iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

1970 chevy c50

Started by bigred1951, May 03, 2017, 03:12:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigred1951

Might be buying a 70 Chevy c50 has a 350 straight 4 speed. 14ft flatbed log truck. It's rough and ugly but runs and drives good. A buddy bought it when he logged some land now he's done with it and selling it. Told me I can buy it for $500. I figure the mud tires that can fit my dump truck and the motor worth that. Any thoughts

ohiowoodchuck

I'd say it is. I had 500 in building log standards for a gooseneck. I'd give you your money back.
Education is the best defense against the media.

Stoneyacrefarm

I had a C50 I used for years hauling wood and hay.
It was a great truck. No problems with it at all.
Had a 14' flatbed dump.
I had short and tall sides for it.
If it runs and drives it's worth that all day.
Work hard. Be rewarded.

Bert

I have a 72' I use here and there around the mill. Definitely worth $500. Only thing mine needs is power steering. Its a workout to turn that thing around. Mines a 14' dump.
Saw you tomorrow!

Puffergas

How often can somebody buy a log truck for $500?
Jeff
Somewhere 20 miles south of Lake Erie.

GEHL 5624 skid steer, Trojan 114, Timberjack 225D, D&L SB1020 mill, Steiger Bearcat II

lopet

$ 500 is my favorite number to buy old iron.   8) 8) Good for you
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

coxy

its a good thing its your buddy or it would have an extra 0 at the end

bigred1951

I think it's a good price but like I said the old truck is rough. Floor boards are rusted rockers are rusty and one fender rusty. But the truck does run and drive good. Sometimes gotta look past the poo to find a diamond haha

red

I had a 1969 C40 6cyl, 4 speed, a 9 ft dump bed . It was a great truck but not the prettiest.  The steering was excellent with a very small turning radius. I gave it to a farmer I knew who had a few C 60's with the same 67-72 trucks. 
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

paul case

Sounds like something I would use.

Looks don't make the truck in my opinion. If you are going to take it out in the sticks and load logs on it things will happen. Why would you want chrome on a truck to do that with?

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Ox

According to something I just looked up recently, $500 is the same as $50 in 1950 with today's inflation.  Something to think about...

I'd buy that old truck quick for $500.  Who cares if it's a little rusty?  Function first - pretty later.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Bert

The 350 is worth that alone even whooped. If you have any dirt tracks around your place running late models those guys grab them up. $2k is reasonable around here for the motor.
Saw you tomorrow!

coxy

Quote from: bigred1951 on May 04, 2017, 08:44:15 AM
I think it's a good price but like I said the old truck is rough. Floor boards are rusted rockers are rusty and one fender rusty. But the truck does run and drive good. Sometimes gotta look past the poo to find a diamond haha
that's what i was saying if some one else had it it would be 5k not 500 if i saw it around here i would buy it to

ohiowoodchuck

Where's it I got family in olive hill. I'll have them pick it up for 500
Education is the best defense against the media.

AlexHart

This is bringing back memories. 

My grandfather had that almost exact truck (except I think it was a 73).   It wasn't very powerful but the bench seat was really squishy and comfortable, hardly anything ever went wrong with it, and the stupid thing got like 12 mpg.   

Makes me wonder now how we figure we are making progress sometimes.   For probably 105,000 bucks you can get one now that'll get 7mpg with more computer chips and circuits on it than my desktop.   

grouch

Quote from: AlexHart on May 05, 2017, 01:00:36 PM
This is bringing back memories. 

My grandfather had that almost exact truck (except I think it was a 73).   It wasn't very powerful but the bench seat was really squishy and comfortable, hardly anything ever went wrong with it, and the stupid thing got like 12 mpg.   

Makes me wonder now how we figure we are making progress sometimes.   For probably 105,000 bucks you can get one now that'll get 7mpg with more computer chips and circuits on it than my desktop.

The computerization is to squeeze a fraction of a percent more efficiency out of the engine. That does little good when the marketing dept demands it carry a big puffy box to make it look like a junior heavy duty over-the-road tractor-trailer rig. That '73 was boxy, but it wasn't pushing as much air down the road in front of it as new ones.

You're going to throw away as waste heat about $0.75 of every $1 spent on fuel. I just don't understand why we should throw away a big chunk of that remaining quarter just pushing air down the road. I want as much of it going to pulling the load as possible. Ok, I'll hush now.
Find something to do that interests you.

Thank You Sponsors!