iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Preparing the mill for cold weather sawing

Started by DGK, December 01, 2016, 10:57:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OlJarhead

Quote from: DGK on December 03, 2016, 09:34:21 AM
When trying to mill between 10 to 15 logs per hour, I don't have the patience for slow hydraulics. :-)

WHAT???  I can only mill 3 or 4 in an hour if they are small logs....10 to 15?  Sounds like an astronomical amount....
2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

DGK

Small logs 7-12 inch. 4 cuts (sometimes  5 or 6 cuts for cants with an extra board or two). It helps to have an experienced off-bearer. We work fast. :-)
Doug
Yukon, Canada

LT40G38 modified to dual pumped hydraulic plus, HR120 Resaw, EG200 Edger, Bobcat S185,Bobcat S590, Logosol PH260M3, Sthil MS660's, MS460,MS362's MS260, Trailtech dump trailer, F350, F700 Tilt-Deck log/Lumber Hauler, JD440B Skidder, Naarva S23C Processor

ladylake

I've done that with really good help. 115 logs on 7 hours with small logs.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Andries

Usually, I'm jealous of you guys with the hydraulic mills.
Until it gets cold.

No fluids in my LT30, other than in the up/down gearbox - and my Thermos!
Something to watch for - air filter freezing up.

When there's snow in the air, or some mix of snow and sawdust, my air filter has blocked up
An extra few sets of pre-filters will take care of things
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

rjwoelk

Andries I was feeling pretty smug about the pic of the snow, but I just got a load going from guelph on to cornach sk, guess I will experience it. Just came back from north carolina,
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

4x4American

Andries forget the snow what's on the truck! I'd love to see a picture of the job they are going to.  You sure do some interesting stuff way up yonder!
Boy, back in my day..

paul case

Maybe their trees grow in a D shape up there for ease of sawing. ;D

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

GDinMaine

I have been using Kubota Super UDT hydraulic oil in the mill for the last three years. It is lower viscosity fluid recommended for tractors in cold climate. Other than that I gradually change the cooling water to windshield washer fluid, just like DGK described.
It's the going that counts not the distance!

WM LT-40HD-D42

Andries

Posted by: 4x4American
Today at 09:16:40 pm
Andries forget the snow what's on the truck! I'd love to see a picture of the job they are going to.  You sure do some interesting stuff way up yonder!
Okay Doug, how's this?

Last winter - building phase

Final assembly on site.

The half logs are used for flooring and roof decking. Most are 24" wide and 40' long.
85 by 65' and a bunch of fireplaces.
The project scared/intimidated/challenged us in a big way, but we're getting there!
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Andries

Posted by: rjwoelk
Today at 08:49:11 pm
Andries I was feeling pretty smug about the pic of the snow, but I just got a load going from guelph on to cornach sk, guess I will experience it. Just came back from north carolina,

Well, hope you enjoyed the Carolinas buddy!
Be aware, the Trans Canada was closed ( from Portage La Prairie to Regina) for a few days due to blowing wind and 30 - 40 cm snow.
It's winter wonderland out here now.
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

flattail

Probably dumb question from a southerner but do you have any trouble with bands breaking in cold weather? ???

Andries

My experience is that when it gets seriously cold, Ever'ting starts to break.
Including me.
Below -15 C. my work time is spent inside.
Bands don'T seem to break any sooner in winter.
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

fishfighter

Just wow. Don't know how you guys do it up there in the winter. :D Heck, I shut it down at around 35F unless it is sunny and no wind. :D

Good thing around here is that in a weeks time, one will see all four seasons at this time of the year. :D

paul case

So I was wrong about your trees.

Do you have to debark those D logs?

They sure do look slick. I like it when people want to use actual wood and not veneer or some cheap imitation.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Brucer

Quote from: flattail on December 08, 2016, 05:57:27 AM
... do you have any trouble with bands breaking in cold weather? ???

When the temperature gets down to around -40° (C and F) the impact resistance of steel goes way down. It's stronger, but it won't take any kind of shock loading. Not that any of us would be out sawing in -40° weather ;D.

Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Magicman

:o  It dropped down to a bone chilling 30° here last night.  BBbrrrrrrr.  This old boy surely will not be uncoiling a blade! 

I do plan to go hunting this evening though.  Tomorrow too.  :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Andries

Quote from: paul case on December 08, 2016, 07:44:53 AM
So I was wrong about your trees.
Do you have to debark those D logs?
They sure do look slick. I like it when people want to use actual wood and not veneer or some cheap imitation.
PC
Paul;
Takes a bunch of scrubbing to get those big barky monsters turned into "baby-bottom" smooth logs.

LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Brucer

In the interior mountains of BC ...

30°F = -1°C  -- no problem :).
  18°F = -8°C  -- I'll do it, but I won't be happy :(.
   9°F = -13°C -- That's what it was today. I stayed home >:(.

It's going to warm up over the weekend, and then get cold again. Next Wednesday it's supposed to go down to -20°C (-4°F) :o. I don't plan to leave the house at all.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

pineywoods

I took a service call yesterday on a fairly new LT35 hydraulic mill. (not mine) All hydraulics completely dead. Owner sawed fresh cut cypress (very wet) all day before. He was negligent about cleanup and wet sawdust got all over the brush that rides on the hydraulic power strip, then froze overnight. We don't have a lot of freezing weather, but it does happen. Mill maintenance doesn't cost, it pays...
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

bandmiller2

Any mill will live a longer happier life with a roof over its head especially one that depends on electric switches relays and power strips. Even if your a road warrior they should have a building when their parked at home. No excuses because you know a guy that cuts lumber. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

WLC

Quote from: Magicman on December 09, 2016, 08:09:11 AM
:o  It dropped down to a bone chilling 30° here last night.  BBbrrrrrrr.  This old boy surely will not be uncoiling a blade! 

I do plan to go hunting this evening though.  Tomorrow too.  :)

Wish it would get up to 30* here so I could cut.  Was -15* here last Sunday night and is about 4 or 5* now.  Supposed to cool off during the week.  I would saw, but the carb ices up and my fingers get cold.
Woodmizer LT28
Branson 4wd tractor
Stihl chainsaws
Elbow grease.

Andries

Quote from: WLC on December 10, 2016, 09:28:08 PM
. . . .   Supposed to cool off during the week.  I would saw, but the carb ices up and my fingers get cold.

About the warmest thing for cold weather, plus, not as clumsy as full mitts.

Do you see these mitts up in Alaska?
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

WLC

Mitts, sure, but I don't know that I've ever seen those type.  I like 'em.  Warmest mitts I have are seal skin that a native friend made for me.  I am not planning on wearing those to saw in though. :D

I will keep my eye out for the type you are talking about.  I would like to try them.  I like the fact that you can use thumb and index finger, It would give you a lot more dexterity while keeping your hands warmer than gloves typically do.

I usually wear a heavy  insulated glove and if it is real cold will put handwarmers in them.  Since I started taking blood pressure meds a few years back my hands get colder faster that they used to.
Woodmizer LT28
Branson 4wd tractor
Stihl chainsaws
Elbow grease.

larrydown60

I don't know if this will help anyone , but I use this blue hydraulic oil for my snow plow and never had it freeze up and at below O temps it slows down very little can get at Napa and I have seen these little heaters that are twelve volt and they heat the oil  with a little modification I am sure you could get this to work. Hope this helps 

ladylake

It was so cold yesterday my insulated water jug froze up in the pickup. Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Thank You Sponsors!