The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Author Topic: Firewood on a Hakki Pilkie 1x37  (Read 5705 times)

Offline GRANITEstateMP

• LIVE FREE OR DIE
    • Share Post
Re: Firewood on a Hakki Pilkie 1x37
« Reply #40 on: June 29, 2020, 07:19:04 PM »
Thanks guys!  I ordered some NGK plugs today, they'll replace the "Torch" brand that it came with ;)and

We are finally getting some much needed rain, so I may not be able to tackle it Tues either, but I plan on doing plugs, and now I'll drain the bowls too.  Might as well fire a fuel filter at it also.  

I was leary about the Pres for parts / quality reasons when I bought it, but $750 for 22ish hp was worth rolling the dice.  I feel like it's gonna be a valve train issue, but like I said, we'll try the easy stuff first and then reassess.
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO

Offline barbender

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #41 on: June 30, 2020, 12:48:55 AM »
Torch brand spark plugs...I had not heard of that brand before😂
Too many irons in the fire

Offline Spike60

• Share Post
« Reply #42 on: June 30, 2020, 07:48:41 AM »
Torch plugs are Chinese and come standard on a lot of those odd motors. Often see them on name brand mowers using "private labeled" engines. Really nothing wrong with them, but like you said, a good place to start. There's usually an NGK equivalent which is a good thing. Hardly anyone stocks Torch plugs.

Hilltop's suggestion to check for water in the carb is a good one, and it's another simple step to take. I know you mentioned that other equipment is running fine on fuel from the same jug. But water in a gas tank doesn't always originate in the fuel can. Sometimes it'll find it's way into the individual machine.

Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

Offline hedgerow

• Share Post
« Reply #43 on: June 30, 2020, 10:10:32 AM »
NGK plugs are all I use in air cooled engines. They seem to last the best. I sure would do a compression test while I had the plugs out. That will give you a idea if you have a valve or valve train issue. 

Offline GRANITEstateMP

• LIVE FREE OR DIE
    • Share Post
« Reply #44 on: June 30, 2020, 05:36:07 PM »
Hedgerow,

I really don't want to do a comp test, or pull a valve cover!  Then it'll really be a problem, right now, it potentially is just bad gas and plugs... :-\
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO

Offline Nathan4104

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #45 on: July 01, 2020, 07:46:30 AM »
is there a strainer/filter on the fuel line in the tank like some honda's?   

Offline hedgerow

• Share Post
« Reply #46 on: July 01, 2020, 12:53:32 PM »
Hedgerow,

I really don't want to do a comp test, or pull a valve cover!  Then it'll really be a problem, right now, it potentially is just bad gas and plugs... :-\
I hope that it's bad gas or plugs but it only take a couple minutes while you have the plugs out to check the compression. Then you know if you need to pull the valve covers or not. I have a Kohler 23 on a mower that just turned 1000 hours and has only had the plugs replaced once. 

Offline Corley5

• Senior Member x2
  • Wolverine, Michigan
    • Share Post
    • Whittaker Farms
« Reply #47 on: July 01, 2020, 02:46:04 PM »
The 2nd Honda GX670 on my Block Buster had three sets of plugs over it's 4,700 hour life span.  The 5.5 hp Honda on the elevator is living with a Torch plug.  The NGK went dead last winter after a huge number of hours.  I didn't have a new one in stock but have a Chonda in the shed.  The Chonda doesn't have a plug in it now ;) :) but I've got a couple new NGKs in the tool box.  
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Offline GRANITEstateMP

• LIVE FREE OR DIE
    • Share Post
« Reply #48 on: July 02, 2020, 04:38:25 PM »
I did pull the valve covers, all looked good. Waiting on my buddy to swing by after work with comp gauge. Going to install the fuel filter, new plugs after that. Checked air filter (banged out a bit of saw dust) and carbs when I pulled the fuel filter.  Should know better in a couple hours! Better check my plug gaps before I forget, again ;D
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO

Offline GRANITEstateMP

• LIVE FREE OR DIE
    • Share Post
« Reply #49 on: July 02, 2020, 06:47:03 PM »
well, that was fun :( We did a compression check, twice, just to be sure. One cylinder was 80psi, the other was 140psi. So much for bad fuel :'( 

I put the new filters and plugs in, runs ok, but I never got it all warmed up either, just made sure it runs again.

I think it was a bit over a year ago when we mounted that motor.  Kinda bummed it only made it that long, I was hoping for two years!  I think we'll run it til it pop's, not much sense putting good money into a Chonda, I may but another, or revisit Honda? Pretty sure the Honda's were double the price and you still had to add the muffler... Gonna have to ponder that a bit more... Or maybe get creative with warranty ???
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO

Offline Hilltop366

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #50 on: July 02, 2020, 09:33:11 PM »
Probably too late now if your buddy is gone with the compression tester but usually you will get better readings with a warmed up engine, sometimes you will get completely different readings after the engine has warmed up.

My brother use to drive a truck weekly to Toronto for years hauling seafood up and often produce back so he would have to get the trailer washed out before returning, the pressure washer guys tried the knockoff Honda and said they lasted about 1/3 as long as the real ones so the switched back as the knockoff ones died. This would have been 10 years ago but I don't think things have changed much.

I was looking at a v twin Honda at the surplus centre a while back that seemed like a ok deal but between the exchange rate, shipping and customs broker fees it was more than I was willing to spend. there might still be some left. 

Offline Spike60

• Share Post
« Reply #51 on: July 04, 2020, 07:32:41 AM »
Sorry that you ended up with one, but this is one of those motors that make the statistics what they are. The intended application and where these motors are going to live are things to consider before buying one. When measuring them with the premium Honda yardstick, they will always come up short. And in a commercial or high use application, the disappointment can arrive fairly soon.

Dealing with that disappointment via warranty could prove to be an even more frustrating experience. It's easy to write warranty in the catelog or on the box, but who is in place, and where, to provide warranty service? Even shops that are willing to work on these things are unlikely to be set up to process warranty claims on them. And there's no place to order parts. The 2 big aftermarket players in the industry, Rotary and Stens, don't support these engines, because it's a moving target. Too many sources of engines and the investment to support them all makes no business sense at all.

Didn't want this to end up being a lecture, but these pitfalls are real when buying these products. Unfortunately nobody ever talks about them until something breaks, and then the customer starts to feel very much alone when it becomes apparent that there's no support network in place to help him. Maintaining those networks that exist for the OEM engine brands is part of the cost of those engines.

I get that sometimes prices on these motors are so good that it can be worth the gamble. But just understand that it IS a gamble and be prepared that it might not work out in the end.
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

Offline hedgerow

• Share Post
« Reply #52 on: July 04, 2020, 12:12:39 PM »
If you end up stuck with the engine. I would pull that valve cover on the head with the low compression and check the head bolt torque and the valve lash and if that's all good I would pull that head and take a look at the valves maybe it burning a exhaust valve and you could just replace that. 

Offline GRANITEstateMP

• LIVE FREE OR DIE
    • Share Post
« Reply #53 on: July 05, 2020, 02:05:53 PM »
Thanks for the feedback. We did 3 more cord on it this am, popping and fartin away ::) It isn't horrible, but it's not great either. I started digging into a replacement Honda for the unit, looks like it'll be close to $1900 once I add a muffler. I'm between a GX630RHQZB3 and a GX630RHQZE, if anybody has any input on those units or one similar, that be great!

I guess I'll go do another cord of wood... It's a beautiful day, be nice to go float in the lake for an hour or two, but I'm gonna be needin a new engine soon >:( better go make a little $$$
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO

Offline Corley5

• Senior Member x2
  • Wolverine, Michigan
    • Share Post
    • Whittaker Farms
« Reply #54 on: July 05, 2020, 04:39:35 PM »
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Offline GRANITEstateMP

• LIVE FREE OR DIE
    • Share Post
« Reply #55 on: July 05, 2020, 09:23:49 PM »
Corley, you Sir are a gentleman and a scholar! Thanks for the link!  I'm pretty sure there price (shipped) is within dollars of one of the larger suppliers that I'd rather not use. There muffler are $30ish cheaper too!  I got to get out my cash reserve envelope and see if I can afford to get the new unit coming now or later.  Pretty sure the Honda GX630RHQZ3 IS gonna be my go to unit. Still looking at a few others too
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO

Offline GRANITEstateMP

• LIVE FREE OR DIE
    • Share Post
« Reply #56 on: July 05, 2020, 09:40:30 PM »
Oh man, now I've goon down a work hole!  Any feedback on the 35up Vanguard motors?  I'd love to have the extra HP, but I don't want to throw money away on a junk !ptor, again!
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO

Offline Hilltop366

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #57 on: July 06, 2020, 05:01:53 PM »
Unrelated to your last question and more about your popping engine.... I had a B&S v twin in a lawn tractor that would run poorly on one cylinder and I looked at valve issues but it ended up to be some tiny O rings in the carb that swell up over time and cause the problem, replaced the o rings and all was well.

Offline hedgerow

• Share Post
« Reply #58 on: July 07, 2020, 09:06:38 AM »
Have you looked at Kohler engines I have a 25 Hp with 1,000 hours on it and a 40 Hp big block that has 500 hours on it both have only needed general maintenance. I have a couple older Briggs V twin 20 Hp that have been good engines. I do have a buddy that him and his son run a lawn service as a second job and bought some zero turns a few years ago with the big block Briggs in them and I think so far they have been good engines. They went from Kohler's to the Briggs. 

Offline GRANITEstateMP

• LIVE FREE OR DIE
    • Share Post
« Reply #59 on: July 08, 2020, 06:37:19 AM »
Thanks for all the help and replys  guys!  Pretty sure I'm gonna just replace the Pred with a Honda (like it had before).  I'm looking at the Pres as a 1 year trial, that didn't work out. I haven't done all the math yet, but I'm pretty sure we've pushed about 100 cord through that motor between last year and this year, so it cost about $8 a cord for the Pres "rental". Lesson learned, save up front, but loose in the long run.  The repower to a higher hp motor might have been nice, but not at the added expense, or the time to adapt that onto the pto that I want to take on right now. Guess I'll go grease equipment before I need to go to my real job!
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Hakki 1x37 power plant

Started by kirk105s on Firewood and Wood Heating

0 Replies
Last post May 08, 2016, 07:44:19 AM
by kirk105s
xx
Hakki pilke easy 37 issue

Started by learydeere on Firewood and Wood Heating

1 Replies
Last post December 05, 2017, 09:11:38 PM
by GRANITEstateMP