iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Does anyone else have trouble working with family?

Started by Shamus Mcquail, October 03, 2016, 01:43:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okrafarmer

It can be frustrating working with anyone you disagree with. I'd say, whether you work with him or not, love your dad. Don't appreciate him for the way he does things, appreciate him for who he is.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Cedarman

My youngest son Ian  (Cedar ninja) pretty much runs the mill.  I set the job priorities and he gets them done.  Trust is something that develops over time.  He has shown he can make the goal, but lots of times does it different and many times better than I would.  I focus on the goal, more than the process of meeting it.  I still question and don't hesitate to give advice.  If it is good, he takes it, if it is bad he doesn't hesitate to tell me it won't work and why. Once we set the goal, the best thing for me to do is get out of the way before I get run over.
It takes several years to go from an employee working for wages to feeling like you have ownership of the business.  I want to do less and play more and the only way that will happen is if he takes full control.
My oldest son Aaron (Okmulch)  has our business in Ok.  We talk several times a day.  Sometimes about the grandkids playing ball and school etc, but mostly about what is going on.  By bouncing things off each other, the end result is better.  Focusing on the goal helps decide what needs to be done.
If we both pull on the same end of the rope, we can accomplish a lot more.
Many of you have met my sons and family at the pigroast.  You know why I am proud of them.
My 2 daughters went different directions.  Dirt and sawdust were not for them.  They are doing well, but just not in the wood business.

I am going to throw this out there.  You might ask your dad if he trusts you to make good decisions.  If he says yes, then request that he let you make them and try things your way.  If it works great, if not, then what is lost.  If he says no, then ask him to explain why he doesn't want to let you have some control.  It may be that he fears losing control.  Just an idea here for what it is worth.

I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Okrafarmer

Love, and how to express it properly, is becoming a lost art. Loving someone who does not know how to express love back to you, or does not love you, is an extremely difficult thing. People express love in many different ways. But two of the universal ways are through making time to spend time together, and through acting respectful during that time (and in any correspondence). To me, I see that you are wanting to make the time to spend the time with him, which is a good sign that you care about him. Acting respectful and/or happy to be with him might be the next thing to work on. You can disagree with someone in your heart without it making you bitter or antagonistic. It takes work, but we as human beings have the capacity to control our outlook.

If you look on milling as spending time with Dad, instead of manufacturing lumber, then you will come a long way. And it may be that this should be something done less often if it frustrates you. Do it only as often as you can handle. There are other things you can do with Dad-- go over for dinner, invite him over for dinner, go out to dinner (or breakfast), go hunting, fishing, to car shows, or whatever other activities the two of you find enjoyable. In Maine, there's a sawmill or two or more in just about every town, I know, because I grew up there, in Clinton. If you want to do sawmilling, I'm sure within a 25 mile radius of your house there are other people you could hang out with and do some productive milling.

Also, if your dad's a born Mainer, I know born Mainers can be very stubborn at times, many of them, and their love language is almost always respect, and random acts of kindness. They don't like to talk about love, usually, especially the men, and they don't like bear hugs man-to-man, usually, but they thrive on respect, time spent, and acts of kindness. Your dad may be different, but by your description, I'm guessing I've pegged him.  ;)
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

fat olde elf

Cook's MP-32 saw, MF-35, Several Husky Saws, Too Many Woodworking Tools, 4 PU's, Kind Wife.

James MacDonald

Thank You Guys for all of your perspectives.

I am almost finished trying to connect with my Father, age 91 and about to complete his Hospice Program.

I never got it quite right with him, and he never did with his Father. I have used up all vacation time these last few years with my employer, but keep going to Florida to visit, run errands and be there.

I know, in my heart, he has some pride in my professional accomplishments, Wife and Daughter and Grand Daughters, even if they are never expressed.

He was surprised, and shook his head that I took up sawmilling so late in life. He accepted it was OK as it was my plan to still make money while retired.

Last visit, after church, He had to have another talk with me about 3 things I had done wrong during my visit.  It almost took my breath away, wanting to defend my actions...... Instead I reached over, patted his leg and said

"I am sorry, I will try harder, and Thanks for all you have done for me". 

I never really got it right between us, and now my Father is 140 pounds, about to complete the program, And never will.

I do want to Thank all You on this Educational Forum, for all We Share Together. There must be even more people that never participate that learn from Us!

Jim Mac

You should see what I Saw

Timberking 2000, 1964 Hyster FL, Kabota 43DT w/grapple, Case 580C hoe and never enough Tools

PC-Urban-Sawyer

In August of 1968, my father and I had very heated discussion about my plans for the future. I was 19 years old at the time and had been invited to abandon my studies at the University due to low grades. My dad wanted me to go to "junior" college and I said I would just as soon join the Navy... The discussion got very hot and we both went to bed angry.

The next morning my parents left on a long planned vacation trip to the Baptist camp at Ridgecrest, NC. This was their first vacation alone since I had been born. I did not apologize or "make up" with my dad before they left.

A week later I got a phone call. My parents had been killed in an accident involving their car and an eighteen wheeler. Dad had lost control of the car during a thunderstorm and crossed the median on I-75 in Georgia. The car was broadsided by a semi in the northbound lane and they were killed instantly.

To say my life was affected is too mild. I have never been the same. It took me a long time to ask the Lord to forgive and heal me for the disrespect I showed my father.

I urge you to never give up trying to "live" with your Dad. You never know when the conversation you're having with him will be your last.

Herb

Okrafarmer

Wow, Herb, I'm sorry you had to go through that.  :-\

Seaman

This has I believe been one of the best threads on FF.
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Magicman

Herb, I am sure that your Dad's prayer was for you and your future.  We can never forget nor cease to regret, but I suspect that in some kinda strange way that experience helped to build you into the man that you are today. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Thanks, MM. I'm sure you're right.

Seems OP has been banished due to other issues. I believe this post/topic has been much more beneficial than anything else he might have done here.

Thanks again.

Herb

Seaman

Maybe this thread is here to help someone besides the OP. Many things I love about FF !
Frank
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

Ox

K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Jeff said so in a post in the General forum area.

Ox

K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Thank You Sponsors!