The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: First Saw MS 170 need recommendations  (Read 1469 times)

Offline ashtree

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
First Saw MS 170 need recommendations
« on: March 03, 2017, 02:03:41 AM »
Appreciate the help before hand. I am a local chimney sweep by trade and going to start learning how to cut, split, and stack wood this season 2017-2018. I purchased a MS170 Stihl on sale today for small clearing/brush and would like recommendations on a larger stihl saw for felling oak and pine in my area. If you could help with recommendations. Plan on processing 10-20 cords this year and just excited to enter in. Thanks

Robert
Ashtree AC & Chimney
Fresno, CA

Offline BobbyJr

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
Re: First Saw MS 170 need recommendations
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2017, 07:06:57 AM »
The 441 is the perfect saw to go along with your little saw. It is kinda pricey,but after you get over the sticker shock and after you spent time with this saw,you will quickly forget about the cost and you will be very happy you made the jump to a well liked saw .

Offline DelawhereJoe

• Senior Member x2
  • Trapped in Delawhere
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2017, 08:13:53 AM »
AshTree how much experience do you have running chainsaws and how much money do you want to invest into this new business venture ? If your just starting off into the chainsaw world stepping right into a pro-grade high hp saw might not be the best choice. It may also cause some financial burdens to you as well, while Stihl are top of the line saws they carry a premium price for  there equipment. Echo builds good quality tools at a much more reasonable price. You may want to look at the Echo cs 590 timberwolf it sells new for around $400 and will pull a 20" bar well. Biggest thing is to learn to sharpen your chains and keep them sharp.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

Offline khntr85

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2017, 12:21:58 PM »
what is the biggest wood you will be cutting.....a ms261 or a ms362 would be a saw that would last you a lifetime, cutting that amount....you could run a 25" bar on the ms362, when needed....I have a ms362 and I keep a 20" bar on it, I have never even tried the 25".....

I have a ms461 with a 25" bar for bigger wood....if you haven't ran saws very much, please get with someone who has, so you can get some pointers and watch them some....only takes one time to bleed out in a woods, and it's game over.....

Offline thutch85

• Share Post
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2017, 12:33:32 PM »
if your just getting started with running chainsaws id start out a lil smaller than the big (70cc+) saws. its a lot easier to run a 12lb 50-60cc saw for hrs on end. idk how big of trees you plan to take on but again if your just getting started a 16-20 inch bar will do. finally, price. professional grade saws are great but expensive. i started heating with wood 4yrs ago and chose a stihl ms291-18" bar, its been a good saw for the 15+- cords a year i cut. my buddy has a 50cc husqvarna that he really likes. if price is no issue I'd say an ms362 c-m, seem like really nice saws. also, look into a timberline chainsaw sharpener, awesome lil tool!

Offline ButchC

• Share Post
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2017, 12:44:13 PM »
Resist the urge to go too big too quick. Once past 60CC the saws have enough power to  really mess a guy up who doesn't have good handling habits.  I suggest that stay below that threshold until you have a season or two under your belt.  In midline quality the 311 will do the job ,top end quality would be the 362.
Peterson JP swing mill
Morbark chipper
Shop built firewood processor
Case W11B
Many chainsaws, axes, hatchets,mauls,
Antique tractors and engines, machine shop,wife, dog,,,,,that's about it.

Offline Jesper Jepsen

• Owner of Mandoghus.dk
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2017, 06:22:12 AM »
I would recommend the MS 261 or 550xp Husky running a 18" bar as max but mainly 15-16" bar. If your trees are bigger than 20" i dia  I would go with the MS 362 for a little more power and a max of 20" bar.
Remember that the +60cm3 sav also get heavier and aren't that easy to use on small trees.
In Denmark where I live the MS 262 is the main saw for many forest workers as a 16" bar can cut a 40" tree down with ease if you know the right technics.

Jesper 

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2017, 08:55:27 AM »
I don't know my chains saw sizes,except for what I have.   ;D  I have 2 saws,a small one a Efco 152,that I won on here and a big one,372 Husky. Big one is the workhorse,used for cutting down the big trees and sawing the big wood. The small one is used for limbing and cutting small wood. The small one really gets used more than the big one,or I should say longer. Takes more time to saw the small wood out of a tree than the big wood. I will always have a small saw and a big saw now. So much easier on my body to use that small one for limbing. Have to be careful because the small one feels like a toy,but still needs to be respected as a dangerous piece of equipment.
I hope you bought chaps,hearing protection,hard hat,steel toe boots?
How are you getting the wood out?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline ashtree

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2017, 10:58:05 PM »
Appreciate the replies, delawherejoe as far as experience when I was a teen once for about 5 hrs in the westside of the sierras a property owner asked if we could clear some land for him, handed us a chain saw and mainly small pine, pepper, and manzanitas. I am 37 now and just purchased my first wood stove Lopi Endeavor and have been getting several inquiries for purchasing of wood if I could sell/split/stack from customers. I work fulltime for a local chimney and ac shop in Clovis, CA and run my own chimney sweeping service company on my days off, working the outter lying areas.  I assembled axe, spitting maul, Hand axe, spitting wedges, wedges, PPE, sledges, 4 ton electric splitter, logger joe hand splitter,  and the MS 170. Going to head up to the sierras tomorrow and get the permit to cut a couple cords down. Super green but something inside is pulling me to do this work and I am excited, cautious in terms of safety, and love the outdoors being a flyfisherman/bass fisherman so working outside is great for me. appreciate the recommendation for the larger saw, going to learn how to cut/cuts first, have a tree service company in town that I will be volunteering for experience etc.. and going to solicit any loggers for info and or if they need help to increase the learning curve.

Offline pabst79

• Oh Boy! Wabbit twacks!
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2017, 08:15:06 AM »
Put me on the MS261 list, it will do most everything you ask of it for a firewood saw. I think jumping from a 170 to anything bigger than a 362 or any 60cc saw would be a mistake, not because there so much more dangerous, but because they are heavier and overpowered for most firewood applications. I own many saws starting at a MS170 thru 075, my go to saw 80% of the time is my 026 (an older version of the 261) its a lightweight and powerful saw. I also wouldn't be afraid to try a Echo 590 out, they have a good reputation and a good price point.
Not sure which came first, but I have chickens and eggs.

Offline Woodcutter_Mo

• Share Post
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2017, 09:51:50 AM »
 Another vote for the ms261 or ms362. The 362 is all the saw you need for general firewood cutting IMO.
- WoodMizer LT25, Kohler, all manual, old "drag" style WoodMizer sharpener, cat claw single  setter
- Husqvarna 372XP X-Torque/24" bar, 455 Rancher X-Torque/20" bar, 550XP/20" bar, Stihl 024AV/18" Oregon speedcut
- Kioti DK45, '92 Dodge Cummins with Cannonball  bed, '07 Honda Rancher

Offline DelawhereJoe

• Senior Member x2
  • Trapped in Delawhere
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2017, 10:18:41 AM »
The 362 c-m is the way to go if you want to drop $730-$750. Its a great saw and will do everything you need it to, no need to worry about adjusting the carb as it does it itself. If your worried about destroying the saw by a tree falling on it or anything like that get a cheaper saw till you get more experience. Maybe pick up the Echo 590 as your starter saw and a backup, then go get the Stihl 362 c-m.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Recommendations?

Started by missvincent on General Board

16 Replies
Last post November 25, 2011, 08:58:34 AM
by Woodchuck53
xx
ax recommendations

Started by joespruce on General Board

28 Replies
Last post November 05, 2008, 02:15:48 PM
by Tom