iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Yes, Another Scam

Started by DR Buck, October 10, 2016, 10:06:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

petefrom bearswamp

Got a similar one a few yrs ago.
The person had 100mbf of logs and was going to pay cash. too good to be true.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

DR Buck

Quote from: petefrom bearswamp on October 12, 2016, 11:00:03 AM
Got a similar one a few yrs ago.
The person had 100mbf of logs and was going to pay cash. too good to be true.

I would have asked him to send the cash first to hold his spot in line on my busy schedule.    ;D
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Andries

I feel so neglected.
I haven't been phished, eMailed, text'd or nothin!
The scammers must know that us Northern types see wood and money in terms of heat supply.
. . . and we had snow this morning.  :-\
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

WDH

Once you thaw out, they will hit you, too. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

sandsawmill14

Quote from: Andries on October 12, 2016, 08:16:02 PM
I feel so neglected.
I haven't been phished, eMailed, text'd or nothin!
The scammers must know that us Northern types see wood and money in terms of heat supply.
. . . and we had snow this morning.  :-\

snow already :o maybe your phone is frozen is why they cant get you ;D :D :D :D
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

Brucer

All of you folks who received this phishy e-mail have 3 things in common. You all live in the US, you're all members of a forum that obviously has something to do with sawmills, and you all have a link to your e-mail address listed in your profile ;D.

I don't think anyone in Canada has received this scam yet. That may because they just haven't got around to us yet, or because they know there's some bureaucracy involved in shipping logs in Canada.

Don't reply (to those e-mails).

PS: Forecast is for rain tonight here in Rossland, with the snowlevel at 1000 metres (the rain will be "solid" above that elevation). Downtown Rossland is at 1030 metres so it could be white on the ground tomorrow.

Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

pine

No emails out on the west side of the US either. You east coast folks are the target.  At least does not look like it YET!

Okrafarmer

I'll tell him to send the cash or check in a SASE and allow six-eight weeks for completion, at which point he can pick it up.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

sandpig

Quote from: sandsawmill14 on October 12, 2016, 12:16:09 AM
sandpig the getting the mill is just the beginning   :D  you will think of all kinds of things you need as time goes on :) there is no end :-\   but glad you got you a mill and you can get all the info here that you need if you have a problem just ask :)

Im figuring this sight out never joined a forum before.  I am trying to figure out all kinds of issues. The main one is how to set up and level my mill. I went junk yarding today and bought some jacks to put on the under side so I can level the mill without moving dirt and blocks of wood and add shims. 

I have enjoyed cutting some logs I had laying around from cutting trees down.  Now to try and get a stack of pine logs to build a barn with. 

Thanks for the welcome. 
Jason

Okrafarmer

We have a lot of members in Georgia, chances are some of them are within sawmill-sound from you.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

sandsawmill14

sandpig this is how i set my mill up

sorry i dont have a better pic of the wood its sitting on  :( but if you look at the greenchain the ends next to the mill sit on the 2 center supports :) i have it on 7x9 rr ties, 4x6, and 2x6 according to how unlevel the ground is currently it is about 18" off the ground on one end and roughly 36" on the other its not ideal but its been there for over a year  ;)  i block it in 4 locations with 2 being centered of where the the 8' log lands on the mill but i saw big logs all the time rarely anything under 22" with most being 30"+ so you might not have to go as heavy as i did to support your mill :) mill came with leveling jacks but 3 broke off in the first to weeks and that is whem i went to heavy blocking and no more problems ;D

DR Buck

Quote from: sandpig on October 13, 2016, 08:13:05 PM
sandpig the getting the mill is just the beginning   :D  you will think of all kinds of things you need as time goes on :) there is no end :-\   but glad you got you a mill and you can get all the info here that you need if you have a problem just ask :)

Im figuring this sight out never joined a forum before.  I am trying to figure out all kinds of issues. The main one is how to set up and level my mill. I went junk yarding today and bought some jacks to put on the under side so I can level the mill without moving dirt and blocks of wood and add shims. 

I have enjoyed cutting some logs I had laying around from cutting trees down.  Now to try and get a stack of pine logs to build a barn with. 

Thanks for the welcome. 
Jason

First thing with forums is try and stay on topic of the thread.   Changing topics is referred to as hijacking.   It happens and sometimes it's ok, but mostly not.     Your questions about setting up your mill level would get more responses had it been it's own message thread with a topic title related to that subject.
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Okrafarmer

But we do allow threads to wander on this Forum more than some forums that are out there. I think he'll do fine as he learns his way around. Welcome to the Forum, Sandpig!
:)

sandsawmill14

sorry DR_Buck  :-[ smiley_peace its mostly my fault  :)
sandpig i will start a thread called setting up my mill just in case you have nt figured out how to do that yet  :) if you have more questions just ask in that thread or if you want to start your own just ignore the 1 i start :)  sorry again DR_Buck :)

redbeard

I received the Vasquez scam. I clicked on his picks of logs and it wouldn't down load and my phone acted a little funny for awhile. So I cleaned it works fine now.  Figured out he was a scam because he kept talking credit card transaction only. Probably a shipper skipper type scam like the ones on CL.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

Nomad

I got the text one the other day.  Same as some above.  Throat cancer, text only, logs in Oklahoma, etc.  Mentioned I was forwarding his texts to my attorney and never heard from him again.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

sandpig

Buck I will apologize for hijacking your scam thread.  I did not have a question on leveling my mill just making small talk and enjoying talking with other mill owners I will see if there is a way to delete my post as to not offend you sir.  I wish you the best and all the happiness life can bring you. 

Jason

Quote from: DR_Buck on October 13, 2016, 09:52:19 PM
Quote from: sandpig on October 13, 2016, 08:13:05 PM

Thanks for the welcome. 
Jason

First thing with forums is try and stay on topic of the thread.   Changing topics is referred to as hijacking.   It happens and sometimes it's ok, but mostly not.     Your questions about setting up your mill level would get more responses had it been it's own message thread with a topic title related to that subject.

thecfarm

I'm just glad that grits did not get brought up.  :)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Okrafarmer

Sandpig, I don't think there's any need to delete your post unless a moderator does it or asks you to.  :)

Cedarman

Sandpig, if highjacking a thread were a serious offense, then most of us would have visited the woodshed.
Mentioning food seems to be one area that is not frowned upon as we all like to eat.
Did someone mention grits?
Most of us are here to share something, learn something and/or have a good time.
And you are fitting in just fine.
Now back to the original channel. :D :D :D :D
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

WDH

Yes, grits bashing is allowed in any thread  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Kbeitz

It's no different than anything else these days ... Just a little advertisement ...
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Okrafarmer

Grits are great all by themselves. Or if you want to enhance something else, put grits in your other food.
:D

sandsawmill14

i might put some grits in that cottage cheese and see if i can eat it that way ;D :D :D :D

thecfarm

Okrafarmer,you use to be a Mainer. Noticed I said use to be??  ;D  Now you talk like a Flat Lander.  :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!