iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Can you tell the wood type just from the smell?

Started by flatrock58, September 27, 2016, 09:57:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flatrock58

I cut for myself and have mostly cut pine and red oak.  In the last week I cut some aromatic cedar, red oak, wild cherry, ambrosia maple, pine and black walnut.  When the wood is freshly cut it is amazing to walk in the barn and notice the different smells of the wood. 
I can image most people that have done this for a while could tell the species based on smell alone.
2001 LT40 Super Kubota 42
6' extension
resaw attachment
CBN Sharpener
Cooks Dual Tooth Setter
Solar Kiln

Joe Hillmann

Red oak and pines and cedar all have very specific smells.  Basswood when it is being cut has no smell but a few hours later it starts to smell and the smell just gets stronger the dryer it gets.

Gearbox

A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

Andries

I'd second that Gearbox, American Elm.
Buddy calls it stink wood.
Pretty close to smelling like a lotta cat pee on a hot day.
:-\
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

YellowHammer

Sassafras - smells great the first log, just like root beer, but after sawing it for a day or two, I can't get the stink out of my nose for a week. 

Red maple is about the same - subtle, but after a big whack of logs....whew..

Walnut with black pith, smells like cow manure...

Ah what the heck, I like the smell of all wood, it smells like money... ;D

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

OffGrid973

Elm = Hot cat pee, would that mean we want to avoid throwing it in the stove?  Is the heat worth the stink :)
Your Fellow Woodworker,
- Off Grid

Ianab

:D

Lil says she's been on the forum too long because she can tell what sort of wood I've been working with by how I smell when I come inside. Port Orford Cedar is her least favorite, it has a very strong and distinctive ginger sort of smell. It's not unpleasant, but if gives her a headache. So off to the shower and change of clothes before I get any cuddles.  :D

Cypress or most other woods I can get away with calling it "Man Glitter"  ;D
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

ozarkgem

Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

Bill Ragosta

I recently had some American chestnut sawed and it smells really nice.  I can smell it in the barn or on the back porch if wood is there even weeks after being cut.  Black birch (and probably white and yellow as well) also has a very distinctive and very nice smell.

caveman

I store a lot of my logs in a pond to keep them fresh.  They saw great and the bark sluffs off easily but boy do they smell bad until the sawn logs dry out.  Also, if you want one to saw that will open up your sinuses, saw up a big camphor log (like sticking Vick's Vapor Rub up your nostrils).

Caveman

Ron Wenrich

Black birch gives the wintergreen smell.  Can't say the same for black gum.  Stinks worse than elm.  To me, all wood has an odor, and it can be identifiable, especially in the hardwoods.

Tulip poplar, ailanthus, hickory, oak, black locust, sassafrass, ash, walnut are all fragrant enough to set themselves apart from other wood. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

goose63

American Elm STINKS for sure.

Happy Birthday Ron
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

sandsawmill14

happy birthday ron :) :)
hickory maple w/oak hackberry poplar and ash all have a very distinct and somewhat pleasant smell  while cottonwood elm walnut and some r/oak dont smell so good :o sasafrass
erc and pine are some of the best smelling that i saw imo :)  and you can tell each blindfolded after you been sawing for a while  :D
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

OldMasterTech

Slightly off topic but my fondest childhood aromatic wood memories are spending hot summer days exploring North Carolina Southern Yellow Pine forests. The smell of those trees and their sap is great!
All gave some ** Some gave all
Never forget

paul case

I have sawn enough that i can smell very little of the wood anymore and taste none of it! ;D

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Kbeitz

Working on a Christmas tree farm this is the time of year for smellin trees.
Concolor, fir and spruce gives off the strongest smells.

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Percy

Sitka spruce smells like wood glue to me
W-Red cedar smells like....uhhh.. W-Red cedar
Yellow cedar green logs smell like cat pee too....but after its cut and drying, it smells nicer but still very strong...
Balsam-poop
Hemlock-nicer poop
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Ox

Short answer - yes!

Story answer - We milled a bunch of popple/poplar/quaking aspen for paneling in a small barn.  Put it up green and while it was drying in there I could hardly breathe.  Seemed like formaldehyde type stenches filling the place.  Made me a little nauseous. 

Red maple has an...interesting...smell while green.  Not horrible but not nice either.

Perhaps my most aromatic is fresh red pine.  Pinus resinosa.  Even in a rotten tree the knots are excellent fat lighter.  This is probably true in most pines, though.  I wouldn't know.  I've been in north Appalachia my whole life so I'm not exactly a well traveled and learned fella.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

WV Sawmiller

Happy birthday Ron and many happy returns. Hope to be reading your posts on the FF when I am 100.

Quote from: cwimer973 on September 27, 2016, 11:43:37 PM
Elm = Hot cat pee, would that mean we want to avoid throwing it in the stove?  Is the heat worth the stink :)

Okay, does Hot Cat Pee smell different than cold cat pee? Please tell me and I will take your word for it then I won't have to test myself to get the answer. :D

I have repeatedly said Ash smells to me like old honey (like I used to smell around a bee tree back when they still nested in the woods and survived over several years).

Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

How do you go about heating a cat?  How do you know when it is hot enough to pee??   ???   :o
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Sixacresand

"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

JRWoodchuck

Black Locust stands out for me. Haven't milled very much wood yet but that one is very distinct!
Home built bandsaw mill still trying find the owners manual!

paul case

Quote from: Magicman on September 28, 2016, 01:21:12 PM
How do you go about heating a cat?  How do you know when it is hot enough to pee??   ???   :o

????
You made me laugh. Thanks

PC
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
pc

SineWave

Green white oak always smells like whiskey to me.

btulloh

Reminds me of an old joke.  Ya'll probably heard it.  Can't tell it here anyway.
HM126

Peter Drouin

I smell a lot of Pine and Hemlock,  :D :D W Oak from time to time.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Carson-saws

Allanthus altissima aka: tree of Heaven...very stinky
Let the Forest be salvation long before it needs to be

Brian C.

Black Locust and cotton wood really stink. Cherry kind of sweet and ash, I agree, like honey. White oak smells like whisky because it is stored in white oak barrels, especially bourbon and the longer in the barrels the better. Pines definitely smell, some sweet and some like what the sap makes-turpentine. But it is all good, well almost.

And MM, the cat is hot enough when it act like it is on a hot tin roof.

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: Brian C. on September 28, 2016, 08:40:44 PM
Black Locust and cotton wood really stink.

Brian,

Can't comment on cottonwood since haven't sawed it.

As to Black locust, I wonder if we are talking wood of different ages. Fresh cut black locust smells nice - like green peanuts to me. (Maybe we just disagree about how green peanuts smell :D.) I don't remember a significant odor on my dry black locust especially those where the bark has already slipped.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Joey Grimes

One of the worst smelling woods we cut is sycamore my wife says it smells like a dentist office? I have heard cottonwood is the worst
94 woodmizer lt40 HD kabota 5200 ford 4000 94 international 4700 flatbed and lots of woodworking tools.

Chop Shop

When I get home, even before I unlock the gate I can smell the Western Red Cedar!   I never tire of the smell of cedar and fir!

sandsawmill14

the cottonwood smells like cleaning out stalls in a horse barn :-\
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

Chop Shop

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on September 28, 2016, 11:32:37 AM
   Okay, does Hot Cat Pee smell different than cold cat pee?

Yes it does.    Just find an old junk car that cats have been living and spraying/peeing on the seats for years and wait till a nice hot day and open the door.  It will knock you out.

redprospector

Quote from: Magicman on September 28, 2016, 01:21:12 PM
Microwave oven is the preferred method around here. About 90 seconds should have it plenty hot.  ;)
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

Kbeitz

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

longtime lurker

Working in rainforest is different- its dark to gloomy in there a lot of the time, the trees are tall and it can be near impossible to see the leaves with any clarity. So smell is important as a means of identifying different species, or sometimes at least knowing what its not. There are about 100 commercially usefull species of tree in the FNQ rainforest, and several hundred more non commercial species.

Some of them smell nice, some dont. On some the smell leaves quick, with some the smell lingers in the mill for months. A lot of them smell like foodstuffs... juicy fruit chewing gum/ anniseed/ cucumbers/ sugar cane/ green apples / molasses... and even one thats a distinctive chicken fried steak.

Food, it always comes back to food. :D

The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

paul case

There ya go! I thought we would finally get around to it.

Pc
pc

21incher

I can tell by the bugs that the fresh sawn wood attracts. When I saw ash I get bees all over the fresh cut wood. When I saw walnut I get hundreds of flys on the fresh cut lumber. Saw maple and ants show up, about the only wood that does not attract bugs is cotton wood. :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

LAZERDAN

Wait a minute, 21incher i think you missed the punch line.  Cottonwood attracts STINK bugs!! 

killamplanes

we have water oak-swamp oak that smells pretty bad. several easy to identify, walnut, w/o, cottonwood, sycamore.
jd440 skidder, western star w/grapple,tk B-20 hyd, electric, stihl660,and 2X661. and other support Equipment, pallet manufacturing line

Planman1954

I sure can....with eyes closed could call....cedar, cypress, walnut, oak, and pine....and that's the only ones I've ever sawn. Working all your life with certain species, it becomes easy to smell em and know em!
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 / Solar Dry Kiln /1943 Ford 9n tractor

customsawyer

I never have any problem identifying pignut hickory. Think of a hog pen and you get the idea.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Ianab

And then there is the woods that seem to have no smell....  ???

I hauled home a couple of smaller Alder logs last weekend and milled them up today. (Huge things about the size of a large fence post  :D )

But I noticed no distinctive smell. Now I thought that was unusual. Most woods I cut I can tell by the smell.

BTW, the "big" log scaled at 11 bd/ft Int, and I recovered  14  8)   Or Doyle scale it was 3..  Hows that for over run.  ;D Grade and production rate wasn't so great.   :D
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Carson-saws

longtime lurker..... :D...maybe that's why we are always hungry?
Let the Forest be salvation long before it needs to be

PoginyHill

Resurrecting an old thread...

In the veneer mill, logs are heated to about 150 deg, so the smell they produce is particularly strong - especially if you sniff in the vapor coming off freshly cut veneer. There are two species that are processed cold - yellow poplar, which smells like sour milk, and basswood, which doesn't smell much - a faint odor similar to the odor when it burns, but not as strong. Among the "cooked" species (pardon any descriptions you might find at a wine tasting party):

red oak - acidic, but pleasantly nutty. Being in the mill when red oak is being cut is good if you are congested  :laugh:. But the smell sticks to your clothes. Don't go on a date right after work
white oak - bleach
white birch and yellow birch smell similar - hard to compare it to anything, but very distinctive once you learn it.
black birch - very strong wintergreen
white ash - sweet and nutty. My favorite. If it only tasted that good.
maples - nothing strong or easy to describe. Rather slight aroma but like w & y birch, distinctive.

So, the answer to the OP's question - in a veneer mill, yes. Very easy to tell what is being cut when you walk into the mill.
Kubota M7060 & B2401, Metavic log trailer, Cat E70B, Cat D5C, 750 Grizzly ATV, Wallenstein FX110, 84" Landpride rotary hog, Classic Edge 750, Stihl 170, 261, 462

moodnacreek

People comment about the wood smells here. I only smell a different species coming in.

hilltopper46

Sometimes when I turn dry ash wood I think it smells like popcorn.
Southeast Wisconsin
Stihl MS290
Husqvarna 576XP
Skil 1642

EZ Boardwalk Jr

Farmall 60A with Loader, Grapple and Forks

btulloh

Yes, in many cases.

Reminds me of an old joke I can't tell on the FF. 
HM126

YellowHammer

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

handhewn

White fir is commonly referred to as "pith Fir" here in Northern Calif. and for good reason. That stuff just takes my breath away sometimes as I saw.

moodnacreek

Quote from: YellowHammer on August 06, 2021, 03:27:21 PM
Walnut smells like new $$$$
Yes it does and cedar is the other wood you never loose money on.

caveman

Yesterday, while John was in the canoe in the pond looking for some 8' or 16' heart pine logs so we could finish our order, he came across a log that he was trying to identify.

We have live oak, cypress, cedar, pine, and a few others.  He reached down into the water and pulled off some of the bark from the log in question.  He correctly identified it by smell.  It was camphor.  Camphor smells like Vick's Vapor Rub.

We pulled it and will saw live edged slabs out of it.
Caveman

Don P

My wife's folks had a heavily carved camphor "kist", chest, they brought back from Indonesia. Quite a piece, I guess it had started with ~9/4 stock. I couldn't smell it until opened, much like a cedar chest. Then it would clear whatever ailed you.

Quercusrubrum

Walking into an industrial spruce mill is interesting I like the smell, but it almost has a chemical smell to it... Like an industrial cleaner. 

Ive never milled aspen, but I love the smell when it is harvested. Kind of musty, but I like it. 
Never cross a river that is 4 feet deep on average.

terrifictimbersllc

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

moodnacreek

Tulip tree has a pleasant odor but only a certain time of year when it also has violet stripes that disappear in the air. Red pine can smell like tomato. Atlantic white cedar has the most pleasant smell but it is faint.

cutterboy

The smell of sawn white pine is very nice, but after sawing it for a few days I don't like the smell any more.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

WDH

White oak and walnut are both very aromatic and distinctive when sawn and they are my favorites.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Wattwood

Eastern cottonwood smell like a prewar Gibson banjo case...or the other way around depending on what you're standing next to.
LT15 Electric and a couple Ferguson tractors

Don P

We got burned out and up on WRC. People would come into a house, "doesn't that smell wonderful". In my mind I was thinking, every bug on the planet recognizes that as poison, we aren't that bright  :D.

DanMc

Don—. It's not a matter of smarts.  We don't eat the wood. Lol

Glad to see this thread getting some more attention.  
LT35HDG25
JD 4600, JD2210, JD332 tractors.
28 acres of trees, Still have all 10 fingers.
Jesus is Lord.

Thank You Sponsors!