iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Small Farm Table

Started by Darrel, March 06, 2017, 08:21:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darrel

So about 3 years ago, my father-in-law fell a tree into his neighbors pool.  This wood is from that tree.  9/4 black oak.

This is a 5 1/2' slab.  I am using a total of 3 slabs from the same log.  Moisture content about 18%.  On a different topic, I've been drawing plans for my solar kiln with SketchUp and as soon as the snow is gone from my property I'll be starting that build.

Ripped it with my son's Mag77 skill saw and stacked it inside my 5th wheel trailer for lack of a better place  The Mag77 almost was too small to do the job but it was easier than hauling the wood to the mill or going and getting the mill.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Darrel

Made a little progress this afternoon, Took the warped crooked 9/4 and resawed it to 1½".  First time to run the mill this spring.  It started right up after cranking for only a couple seconds.  Gotta love that new electric fuel pump I put on it last summer. 

Resawing from the sawyer's prospective.

some shots of the boards after resawing.

Black oak sure has a different look to it than red oak.

The "shims" I shaved off.

All in all, it was a great day to fire up the old saw, or should I say "Good old saw?"

Thanks for looking.
1992 LT40HD

tule peak timber

Nice looking boards! Our Black Oak down south is prone to powder post beetle , especially in the sap wood.You might want to look into that. Looking forward to your build.Any of your neighbors have land for sale ?  Rob
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Darrel

Rob, there had been some sort of bug just under the bark but I saw no evidence of any activity any deeper than that. I don't think we have powder post beatles here, never heard of them until I joined the forum. Anyway, thanks for the heads up.
1992 LT40HD

Darrel

Got the table finished, delivered and a very happy customer that ordered 2 book shelves.  Here are a few pics.

As you can see, the bread board ends come off so that the table fits into the customer's very small dining room.

Thanks for looking
Darrel
1992 LT40HD

78NHTFY

Wow, that really pops!!! All the best, Rob.
If you have time, you win....

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thecfarm

Good choice on the grain look!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Savannahdan

Really nice.  Love the grain.
Husqvarna 3120XP, Makita DCS7901 Chainsaw, 30" & 56" Granberg Chain Saw Mill, Logosol M8 Farmers Mill

Darrel

Here is the same table in February.

And here are a couple of shots of the grain in the legs.

All the wood in this table came from the same crotch log that was about 5 ½' X 26" big (non forked) end.
1992 LT40HD

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

nmericle53

Beautiful wood. The grain is probably the most beautiful grain I have ever seen.
Thank you GOD for blessing me much more than I deserve.

reedco

Really nice!!
Not many trees

fishpharmer

Table looks fantastic!  I would like to hear the story about FIL felling the log into the neighbor's pool?  No pictures?
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Darrel

At the time of the felling of this big black oak, my FIL was 85 years old and not as capable as he had once been. He had promised me that he wouldn't cut any trees down without help, but I'm sure that promise was made so we, my wife and I, would shut up and go away. Long story short, the tree came down and so did his the old man's pride.

I felt bad for him, I really did. He just kind of gave up after that. It was the beginning of the end. DanG I miss that man.

So anyway, I have about 500 bf more lumber from this tree, about half of which is quarter sawn. From that I plan to build a dining room table in his memory for our new house when it is built.

Sorry, no pictures.
1992 LT40HD

Den Socling

Wait a minute. When you said "the neighbors pool", did you mean swimming pool?  ::)

Darrel

Yes Den, swimming pool, Redding California. Where temps top 110° F often, anything 100 or less is a cool day during July and August.
1992 LT40HD

Thank You Sponsors!