iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

another table

Started by tule peak timber, September 15, 2016, 07:46:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Gaiche

What a master piece. Thanks for all the photos of this project. Will be watching to see your next build. bg

Jeff

Okay, we're ready to watch the next build!
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Bruno of NH

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

scsmith42

Spectacular, as always.

Do you have any pix of the construction techniques on the mantle/safe?  I would be interested in learning more about it.

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

tule peak timber

I sure can blog the nest hollow mantle that comes up ! I build quite a few a year. Everyone have  a safe  healthy Thanksgiving.  Rob

persistence personified - never let up , never let down

YellowHammer

Most impressive!!  Truly a work of art and skill! 
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

21incher

That just came out amazing. I hope you got it to them in time for Thanksgiving. ;D Can't wait to see the next one. :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Peter Drouin

Do you have the finish on all sides of the top? Is the bottom sealed?
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

tule peak timber

Yes , all sides have the same finishing schedule. The top gets a lot more attention to make sure that it is perfect, but everything is thoroughly sealed.

boardmaker

Great thread!

Amazing work!!!

tule peak timber

Quote from: scsmith42 on November 23, 2016, 05:39:10 PM
Spectacular, as always.

Do you have any pix of the construction techniques on the mantle/safe?  I would be interested in learning more about it.

Scott
Is anyone interested on a mantle build thread ?

69bronco

Quote from: tule peak timber on January 14, 2017, 10:32:32 AM
Spectacular, as always.

Scott
Absolutely!

submarinesailor

Quote from: tule peak timber on January 14, 2017, 10:32:32 AM
Spectacular, as always.

Scott

YES!!!!

thecfarm

Me three. The way you build with word??  :)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

reedco

WOW!! I would not know where to start.  Retail wants to take 1/2 and all they have is a roof and a phone.
Not many trees

tule peak timber

The big walnut table is leaving tomorrow morning along with a walnut chest of drawers. The next batch of tables start on Tuesday. I will start a "hollow mantle " thread next week. Cheers  Rob

bucknwfl

He is a nice looking tom

Oh yea nice table too

Buck
If it was easy everybody would be doing it

tule peak timber

The chest of drawers that goes with it tomorrow.  Rob

21incher

A couple more amazing pieces of art out your door. Looking forward to the mantle thread.  8) 8)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

scsmith42

Looking forward to the mantle thread.

On a side note, Rob do you know of any flexible material that could be used to fill surface checks on a large oak beam that already has been treated with a tung oil finish?  The beam is still green and will be drying for the next several years.  It's going to be used as a seating bench in a public area.

I'm concerned about splinters developing at the edges of the checks.  I'm not sure that epoxy would be a good answer because it may pull away over time as the beam continues to dry.  Any suggestions?

Thx.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

tule peak timber

Hi SC, You are correct that epoxy is the wrong material. 3-M 5200 comes to mind first and you might look at boat deck caulking , like butal rubber. Then there are the post catalyzed urethane's .  When we produce something like your bench  we use small dental burrs and completely eat out-smooth out all cracks . Sometimes this takes more than a  few days of labor but we don't depend on any filler that may future fail. hope this helps  Rob

69bronco

Has anyone tried g-flex or similar?

tule peak timber

I have not tried G-flex. I will try  to find the data sheet from Gugeon brothers for a look at the shore-d ratings. I have used an epoxy system called Shell Epon , and they have a hardener that will make their epoxy like stiff rubber. Pretty obscure stuff.....You can also research post catalyzed silicon rubber put out by Dow corning  , I have experience with this stuff also. I can also give you the contact info of a company I use, that will customize epoxy to your specific needs. Then there are the guys in Texas.... All  specialized chemicals..... Rob

Larry

I use a lot of G-Flex and thinks its a great product.  That was my first thought when SC asked, but after thinking a bit it won't do what he wants.  Too much movement IMO and I'm not sure how good of bond can be obtained with green wood that's had tung oil on it.

One of the great things about quality products, especially West Systems is one can call and usually ask an engineer about how the product will perform.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Thank You Sponsors!