The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Author Topic: Logging for large company vs logging for yourself ?  (Read 2770 times)

Offline lshobie

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
Re: Logging for large company vs logging for yourself ?
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2017, 08:01:32 PM »
I did it myself....there is a learning curve and that costs money - mainly from the scumbags out there taking advantage of the new guy.  If you are willing to pay the learning fees then do it yourself, I still came out ahead but I learn quickly.  Firewood is quick and easy money and easy to sell, word of mouth and internet advertising which is free sells it fast - i have sold 30 loads this winter without a problem and could have sold 30 more.

Talk to the local guys hauling  timber - they know what mills are buying and which guys are scumbags - ask many logers and haulers and skidder operators, call the mills and veneer buyers and get all that info....cross reference that info and then try selling a load or two of veneer and sawlogs, wait for the cheque to come in and then see if you are happy with that...ask around and see what others think and then when you realize you were shortchanged try another one and you should be good with the next one. 

The scumbags smell fresh meat, there are lots of them out there but this is a great life and well worth it at the end of the day, you'll do fine.

Cheers.
Clark 664C, Woodmizer LT40, Alaskan Mill, Huskys, Stihls, and echos.

Offline U.P mich

• Yooper
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2017, 09:16:32 PM »
Thanks for all the advice.  I'm just gonna giver a go. I have my full time company crew still if the private market doesn't work out. 

Offline starmac

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2017, 02:52:57 PM »
The problem here is there is but one mill and the way they want the logs cut, if you are contract cutting.
You still have to get the wood to the mill, so even contract cutting for them you are doing everything including maintaining the roads, sometimes even building.

They want it cut in 53 foot lengths everything that will make a 6 in top at 53, you are scaled on the top, no adjustments, even though 20 fot of butt log would scale more.
If you are cutting your own, you can cut them at 33, 37,41,47 or 53. You can send in 24,21,or 16's but they dock ypu 18% on price.
Contract cutting you can not sell firewood, they are also in the firewood business big time, so much is left in the woods to rot on their sales.

This is for spruce, if their sale has birch that has to be harvested, you have to find your own market, or leave it and pay the stumpage anyway, the mill will not take it, even though they bought the sale it is on.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2017, 08:50:12 AM »
Sounds like there is plenty of room to open a competing mill. All the loggers who hate them would lunge at the chance to leave
Revelation 3:20

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
How to run a logging company...

Started by AlexInman06 on Forestry and Logging

38 Replies
Last post April 27, 2013, 09:33:18 PM
by beenthere
xx
Starting a logging company

Started by George19048 on Forestry and Logging

14 Replies
Last post January 20, 2016, 10:06:35 PM
by BargeMonkey
xx
Small logging / cutting company

Started by Coot on Forestry and Logging

7 Replies
Last post September 01, 2004, 07:09:26 PM
by DanManofStihl
xx
Solicitation letter from logging company.

Started by Paschale on Forestry and Logging

24 Replies
Last post April 06, 2005, 08:11:56 AM
by Ed_K