iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

another table

Started by tule peak timber, September 15, 2016, 07:46:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tule peak timber

Yes, I certainly do, Richard somebody or other-never smiled..... :)
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Den Socling

newoodguy78

That is one serious undertaking you have going there. 8) I enjoy seeing your projects and some of your "outside the box" techniques. No doubt you'll pull it off, definitely will be watching this one closely.

Peter Drouin

How do you price something like that? With the cutting and drying you must have close to $5/600 in to it by now.
I know you do stuff like this all the time and that will give an Idear how long it will take. But, all wood is not the same. :)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

tule peak timber

Good questions. Bluntly; the economics of logs, wood and woodworking vary quite a bit from coast to coast. I earlier posted that I have continuous progression of tables/bartops going through here and I am booked out through sometime next year. We just recently finished a job we started in early 2015. That said, if you built these things one at a time, with the amount of time it takes to produce an exceptional piece, you would go broke. There is not a lot of profit margin in any one of these pieces and if we didn't multi task in the shop, the shop rate would dive preciously close to single digits when it needs to be triple digits. So, there is an old saying, I make up for my losses in volume. When I fished, I used to occasionally come to the docks and see guys coming in with 30-$100,000 swordfish loads. I chose another path with rockcod and slime eels at 0.50/lb but I pounded at it 7 days a week. The swordfish guys would sneer at me with their 2-3 trips/year and me working like a crazy person. End of the year, every year, I was the one who sneered at them, in private, looking at my tax returns. It's just sort of the way I do things.
Going back to pricing, it is a combination of the obvious business plan of what it takes you to run, plus a little profit and what the traffic will bear. I can't get the prices for my quality work -  that lesser work gets in the big city because I own a sawmill. The assumption is, people are buying cut rate wood/services when they go to a sawmill. And we all know the fallacy in that. We are just thinking about changing our business and adding basically a storefront and salespeople and that will drastically change how we figure pricing. As a matter of fact, that is something we are working on this weekend.
How do you figure pricing? It's a little science, a little math and knowing your business (and a little magic).

OffGrid973

I smell a pig roast for the metro area coming together with MM as the guest of honor.  I can imagine rite leg would take the trip down, now we just need a location where there are lots of table tops and projects underway for show and tell.  TPT - any ideas :)
Your Fellow Woodworker,
- Off Grid

tule peak timber

Nothing better than the aroma of pork a' smokin, but the metro area for me is LA, San Diego and Palm Springs. We certainly support any functions of the FF.

Ljohnsaw

Now that there is a Pig Roast I could actually make! 8)
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Peter Drouin

No matter where you are Pricing can be a big factor. For me, long timbers are Tuff sometimes .
Thanks for the info tule
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Jemclimber

I love to see your projects, and I know documenting them takes time. So, I want to say thanks for taking us along.
lt15

WDH

My strategy is to price the wood for a project as if I am selling it to the customer.  Then, I quote them an hourly rate to build the project.  I keep up with my shop time, and multiply the # of hours x the hourly rate, add the cost of the wood, and that is what they get charged.  If the customer is so concerned with paying me by the hour for quality, one-of-a-kind pieces, then that is a customer that I do not want, anyway. 

There are times where I quote a lump sum price, but that is for projects that I have had a good bit of experience making, so I know the reasonable amount of time it will take, and I can go from there.  However, most times when I tried making something new or custom, and I tried to estimate the time to build, I almost always came out short.  It seems that it always takes longer to make something than you think. 

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

scleigh

It seems that it always takes longer to make something than you think. 

I hear that every weekend when I come i from sawing :D :D :D :D

YellowHammer

TPL, you park a forklift on the slabs?  At what EMC? How long? Don't they cracK?
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Den Socling

I wondered about that, too. Doesn't that leave stressed wood?

tule peak timber

The heavy lift is strategically driven over the kiln dried slabs to induce cracks, thereby relieving wood stress. There is a sandy spot in front of the shop where I dig shallow trenches, chalk out where I want to fracture and then pressure is applied. On a work table, I do the same thing with dozens of clamps and steel bars and then a sudden strike with a 20 lb. sledgehammer. I liken my method to cleaving a diamond or as I said earlier, realigning a bad break in an athlete's bone. Stress in a slab can also be corrected by scoring on the back, then clamping to a true surface but my method is a procedure that doesn't produce the unpleasant side effects of saw kerf marks, plus it is very fast. Rob

Magicman

QuoteI liken my method to cleaving a diamond
I like this definition because you Sir are indeed "cleaving diamonds".
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

Mighty clever guy!! May I ask how you figured all that out??
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

tule peak timber

How did I get to this point, I pretty much tried everything else in the book. I've tried steaming, scoring, preloading with an antitwist, each with some success but the crack and reset is rapid and I have to do a lot of slabs per week. I have attached a pic of the partially flattened slabs laid out on the floor to be oversized trimmed for the proper character pattern I want on the top. I am trying to get the overall look to be like a giant 4 legged spider using the crotch flames for legs. This necessitates angling the cuts on each of the bookmatched/endmatched sets to get things to point to the center. Tomorrow we will continue our flattening journey. Rob

POSTON WIDEHEAD

This is getting deep. Keep it up.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

tule peak timber

The first of the four slabs was flattened to near perfection today, and squared on two edges . Next it is grooved to accept the splines that will hold the table together. Got my leg design "ok'd", and we are working on the finish/edge sample.  Rob

tule peak timber

The last of the four pieces, sanded flat then dadoed for the splines. It is important to dado right out of the sander when the wood is good and flat and atmospheric changes haven't affected it yet.

Next I map out the scrap pieces for the leg and stretcher parts

After resawing ,and planing, and sanding oversized I let the veneers relax a bit overnight before final sanding to size. Tomorrow I will start setting up the curved stretcher with these veneers.  Rob

Raider Bill

Table number 2 complete. My days of woodworking are numbered. 3 end tables to go.
I put at least 15 coats of poly on this table. After about 3 coats I'd have to sand it all down and start over for various reasons like dust, brush strokes, sweat drops.
I'd never make a body/paint man
Sanding sucks

The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.
My advice on aging gracefully... ride fast bikes and date faster women, drink good tequila, practice your draw daily, be honest and fair in your dealings, but suffer not fools. Eat a hearty breakfast, and remember, ALL politicians are crooks.

thecfarm

Table looks good!!
Brenda would like the floor.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Kbeitz

All that work and you use poly?  Do you ever use epoxy?
I think it's so much faster for tables and bars.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

21incher

What is going on? all those nice looking slabs are rectangles now. :o :o :o :o
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Thank You Sponsors!