in 3-4 weeks.  They called in about 6 weeks for a delivery date, missed, rescheduled, missed, rescheduled, missed.  All the communication was from the company office.  Never had communication with the installer, from whom I could have probably got a more realistic installation date.  Finally, I cancelled the order even though I lost a $100 down payment. 
Off your bottom and on your feet, out the shade and back in the heat! Back to work boys!

Offline gspren

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2016, 09:17:29 AM »
  Your statement "no true finishing point is presenting itself" makes it sound like you are not sure how to finish. You may need to get help even at a loss.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, JD 2355 4X4 w/fel, JD 620, Yamaha Kodiak 400 & trailer, Kubota 400 RTV,  P&M OWB, 75 acres to play.

Offline never finished

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2016, 04:45:57 PM »
 cliffreaves nice of you to come clean. But I think your approach was very well executed. That's one way to keep your friends honest. Maybe one last friendly visit. Explaining this is the last friendly visit. To give this person their chance to come clean as to what the real problem is, would be appropriate. That's great advice someone that might not handle it so nicely. I'm sure I should, just don't know I could. Good luck   

Offline cliffreaves

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2016, 10:23:49 PM »
I made one more phone call this morning.   There was no answer so I just left one last firm but friendly message.   I said I needed to hear from him a definite completion date or I would regretfully have to cancel my order and request a refund.  (Bare in mind I've never heard from this person, but have received email responses from his assistant).  Later this evening, I received a notification that my item had shipped.  Finally! lol .  So, if I like the product, and think its well made, should I recommend it to people or not?  What are your thoughts?

Offline cliffreaves

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2016, 10:37:25 PM »
That's one way to keep your friends honest.

That was the exact intent.  I'm glad you understood that.😃  It still felt shady after I did it, so probably won't try that again.  Lol

Offline North River Energy

• Share Post
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2016, 10:51:51 PM »
You'd have been better off to shoot straight from the get go.
In both circumstances.

I tend to recommend vendors that don't need prodding, and take it upon themselves to do the job for which they've been paid.
There are those who obviously want your business, and those who don't. Assuming I had friends, I wouldn't knowingly expose them to unnecessary headaches. :D

Offline Brucer

• Senior Member x2
  • The Kootenay Sawyer - retired (for now)
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2016, 12:05:18 AM »
Wait until you get the item(s) before celebrating. 35 years ago Barb and I ordered a custom-made bed from a local furniture store. The store owner dealt with a manufacturer from Quebec and had a few very nice examples of their work on display.

We finally received the bed (6 week delivery) a year later. We and the store owner were very frustrated: during the course of a year, the bed had been "lost in transit" 3 times, the factory had "burned down" twice, and several times they were "sure we already shipped it." The quality was excellent but we'd never have ordered if we knew what a run-around we'd be getting. The store owner felt so badly that he knocked the price down.

The lesson here for all of us is to never place a customer in your position. If you have a problem making a deadline, tell the customer right away. Be sure to keep in touch regularly during the delay period. Customers hate to feel that they're being ignored; calling them before they have to call you shows you aren't ignoring them.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw with two 6' extensions.
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Offline YellowHammer

• Senior Member x2
  • Take Steps to Save Steps
    • Share Post
    • Hobby Hardwood Alabama
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2016, 12:36:41 AM »
I never recommend anybody that isn't reliable, dependable, skillful, diligent and honest.  Certainly, I have been snookered more than once, initially, but never would I give them repeat business.  I abide by the old saying, "Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me."

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it wont roll, its not a log; its still a piece of tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not pieces of trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, theyre burned, and you cant fix them.  Dont burn the cookies.

Offline cliffreaves

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2016, 01:05:42 AM »
You'd have been better off to shoot straight from the get go.

I totally agree.  Hind sight is... well you know how the rest goes. 
You guys are right of course.   I hope my run around isn't as bad as what some of you have described, sheesh!  I think my best course of action assuming I receive the item and love it, will be to just be thankful I didn't have to wait longer and count my losses.  If it doesn't get here like it's supposed to, I'll just get my $$$ refunded. 
One more dilemma:  if someone is contemplating buying the same item as I did, I'll feel obligated to warn them about what they may have to put up with.  Once again if I think the product is good, but they'll just have to wait longer than expected without any real effort for communication, then that'll be easy to explain.    However, if the product also doesn't compare to other similar models then should I adamantly steer people away from this product? Or should I just keep my mouth shut and give this guy another chance to either redeem himself or repeat his mistake?
I've spent most of my adult life working in customer service and i obviously have a hard time complaining about someone else...
Thanks for bearing with me on this post.

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2016, 06:29:28 AM »
When I buy something,I want it. Yes,if they say it will take 8 weeks to build it,than I wait 8 weeks. As I say,I work hard for my money and I buy something,I want it to work the way it should and I want it when they said it will be here.
I feel you have gotten real bad service,I myself would not send anyone their way. What will happen now,if the product does not work well under the warranty time?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline cliffreaves

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2016, 08:03:30 AM »
Supposedly there is free lifetime service according to the website.   If I get a lemon, I'll just fedex it back and have PayPal get my money back for me.  Hopefully it doesn't come to that though.

Offline Ox

• Senior Member x2
  • Trying to learn/remember something new every day.
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2016, 08:44:35 AM »
The suspense is killing me!  I'd love to know what is sold today with free lifetime service.  Latest great thing that happened in my meager little life is a new DeWalt angle grinder, 4 1/2", with a free 1 year service and repair plan.  3 year warranty and a 90 day money back guarantee.  Sounds good, right?  I bet if it came right down to it, this would be a nightmare to get through if needed, all the while you're without a grinder!  :D

K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Offline Savannahdan

• Retired.
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2016, 12:01:40 PM »
When this type thing happens you (the customer) generally share the bad service information with other folks.  I had a similar thing happen recently in which a local lawn mower shop was to do some work for me.  My equipment sat at their facility for over 4 months.  They were telling me that they couldn't get the replacement part from the manufacturer (Kohler).  So I grabbed the bull by the horns and bought a brand new part off of Ebay for about a $100 less than the original quote from the local shop.  In the interim I commented to at least 10 or more folks how bad the service was.  I got my equipment and it runs great but I also lost some business during the interim.  In a nutshell I will not be using the local shop again.
Husqvarna 3120XP, Makita DCS7901 Chainsaw, 30" & 56" Granberg Chain Saw Mill, Logosol M8 Farmers Mill

Offline Oliver05262

• Share Post
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2020, 10:23:50 PM »
I just found this thread, and I was going to give it a like until I noticed that it was 4 years old! It does describe me to a T. I have a dozen projects in various stages of incompleteness, and my honey-do list is even longer and growing almost daily. Hers come first, ours are next unless they are mostly hers, and then my plans come tagging along behind. I am still out doing repair jobs for customers, and its hard to say no to old friends. I do admit that I have to get my priorities straight.
Dang! This is starting to seem like a meeting where I stand up and say hi, my names Oliver and I am a guy who cant organize my time.
"You can't do wrong by doing good"

It's OK to cry.

I never did say goodby to my invisible friend.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Customer projects (barns and out buildings)

Started by Jim_Rogers on Timber Framing/Log construction

18 Replies
Last post September 30, 2020, 06:45:08 PM
by Stephen1
xx
Customer's projects pictures thread

Started by Jim_Rogers on Sawmills and Milling

379 Replies
Last post November 06, 2020, 10:12:45 PM
by JRWoodchuck
xx
Customer Service done right