iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I charge to unload trailers

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, May 08, 2017, 09:05:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mooseherder

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Not only scarey but  down right nasty!  :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

WDH

That eagle got his tail feathers kicked. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on May 09, 2017, 08:30:24 PM
That eagle got his tail feathers kicked.

Don't mess with a 2 Goats.  :D :D :D

Larry

Yesterday I did a small custom job.  Four logs and one beam all to be sawed into 3/4" slats.  Took about 2 minutes to unload his trailer with the forklift.  Two hours saw time cause the logs were so small and crooked.  200 board foot total.  If he doesn't show up tomorrow to get his lumber I'll band it and move it out of my way, more lost time.  At least banded I can load quick and get him on his way. 

Never charged a minimum but maybe I should to discourage the small jobs like above or encourage the customer to bring more logs.  Me hates small logs.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

YellowHammer

That eagle didn't look too bright and obviously didn't have much of a plan, either.  I bet he was sore the next day.     
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Peter Drouin

Quote from: YellowHammer on May 09, 2017, 11:34:50 PM
That eagle didn't look too bright and obviously didn't have much of a plan, either.  I bet he was sore the next day.     

The eagle looked hooked and could not let go to me.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

WDH

That is what you get for hooking up with a goat. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thecfarm

I would like to know how long it took the eagle to fly off after he got unhooked?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SlowJoeCrow

That eagle has eyes much bigger than it's talons!!  I was impressed how long it held on and that it would even attempt that large of prey.

Kbeitz

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

SlowJoeCrow

Moral of the story:  DON'T CLIMB THE HILL!!

Magicman

It's amazing that it was all caught on camera.   :o
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

paul case

It was only caught on camera because it was all an act. The actor playing the eagle was an ex fighter pilot and the actor playing the goat was David Poston. He has very good insurance!!!!

It was filmed to be viewed from Poston sawmill's cedar pavilion. Also available for weddings funerals and poker night.

;D

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Magicman

OK, I get it. 

I took this picture just after he put on his head mask.

And this one after the eagle had flown away.   :o
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Darrel

:D :D :D  :D :D :D :D :D ;D
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

bucknwfl

I have a trailer with sides but I lay 4x4 across the top and gives plenty of room for the forks to slide right out

Buck
If it was easy everybody would be doing it

NWP

Why couldn't you saw for 30/mbft and unload for free?  You'd make more in the long run and once your customers heard the word free they'd think they're getting a great deal.
1999 Blockbuster 2222, 1997 Duratech HD10, 2021 Kubota SVL97-2, 2011 Case SV250, 2000 Case 1845C, 2004 Case 621D, John Deere 540A, 2011 Freightliner with Prentice 120C, 2012 Chevrolet, 1997 GMC bucket truck, several trailers, and Stihl saws.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: thecfarm on May 10, 2017, 07:41:40 AM
I would like to know how long it took the eagle to fly off after he got unhooked?

22 minutes is the word in the pen.   smiley_gossip

YellowHammer

After watching the videos, I am taking rock climbing off my bucket list.

Maybe we could get the eagle to unload the goat's trailer? 
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

redbeard

After seeing the poor goats demise I've decided not too charge for trailer unloading.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

4x4American

Quote from: Dave Shepard on May 08, 2017, 09:16:54 PM
Sounds reasonable to me. I'm at the point where i just don't want to load anything without a flat deck. One mill near me charges full sawing rate,  $400.00/hr for a WM1000, from the time you arrive, until the time you leave.

How do they figure how long it'll take a customer to pay the bill?  Just add an hour to it or do the send an invoice?
Boy, back in my day..

Dave Shepard

I guess once the trailer or truck is loaded, the clock stops. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

red

Clock stops when they drive thru the EZ Pass gate at the street. Please drive less than 15 mph.
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Bruno of NH

Thanks Peter
Loaded a trailer with sides tonight .
Used my sling straps
It worked great and off he went back to Vt :)
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Thank You Sponsors!