iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How'd Ya Git Yer Username

Started by fstedy, December 12, 2004, 08:05:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vermonter

Started using it after a book called "Real Vermonters Don't Milk Goats" was published.   The book pokes fun back at the out-of-staters who move here and look down on the locals.  Very funny outline of the difference between flatlanders and vermonters.
I met most of the requirements to be a real Vermonter, except my mother's side of the family only went back three generations in Vermont and my father is from Georgia. 
New homestead

Skeeter

Great topic idea....great response so far too !

I dont post much here....but I shall deevulge me username.

I am Skeeter...Lord of the Jung.....

wait ...thats not right.

Ummm....

I am Skeeter....parasite to the world ???

hmmm....no....not right either...

How about this...

I am Skeeter, because I surf the web alot and hit alot of websites for info ?
Therefore, I quite literally am *flying* around the world  !!!

There ...I like that !!!

Skeeter
Skeeter

woodbeard

Well, what can I say? My face is usually plastered with sawdust. :D

genedieter

Well, it's quite simple..........

it's my name; I'm kinda simple

GD

KiwiCharlie

Hi Gene (is that right?!)
Theres nothing wrong with that - I felt this was a good place when I joined, and therefore didnt have any problems using my real name.  Unlike other places where I use such names as threebigtoes or hickoryfoot!!  :D  I like the abstract names for forums like that!  :D
Cheers
Charlie.
Walk tall and carry a big Stihl.

genedieter

Yes, Charlie...it's Gene

And Yes...this place is great! I have learned so much here; and I'm learning more every day! I appreciate all the knowledge and experience here that everyone is so willing to share.

I've been on here so often in the past few months, my wife now jokes with me when she sees me on the computer, asking "are you talking with your friends?" And that's funny and true as well! Even though I don't know anyone on here personally, I actually do feel the friendship in this place.

GD

KiwiCharlie

Hi Gene,
Yes, I feel the same.  Ive been away for a while, but I still really value the 'cyber' friends Ive made here.  They genuinely care.  This forum is very different from others.  Lots of really good feedback, and without the hassles you see elsewhere.  Jeff can be thanked for most of that.  He does a great job here, and its appreciated by me, and Im sure, everyone else here.
I would like nothing more than to be able to get to the US one day, and meet some of these people.  It really is like a big family.
Long live the FF!  :)
Cheers
Charlie.
Walk tall and carry a big Stihl.

Quartlow

An ex boss gave me mine 20 some odd years ago, I worked for this guy hauling local steel, had to haul six loads a day From the slittler to the tube plant. Since we got paid buyy the load I got real tired of working 12 hours a day. Most of that waiting in line.

So I started taking the shipper in donuts everyday. After a week or so I conned in into letting me double out, hey they where light loads only about 35,000 pounds each.  So now I'm geting done at noon instead of 6

This went on for about a week, one day he caught up to me in the yard about 12:30 as I was getting geady to go home

HIM: Whats going on?
ME : going home.
Him: How many loads you get in today/
ME: 6
HIM: Just what time did you start this morning?
ME: 6, like always
HIM your telling me you hauled 6 loads in 6 hours?
ME: yep.
HIM: BULL!!!!( Well he said more but I can' post it)
ME: sure did, not only that I only used 1/2 of the fuel this week as anyone else.
HIM. yeah sure you did, that is not possible.
ME sure it is, if you haul to coils at a time instead of one you only have to make 3 trips,
HIM: WHAT??
ME yeah , if you double up you get done in half the time>
HIM: Boy you are about a quart low.

It kind of stuck. there are people around yet today who don't know my real name but they darn sure know who Quartlow is.
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

Fraxinus

Well, I've always been partial to Fraxinus americana.  LOve those ash trees.   And I wanted a completely different handle than what I use on the tractor discussion boards that I frequent.
Grandchildren, Bluegrass music, old tractors, trees and sawmills.  It don't get no better'n that!

Roxie

Quartlow, it was very interesting to hear where you got your handle.  If I had used the same thinking, I would be known as
Three Bricks Shy :)
Say when

Murf

Frax, what handle do you use on the tractor boards?

And which boards if I can be that nosey, it seems there several of us who end up in the same places on the net... talk about coincedences.  :o
If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

Quartlow

Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

Weekend_Sawyer

I go over to Yesterdays tractors. My 2nd favorite website. I post as JonwithanM because I have a Farmall M

For here its simple Ihave a nice weekend sawmillin hobby.

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

pifan

I am a big detroit pistons fan and on there forum pfan was taken so i went with pifan and ive used the same name on forums ever since.

DanG

Fraxinus, I'll admit I had to look that up when you first came here. :P   We don't have none of them trees here.  Then, when I saw what it was, I concluded you called yourself that cause you figgered to make an ash of yourself, anyway. ::) ;D :D :D

I'm glad you finally came over here, and I claim total responsibility for dragging you here.  I knew you'd fit in. :)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Fraxinus

Quote from: Murf on March 04, 2005, 12:41:21 PM
Frax, what handle do you use on the tractor boards?

And which boards if I can be that nosey, it seems there several of us who end up in the same places on the net... talk about coincedences.  :o
Les or Les...fortunate on YTMag (Tractor Tales, Talk and Case boards), also on Kountry Life and Red Power Magazine.
Grandchildren, Bluegrass music, old tractors, trees and sawmills.  It don't get no better'n that!

Steve

Steve
Hawaiian Hardwoods Direct
www.curlykoa.com

ADfields

My first name, Andy.  My better half's first name, Dana.  That is the AD and Fields is our last name, so ADfields. ::)   We started useing it as a farm name for papers on our horses, cattle and Catahoula dogs way before the web came along.
Andy

Fraxinus

Quote from: Weekend_Sawyer on March 04, 2005, 04:24:03 PM

I go over to Yesterdays tractors. My 2nd favorite website. I post as JonwithanM because I have a Farmall M

For here its simple Ihave a nice weekend sawmillin hobby.

Jon
Hi JonwithanM.  I also have an M.  It's a '48.  What a great machine.
You must post on the Farmall board.  I don't spend much time there.

maple flats

Nothing special about mine. I make maple syrup and my land is sorta flat. Makes it harder to use tubing but I manage. Have to use an extension ladder to tap the trees farthest from the collection tanks. 8) 8)  I can't use sap ladders because I don't have electric for vacume and my operation is too small to warrent using the generator or a gas powered vacume pump.maple syrup is great
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Weekend_Sawyer

Hey Fraxinus I read the Farmall and Ford bords I don't post too much because most of the information is allready there.
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

DR Buck

Nick names in our LARGE family span many variations.  Some funny, like a cousin called 'Chut', which no one seems to remember how she got it over 45 years ago, and another cousin called 'Oink for the last 50+ years.

My father has been known by the nickname 'Bucky' for as long as I remember.  My youngest brother took on 'Buck', and late in high school my son also adopted 'Buck', but to my grand kids, he's 'Uncle Buck'.  I've been able to avoid being permanently tagged with any nick name most of my life,. Even after 25 years Navy and Navy reserve.

In my non-milling profession I work in system engineering and we get LOTS of magazines offered free.  For years most have come addressed with my initials, D.R.   Due to my long last name many leave out the .. and just address to DR, So becoming a doctor was easy.  Didn't even have to mail order a degree.

David R. Buckwalter    aka   DR_Buck
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

woodhick

When I was a small boy "or should I say young as I have never been small"  :D :Dthe "old-timers" would call anybody that worked on a mill or in the woods a woodhick.  I guess I always wanted to be one.  I beleive that I was born with sawdust in my veins, cause when I'm not sawing i'm working in cabinet shop or trying to learn more about wood. ;D :P
Woodmizer LT40 Super 42hp Kubota, and more heavy iron woodworking equipment than I have room for.

bioguy

Biology teacher for the past  26 years ( Man,that sounds like a long time!) I still feel like I'm only 26!!
bioguy

fstedy

:) ;D :D Hey all you newbies its time to fess up.  :D ;D :)
Timberking B-20   Retired and enjoying every minute of it.
Former occupations Electrical Lineman, Airline Pilot, Owner operator of Machine Shop, Slot Machine Technician and Sawmill Operator.
I know its a long story!!!

Thank You Sponsors!