iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Taking Delivery

Started by Jeff, March 23, 2017, 07:54:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Id be scared to death what it might do to that old radiator core.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

chet

I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

chet

Given the fact that it is moving, and collecting at the filler cap is a good sign
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Jeff

Didn't think about it that way. Yer right!  :)    I ran it about 10 minutes today after I flushed it. It hung at about 170°, maybe a bit more. Its just straight water. I think if I go ahead and put coolant in it, it should be okay.

thecfarm

I can still hear my Father tell me they use to run kerosene in the radiator in the winter time.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Don P

There is prolly a pile of it stuck around the thermostat.

If it does give trouble I believe the hot tank in old radiator shops used caustic soda, which is the same as drano I believe, lye. That will eat hair, and you! I'd flush it really good afterwards.

Gary_C

Try washing soda or baking soda followed by boiling hot water for organic material like hair. Both are hard on plastics but not necessarily radiator metals so should not hurt the radiator.
If you have scale deposits, some kind of acid cleaner is needed but be very careful to not mix acidic cleaners and soda or take care to completely flush one before using another type.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

grouch

What kind of bait did you use to get that critter?

I knew you folks in the Great Frozen North were a little nuts, but never dreamed you'd use a radiator for trappin' varmints!

I'm with Don P -- the thermostat may be acting as a trap. Maybe the water pump vanes, too. Pull the thermostat and re-flush without it?
Find something to do that interests you.

Jeff

I need t drain the water n dowto put coolant in it anyway, so ya'll talked me into pulling the thermostat.

Chuck White

Jeff;  Since you'll have the thermostat removed, maybe try hooking a water hose to the drain-cock on the bottom of the radiator, remove the filler cap and back-flushing the radiator?
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

TKehl

Caustic Soda eats Aluminum real fast.  Have some experience there.

Guessing your radiator is brass or copper.  It may be okay, but I see mixed opinions.  I wouldn't try it unless the flushing fails, then there's not much to loose.

I can say the Stainless basket we use in our caustic dip tank stays pretty clean. 
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

Jeff

After sleeping on it, I'm going to see how the flushing worked. If I haveto do somethig further, I will, but like Chet mentioned, the system must be flowing because all this stuff was pushed up to the neck of the radiator.  I'd had the engine running two or three times before this, but just running and there was no sign of this stuff when I did that. Only after that drive.  The pile you see there was not in one big solid clump.  I used a set of long nosed pliers to pull it out a bit at a time. THe photo is where I piled it as I removed it.

paul case

That will probably work. Did you have a temp guage hooked up when you drove it? If not then I would get one. I have had more engine failure to overheating than anything else.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Jeff

The truck has a mechanical, working, temp gauge. In the video you can kinda hear me mention the gauge going up and getting back to the house.

Raider Bill

Just leave it alone and it will fall out naturally. Mine is anyway. :D
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.
My advice on aging gracefully... ride fast bikes and date faster women, drink good tequila, practice your draw daily, be honest and fair in your dealings, but suffer not fools. Eat a hearty breakfast, and remember, ALL politicians are crooks.

Jeff

How a table becomes a truck.

trapper

will the truck be a table at the pigroast?
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Jeff

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Grandpa

I'm a couple of days late but want to thank Jeff and Tammy for the ride along. Sights and sounds of my younger days. :)

Jeff

One of my friends came over and brought his tablet endoscope. We ran it in the radiator and down the hose to the thermostat. There is no thermostat. We didn't see any more debris.  I also found the reason we had smoke. I noticed the silver engine paint on the exhaust manifold is now a toasty golden brown.

Jeff

Finished any major bodywork this weekend, like the places where the fenders meet the running boards.

What do y'all think of my headache rack design?

Grizzly

I like it! Just thinking though.........with your creative bent that you seem to have are we going to see some logo paint on that there rack?
2011 - Logmaster LM-2 / Chinese wheel loader
Jonsered saws - 2149 - 111S - 90?
2000 Miners 3-31 Board Edger

paul case

I like that sawblade Idea.!!

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

btulloh

Love the sawblade.  Did you cut that with torch?

Awesome truck.
HM126

Thank You Sponsors!