iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Dry weather.

Started by HiTech, October 02, 2016, 06:24:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HiTech

This years draught I believe will show up as a defect in the trees. This years growth ring will be quite evident. Maybe enough to downgrade lumber then maybe not. I have seen years when tent caterpillars are prevalent it shows in the growth rings. Any ideas?

timberlinetree

This is the dryest I have seen it. Did they grow at all?
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

wannaergo

It's crazy that you guys are having a drought. We have had an unbelievable amount of rain. Everything is just soaked. Lots of guys are just decking wood and can't get trucks into their jobs because of mud.
2016 Ponsse ergo 8w
2014 Cat 564
Husky 385

coxy

ill have mud till spring now after this rain  ;D

treeslayer2003

Quote from: coxy on October 02, 2016, 08:47:30 AM
ill have mud till spring now after this rain  ;D
same here. i just that storm don't come up here. we already had 14-15 inches in the last couple weeks.

coxy

:o :o you can keep that much rain we may have gotten 1-11/2 in the last few days but its been nice and slow so the ground is taking it good but every thing was so dry it will be a big mud pit  :(

chevytaHOE5674

Wettest I ever remember it here. Mud everywhere, only been logging 3-4 days a week between the rains most of the time. We are just cutting and decking since there is no way a log truck is making it into the woods. Probably wont dry UP until it freezes now.

thecfarm

Mud,the only mud I see is around the river and the brooks beds because of lack of water. It did rain last night,we are gaining,but still way behind on water. Wells are going dry,not much for second crop hay either.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Autocar

Years ago we had a 4-H club on forestry and kept track of a number of trees here in our woods. It is hard to believe but the ones here grew more on a dry year then a wet summer. We were dry into late June then it started to rain and Iam beginning to wonder if the crops will ever be taken off so I can get back to work.
Bill

grassfed

It has been really dry here but like Autocar said most of my trees grew well. The softwoods in the wetter areas and even the sugar maples on the dryer hills. The sugar maples had very healthy leaves and are just now beginning to turn. The exception is that every so often I do see individual trees that turned brown and died. It has been my experience that  the trees that die off first are the ones that are rooted on thinner soils over ledge outcroppings. Those trees go first and if we have more dry years in a row then more trees will start dieing. Most shallow wells are dry I have a 12 foot deep well by one of my fields and it has only about a foot of water.
Mike

chevytaHOE5674

Hasn't rained in like 2 or 3 days here and I was just out with the loader trying to push back some encroaching brush from the edge of a hay field and on my first push had the tractor down to axle in the mud. Pushed myself backwards with the bucket and by the time I was able to get off the tractor my ruts had filled right to the top with water. May have to wait until the ground starts freezing before I try again.

coxy

I'm glad we drilled a well about 18 years ago or I would be some stinky mess :) are spring most years with little rain would go dry in august   if you go and pull the top off my well you can here the water running in the well next door is the same way we are only down 365ft and only 20ft of casing  the other wells around us are 450-600ft and not much water go figure  it was funny when they where drilling every piece of drill steal they put on was red/lilac color or the nicest blue blue color rock I ever seen

Ken

Quote from: HiTech on October 02, 2016, 06:24:29 AM
This years draught I believe will show up as a defect in the trees. This years growth ring will be quite evident. Maybe enough to downgrade lumber then maybe not. I have seen years when tent caterpillars are prevalent it shows in the growth rings. Any ideas?

Although there will be a noticeable difference in the growth rings between a wet season and a dry one I don't think it would make a lot of difference in the long term quality of the trees lumber.   This may be different in regions where the trees grow much faster.
That being said we have had a wonderful summer.  Just enough rain to keep the forest index down. 
Lots of toys for working in the bush

Thank You Sponsors!