Very labor intensive, good thing you have good help
Great job Jeff.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Jeff

Last plated in 1973, so this may be the first time in 40 years it moved under its own power. I gotta figure out that whine.  It goes away when I push in the clutch.  Maybe low on gear lube? throw out bearing mebby?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U93DDEmXesE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i70CIVrlO4M
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

pineywoods

Sounds like one or more cylinders not firing.. Plugs? burnt/stuck exhaust valve ? Run a compression check..Valves gonna be a problem..Those old beasts need lead in the fuel to lube the valves. Unleaded/ethanol will burn the exhaust valves pretty quickly...The whine in the tranny may be the spur gear on that pto hanging off the side...Lookin GOOD
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Jeff

It was running on all of them, it missed a couple times though. Just have a gas line dipped in a gas can. Its cold out here too and I never tried to let it warm up. It's only the 40s. You'd miss too. :D

It was running over 40 lbs of oil pressure on the old gauge.

Darrel

When I was a kid, my dad had an old 49 Plymouth that made the same sound. My first car was a 54 Plymouth and it also made the sound.  Put your foot on the clutch and it would stop. On my car, it didn't make the whining sound while driving only did it while idling foot off clutch. My dad sad all mopar cars of that era did that and not to worry. So I didn't. Now though, I'd at least find out what it is.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Jeff

I could fix it by putting in a radio.

Darrel

smiley_singsongnote02 smiley_guitarist smiley_trap_drummer Violin_smiley horn_smiley
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Magicman

It should not be the throw out bearing because it should not even be turning unless the clutch is depressed.  I'd say that your whine is in the transmission.  You were in neutral so it may not whine when the transmission is in gear and the truck is moving.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

sandhills

Does it whine in neutral if the pto is engaged?

Jeff

Dunno. I'll have to try that.

Jeff

Ventured a bit farther out the back of the shop today. Still no brakes, so gotta use the key and the engine to stop.
https://youtu.be/zD5S8A4XrW0

coxy

after sitting 40+years the bearings maybe a little dry let it run for a while and see if it goes away

red

They never heard of 5w-30 engine oil , more like straight 30w oil. With a can of STP.
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Jeff

I changed the transmission lube. There was quite a bit of metallic particles in the hollow of the drain plug. I been working on the inside of the cab too. A little here, a little there.

grouch

Gorgeous old truck. That looks like a special barn find!

Vacuum wipers? I can remember the whining transmission in my Dad's old gray goat and the heater that would scald your legs but let the rest of you freeze.

Not to be a killjoy, but I'd be worried about the lead in the original paint when sanding. There's not enough to do much to us old farts, but it can affect kids.

[Edit to ask:]
Did Ford or Chevy ever make a flathead with the spark plugs in pairs like that?

I know on my '49 Olds they're evenly spaced. The only flathead Fords I've seen have been tractors -- even spacing -- and flathead V8s in hotrods -- also evenly spaced.
Find something to do that interests you.

Jeff

This week i worked on more clean up. Front frame and firewall. Firewall is now red. I've decided to go the 12volt changeover route. Anybody got a one wire delco alternator with a 5/8 pulley?  :)

coxy

are you trying to make it go faster by putting a gm part on there i think that's what one of my jd 350 dozer has is a 5/8 i know the other one has a fat belt with a narrow pulley and gives me no issues

Gearbox

Jeff try one of the generator pulley they may be the same bore . A rebuilder can order pulley to fit I used 5/8 belt on old tractor and the rebuilder ordered the right pulley .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

Don P

I think you'll need a ballast resistor in there as well. It's been awhile since I did the tractor I think I put a 12v coil on and the resistor was in the distributor feed

Jeff

I need the whole alternator. Might as well switch. All the lights are toast, the voltage regulator is toast, no idea if the gen is any good. So, 12 volt seems s best solution. Need resistors only for guages.  With the one wire delco, wont need the regulator and a 12 volt coil is cheap.

grouch

Quote from: Jeff on May 14, 2017, 07:36:09 PM
This week i worked on more clean up. Front frame and firewall. Firewall is now red. I've decided to go the 12volt changeover route. Anybody got a one wire delco alternator with a 5/8 pulley?  :)

Are you sure you want a 1-wire?

One wire compared to three wire

grouch

Quote from: Jeff on May 14, 2017, 09:33:32 PM
I need the whole alternator. Might as well switch. All the lights are toast, the voltage regulator is toast, no idea if the gen is any good. So, 12 volt seems s best solution. Need resistors only for guages.  With the one wire delco, wont need the regulator and a 12 volt coil is cheap.

Even surplus center alternators include the voltage regulator. You could probably throw a dart into the local pick-a-part salvage yard and it'd land on a vehicle with the voltage regulator on or in a 3-wire alternator.

red

When changing over to 12 volt,  I think most people leave the starter 6 volt. It really turns over fast.
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Jeff

Yes, the starter can stay. The only question I have on it would be, going from positive ground 6volt to negative ground 12 volt, will it run backwards when swapping he power wire to the positive on the 12volt?

grouch

I couldn't get this out of my head. I changed my slant six over from the original 1st gen electronic ignition -- with self-melting modules -- to AC/Delco salvaged from an '80 Renault LeCar (that should tell you how common that system is). It eliminated the need for the ballast resistor and eliminated the need to always carry a spare module.

Your flathead can be converted to electronic ignition if you're converting to 12v negative ground.

DIY: Desoto upgrade (There was a follow-up on another forum, but that follow-up forum has per day page view limits for guests).

Bought distributor and HEI coil: Stovebolt Mopar "Mini" HEI

Oh, and for your dash:

12V to 6V 3A converter

Thank You Sponsors!