The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: Found my grandfathers mill!  (Read 6366 times)

Offline Wallee

• I'm learning!
    • Share Post
Re: Found my grandfathers mill!
« Reply #60 on: January 17, 2017, 11:47:33 PM »
Well guys I had to work a few bugs out this first part of the week. Had to get a rpm gauge and check rpm and have the saw hammered to match. Turns out saw was dished and didn't show up until I put a oak log on the deck. Sweetgum and pine didnt make it rear its ugly head but oak sure did! Saw smith fixed me up today and we sawed 6 ties at the end of the day with success! Now to tidy up the edger and grease everything in the morning and see what we can get done tomorrow! Pics to come!
Lt28 Woodmizer, International 3514 wheel loader, husqvarna 450,455 rancher, and 372xp saws, 1990 international 4700 log truck, Prentice 180b knuckleboom!

Offline 4x4American

• Senior Member x2
  • Team red, white, blue and orange
    • Share Post
    • Website Link
« Reply #61 on: January 18, 2017, 05:59:15 AM »
I kniw it's early but how many ties you think you can saw on an average day with that some buck vs what could you with the mizer?
Boy, back in my day..

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #62 on: January 19, 2017, 10:00:44 AM »
I am proud of the work that you have done Sir.   smiley_thumbsup   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline Wallee

• I'm learning!
    • Share Post
« Reply #63 on: January 19, 2017, 08:08:11 PM »
I kniw it's early but how many ties you think you can saw on an average day with that some buck vs what could you with the mizer?
Lt28 I was getting 25 in a 8 hour day with edging on the mill and various other mill activities. I'm averaging 12 ties a hour this first week!!!! 8)
Lt28 Woodmizer, International 3514 wheel loader, husqvarna 450,455 rancher, and 372xp saws, 1990 international 4700 log truck, Prentice 180b knuckleboom!

Offline Wallee

• I'm learning!
    • Share Post
« Reply #64 on: January 19, 2017, 08:08:51 PM »
I am proud of the work that you have done Sir.   smiley_thumbsup   8)
Thanks so much! I appreciate it. Stop through when you head this way again!

Offline 4x4American

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Website Link
« Reply #65 on: January 19, 2017, 08:28:20 PM »
Holy cow, thats a huge inprovement in production!  I've given thought to a circle mill myself.  I'd have to keep a much bigger log inventory.  I can't believe you were edging on the mill, hats off to ya!  And yea man, killer job on getting that sawmill set up.  You done good!
Boy, back in my day..

Offline Wallee

• I'm learning!
    • Share Post
« Reply #66 on: January 20, 2017, 10:59:10 PM »
Holy cow, thats a huge inprovement in production!  I've given thought to a circle mill myself.  I'd have to keep a much bigger log inventory.  I can't believe you were edging on the mill, hats off to ya!  And yea man, killer job on getting that sawmill set up.  You done good!
I love the circle mill vs. the band for cant production! However I'm highly considering trading the band mill in for a resaw now!

Offline 4x4American

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Website Link
« Reply #67 on: January 20, 2017, 11:06:06 PM »
For doing pallet lumber?  I really like the looks of that baker a model with lasy susan turnarounds.

Today I was really wishing I had a circle mill when I was fighting half frozen beech.  It was a beech of a time.  Half frozen anything and a bandsaw can be aggravating.  I did however find a blade that would cut it and I just got back in from making more that hopefully will cut.  See with a circle mill I wouldn't have these late night sharpnin seesions, just sharpen it right then and there when it's dull.  But then you get into hitting hardware and all that
Boy, back in my day..

Offline Wallee

• I'm learning!
    • Share Post
« Reply #68 on: January 21, 2017, 11:41:52 PM »
For doing pallet lumber?  I really like the looks of that baker a model with lasy susan turnarounds.

Today I was really wishing I had a circle mill when I was fighting half frozen beech.  It was a beech of a time.  Half frozen anything and a bandsaw can be aggravating.  I did however find a blade that would cut it and I just got back in from making more that hopefully will cut.  See with a circle mill I wouldn't have these late night sharpnin seesions, just sharpen it right then and there when it's dull.  But then you get into hitting hardware and all that
Sharpening the circle saw vs. bandsaw is cheap and waaaaay less of a pain. I can hand file in 15 min and saw all day. Soon as I get a grinder and swap to carbide bits it will be even better. And no waves at the slightest knot lol. But on the bandsaw side I have to say the kerf is its best advantage. I want a resaw for pallet wood and to turn lumber out of cedar cants and such!

Offline 4x4American

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Website Link
« Reply #69 on: January 22, 2017, 07:38:28 AM »
I hear ya.  I was really hating bandsaws yesterday cutting half frozen beech into ties. 
Boy, back in my day..

Offline Gearbox

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #70 on: January 22, 2017, 10:34:38 AM »
Wallee got a market for slabs yet . At that rate your  slab pile will grow fast . Welcome to the saw mill merry go round .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

Offline Wallee

• I'm learning!
    • Share Post
« Reply #71 on: February 07, 2017, 12:01:34 AM »
Wallee got a market for slabs yet . At that rate your  slab pile will grow fast . Welcome to the saw mill merry go round .
Hopefully adding a chipper real soon. Slabs get in the way fast!

Offline Wallys World

• Share Post
« Reply #72 on: March 24, 2017, 08:03:18 PM »
Wallee, how has it been going lately? Hadn't seen you post in a while and was just wondering!
Wood-Mizer LT28G25, Wood-Mizer EG10 Edger, Wallenstein Timber Talon log loader trailer, Wallenstein GX640 wood splitter, Wallenstein WP835 Fire Wood Processor, Kubota BX 22 TLB, JD 445, JD Gator, Home made arch, Stihl 024 Super, MS251, MS311, MS440 Magnum & 056

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Found a New Job on My Mill

Started by just_sawing on Sawmills and Milling

24 Replies
Last post January 07, 2007, 11:07:08 AM
by leweee
xx
Found a mill

Started by John_Haylow on Sawmills and Milling

7 Replies
Last post May 25, 2007, 09:19:25 PM
by John_Haylow