The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Tally-I/O

Author Topic: Reverse Roll Quarter Sawing  (Read 30066 times)

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
Re: Reverse Roll Quarter Sawing
« Reply #300 on: June 24, 2019, 07:24:19 AM »
YH,

Thanks for the advice. I will keep that in mind. Earlier you had posted it was normally not worth the effort to saw less than 24" diameter logs into quartersawn and this  experiment verifies that IMHO. I just needed to practice on my logs and that was about as big as I had to work with. It showed the procedure works fine and I now have a better understanding and more confidence about the clamping. Even on pretty small whittled down cants the clamps held.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline MAF143

• Work hard, Play hard
    • Share Post
« Reply #301 on: June 26, 2019, 10:11:51 PM »
I have read this thread a while back and have been wanting to try it.  

A few weeks ago we had a large Pin Oak blow down over by the old horse stables and it just missed the corner of the building.  It is 4' dbh but was hollow and snapped off.  It's a very limby tree but I was able to get a couple of 5' sections of trunk about 15" diameter out of it to play with on the mill.  I was able to try the reverse roll method on it and got some interesting looking boards.  I know the Pin Oak isn't like the White Oak, but for my first experiment I didn't want to jump in with both feet.

Overall I viewed this as a successful experiment and am looking forward to trying some larger Red and White Oak later when I get a chance.  Our mill is totally manual so I don't think I want to get too ambitious.  I did get a nice slab and I think it will end up as a live edge coffee table with live edge legs if I can get it dried successfully.

Always having a great day!
MS 391, MS 250, HM-126, Ferguson TO-35, '97 Ram 1500 wood cuttin' truck, splitter, Woodland Mills Grindlux 4000 sharpener, Vogelzang Ponderosa keeping us warm

Offline YellowHammer

• Senior Member x2
  • Take Steps to Save Steps
    • Share Post
    • Hobby Hardwood Alabama
« Reply #302 on: June 26, 2019, 10:48:21 PM »
You got some very nice looking boards, some with full fleck, on difficult logs that had lots of grain change.  This is why the RRQS method is superior to conventional blind quartersawing.  There are several boards in the pictures where the grain slope changed drastically, enough to go from partial fleck, to full width fleck, back to partial fleck, all on the same board.  Very good technique.  When you can get the full fleck in the middle of the board and partial fleck on either end, it means you bulls eyed the rays.  If using the conventional techniques that board could have been a miss with only slight fleck in the center with no fleck on the ends.

If you want to get adventurous, when you have logs with such drastic slope and fleck changes, you can make slight toe board adjustments, changing the axial angle of the cant, without adjusting anything else, and take a very shallow skim cut, and actually drive the full fleck to where you want it on the board.  Its a very cool technique, and we did it in one of the logs at the Sycamore Project this year.  I had a photo, cant find it, but we changed the angle of the cant just a degree or two and went from minor fleck to brilliant fleck on a shallow prospecting or correction cut and used the new angle to saw out the rest of the cant.

Great work on your first try.    

HobbyHardwoodAlabama.com

Offline MAF143

• Work hard, Play hard
    • Share Post
« Reply #303 on: June 29, 2019, 09:46:39 AM »
I had some time last evening to toss the second Pin Oak log on the mill.  This one is about 5' long and still only 16" diameter.  This one was a little trickier to find the pith since both ends were crotchy, the bottom end with 1 large limb and the top kind of splitting 3 ways.  I rolled it around and finally cut it on my best guess to open it up.

I got lucky, I found some good grain and was able to stay with it for the most part.  This was very fun to be able to open up a log that was destined for firewood and get some cool looking boards out of it.  Now to get it dried and figure out what to do with it...  These are kinda small boards and I'll have to figure out how to show them off in some crafty projects.  I didn't make a large slab from this log.  I was more experimenting with thinner slices to see how to stay with the grain.

Thanks to YH and the rest of you here that share all this knowledge so the rest of us can learn some useful skills and techniques.  I'm an eager rookie... LOL

Here are some pix of the second log.  I threw these on the truck and drove over to a woodworking buddy's house to show them off.  I'm amazed that I was able to pull this off...

Always having a great day!
MS 391, MS 250, HM-126, Ferguson TO-35, '97 Ram 1500 wood cuttin' truck, splitter, Woodland Mills Grindlux 4000 sharpener, Vogelzang Ponderosa keeping us warm

Offline YellowHammer

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Hobby Hardwood Alabama
« Reply #304 on: June 29, 2019, 11:31:11 PM »
You got some full width fleck on this one.  Good job.  RRQS is actually fun, because its not a bling sawing technique, but actually lets you stay in control.
HobbyHardwoodAlabama.com

Online Brad_bb

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #305 on: June 29, 2019, 11:43:50 PM »
@YellowHammer  What do you mean by "bling"?
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Offline YellowHammer

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Hobby Hardwood Alabama
« Reply #306 on: June 29, 2019, 11:50:51 PM »
Autocorrect got me.  I meant not a blind sawing technique.  
HobbyHardwoodAlabama.com

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
  • April 1998 - August 2008
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #307 on: June 30, 2019, 07:11:31 AM »
I like "bling" better. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5640SU, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Offline Bruno of NH

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #308 on: June 30, 2019, 07:21:25 AM »
Bling is good when it turns to ching in your pocket 
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls Riehl Steel edger,F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #309 on: June 30, 2019, 07:34:07 AM »
See?  I told you that bling was better.  Bruno, now you have the capability to make lots of bling ;D
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5640SU, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Online doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
  • Evil Prevails when Good Men Standby and Do Nothing
    • Share Post
« Reply #310 on: June 30, 2019, 10:10:53 AM »
so a new term for the dictionary!?  "bling sawing: when RRQS and you get a lot of fleck"
timberking B 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor 12 volt tarp motor

Offline Southside

• Senior Member x2
  • Have a plan to saw every log you meet.
    • Share Post
« Reply #311 on: June 30, 2019, 11:11:48 AM »
I was thinking the same thing - it IS a bling technique. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.

Offline YellowHammer

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Hobby Hardwood Alabama
« Reply #312 on: June 30, 2019, 01:49:58 PM »
so a new term for the dictionary!?  "bling sawing: when RRQS and you get a lot of fleck"

I like it. 8) I stand re-corrected on my original auto correct.  :D  

RRQS, the "Bling" Technique.

Takes firewood and turns it into bling.

However, we need to get an Administrator to add RRQS to the dictionary also. @WDH 
do you know of any? :D You know I'm always good for providing a steak dinner for trade. :D :D :D    I'm not above food bribery!
HobbyHardwoodAlabama.com

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #313 on: June 30, 2019, 07:52:25 PM »
OK, you came up with the technique so you write the definition and I will add it to the Dictionary. 

Online doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #314 on: June 30, 2019, 09:22:27 PM »
we should prob add the phonetic description north and south.  bling, and ba ling.   :) :) :).  sadly we have no accent in Ks.  @WDH   @YellowHammer   @Southside    @Magicman    ;)
timberking B 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor 12 volt tarp motor

Offline YellowHammer

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Hobby Hardwood Alabama
« Reply #315 on: June 30, 2019, 10:44:48 PM »
In Alabamian, its pronouned, blang.  :D

As in: Dont mah new truck have a lot of blang on er?  I hadta paid extry fer it.

Accent? What Accent?  Its Everybody else what talks funny.  

Now I got to think about a definition.  Where did I put those Vitamin B pills....

Hey Alexa, what is..?
HobbyHardwoodAlabama.com

Online doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #316 on: June 30, 2019, 10:57:32 PM »
well, @YellowHammer the elder, in Latin , i believe it is "blingus maximus"  or in Alablatin  "blangus maximus".  or in the deep south "ba lingus maximus"

Offline YellowHammer

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Hobby Hardwood Alabama
« Reply #317 on: June 30, 2019, 11:02:31 PM »
Yeah, them fellers down south of me have a tendency to drawl.  Caint hardly understand them. 
HobbyHardwoodAlabama.com

Offline Southside

• Senior Member x2
  • Have a plan to saw every log you meet.
    • Share Post
« Reply #318 on: June 30, 2019, 11:15:15 PM »
It's not just south of you. I was in West Virginia years back with my girlfriend now wife and we went to eat at Shoneys. I ordered a Mtn Dew and the girl asked me if I "wanted any ICE with that", well her drawl was so deep what I heard made me think "boy she is friendly, and in front of my girlfriend no less" the look on my face said it all. Cyrillie spoke up and said "Ice, you want Ice"? After the waitress left Cyrillie looked right at me and said she knew exactly what I was thinking... Oops.   ::)
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.

Online doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #319 on: June 30, 2019, 11:19:14 PM »
@Southside , I have no doubt, despite having been made an honest man, that you continue to be a pain in the ICE.!!!  that is a compliment coming from me!   :D :D :D :D 8) 8) 8) :) :) :) smiley_beertoast

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Reverse Roll QS on a manual mill

Started by kelLOGg on Sawmills and Milling

6 Replies
Last post April 12, 2017, 07:03:24 AM
by kelLOGg
xx
Applying Reverse Roll Quartersawing to an Onion

Started by WDH on FOOD! FOOD! FOOD!

9 Replies
Last post July 25, 2018, 07:40:01 PM
by WDH