iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

BIRDS

Started by Bro. Noble, December 16, 2004, 10:19:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rusticretreater

Cardinals, Blue Jays, Pileated Woodpeckers and other woodpeckers are back in my 8 acre timber stand.
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

trapper

sandhill cranes are back
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

WV Sawmiller

The yardbirds are getting pretty sizeable around here. I looked out the window and spotted one this size in the pasture and some others back by the woodshed then noticed this one had landed in and gotten trapped in the back yard and was running around trying to figure how to get out.

This one and his sibling (?) have been coming around about this time of year for the last 3 years. Their beards are dragging the ground. They have 4-5 young gobblers with them from time to time. They feed across the road then they jump up and fly a few strokes then land in the pasture or if a little short in the yard. This is the first one I have seen in the fenced yard. I let Sampson out and he finally spotted this one and took off after him. When he got close the turkey jumped up and flew over the front fence then over the lot and circled around and landed by the barn and up the pasture from there to to join the other 4-6 waiting for him in the woods. 

In my mis-spent youth this turkey might have fared considerably worse than just getting chased off by a dog half his size.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Walnut Beast

Definitely a nice beard 

WV Sawmiller

His partner has a match to it. There are 2-3 with 6-8 inch beards and a couple of jakes with 3-4 inch beards with them most of the time.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

SwampDonkey

I saw Canada geese here on Friday in the creek. I knew I heard geese the other night, thought I was crazy. No bare ground around here.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WhitePineJunky

Quote from: SwampDonkey on March 21, 2023, 02:11:50 AM
Grouse in a birch for context. ;)

Robin when still lots of snow. I guarantee no worms are in that snow. ;D

Had a few robins around all winter here. Seen a "suicidal" grouse on side of road yesterday wasn't worried about cars driving by 3-4 foot away from it, but if you come within 20 foot of them in brush they will scare the jeebers out of ya. 

Chuck White

Saw a pair of Killdeers in the side yard yesterday.

Lots of Robins and Red Wing Blackbirds.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

WhitePineJunky

Grackles made their spring arrival last week

SwampDonkey

Saw a couple crackles last week, none since. No sign of any other summer birds except geese and ducks in the creeks. Still several inches of snow in the fields, more on the way mid week. Only got to 30F here today and a hard north wind.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

KEC

Today I tallied these birds around the house: 7 Mourning Doves, 1 Blue Jay, 2 American Crows, 1 Hairy Woodpecker, 1 Northern Flicker, 2 Black-capped Chickadees, 1 Tufted Titmouse, 1 White-breasted Nuthatch, 1 European Starling, 2 House Sparrows, 4 House Finches, 2 White-throated Sparrows, 2 American Tree Sparrows, 5 Song Sparrows, 1 Fox Sparrow, 3 Dark-eyed Juncos, 10 Red-winged Blackbirds, 5 Common Grackles, 1 Brown-headed Cowbird and 3 Northern Cardinals. A testament to how broke I'm going buying sunflower seed.

SwampDonkey

Lots of robins around today, but no bare ground except people's plowed yards. ;D

woodroe

Had a large flock maybe 2 doz. Red Winged Blackbirds show up under the 
birdfeeder Monday. 
And seeing the Bears will be coming out of hibernation anytime the birds are on their own for food now. Nice bird tally KEC !
Skidding firewood with a kubota L3300.

Ianab

It's interesting how folks are noting birds returning for Spring. We are in Autumn and expecting some of the local native birds to show up soon. 

The Tui do "migrate", about 10 miles down the hill. To where it's a bit warmer and there are still flowering trees in town gardens.  They are a honey eater, and will be here until late Spring, squabbling over the Banksia and Camellia trees. They are one of the native birds that have adapted to humans, and can handle the introduced predators. 

There are other birds that leave for Winter and fly to Alaska or Siberia.  Then back again 6 months later. I guess they REALLY dislike Winter.  :D
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

SwampDonkey

A lot of our migratory song birds and most crows (not all migrate) around here don't really go that far. But swallows go a continent away and Arctic terns go from pole to pole. :o I've watched them catch fish from the Meziadin in NW British Columbia.

Saw my first turkey vulture this year on Tuesday flying over the creek by himself.

thecfarm

I have been seeing flocks of robins.
Sometimes 20 robins, then see 50.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

KEC

Did you guys know that Blue Jays are migratory. On the Southeast corner of Lake Ontario is a place called Derby Hill Bird Observatory, best known as a place to see migrating raptors. You can sit in your lawn chair and watch as the birds go by, sometimes in big numbers. I have been there and over the ~3 hours there, there was a steady stream of Blue Jays going by like leaves blown by a leaf blower. Any time now, Broad-winged Hawks will be coming through and sometimes thousands in a day. Good flights depend on favorable winds to help them along.

SwampDonkey

Blue jays are here year around at my place here in NB, in the land of snow. Put up a bird feeder and you have 30 move in like sharks. Now crows on the other hand, they will migrate out of here, but a few still stay behind as do the ravens. I feed 4 crows here all winter, a couple ravens will come by, but they like to stay a long way away down in the field. Down in Fredericton there is a murder of crows that go from the university woodlot to roost to down town, depending on season, they stay all winter. Been in the news 2 or 3 times about them moving roosting spots.

I'm seeing northern harriers now. The kestrels have been around a couple weeks, I saw the crows chase one out of here. Killdeer are here also.

Up where I live there is still a lot of snow, that is less as you go south or out to the river.

There is a fellow on FB group 'Birding Atlantic Canada' who has been following a pure white black capped chickadee, not albinism, but a condition called leucism.

KEC

It's tough to know if the Blue Jays we see in winter are the ones that were around in the warm months or ones that summered farther North. Sometimes, when they are migrating, you might notice a lot of them moving in one direction, North or South, and you realize that you are seeing the migration.  SD, you are far enough North that the number of birds migrating may be thin. Reminds me, from my observations, I rarely see Bay-breasted Warblers during migration. Makes it easy to think there aren't many of them. There is a sizeable river in Quebec that flows to the Southeast into the St. Lawrence river, creating a bird migration funnel. A few years ago, a couple of people from Cornell U. Lab of Ornithology went there and recorded somewhere around 2,000 in one day.

SwampDonkey

That is probably the Saguenay River that comes out of Lac St. Jean near Alma. Even the forest is different there in the valley than surrounding hills out of the valley. Mixedwood in the valley and softwoods outside. Goes up into a large agricultural area flat as the kitchen floor, identical to the land along the St Lawrence flood plain.

Saguenay R at Chicoutimi

Alma   Fields of harvested canola.

SwampDonkey

I've never seen any groups of blue jays move in and out of here. I see it every year with robins, grackles, red winged black birds and so on though. But robins only go toward the coast, they are in southern NB all winter.

We now have Canada geese that nest here in NB because our premier brought goslings here 30 years ago and now they and their kin come back here to nest. Completely upset the apple cart. :D

SwampDonkey

According to Cornell blue jays move around in migration, but their map shows them here year around to. So like the crows, some go, some stay I guess. Never heard about that all the years I've been here because we see them every day all year.

SwampDonkey

Saw two toms display yesterday among a bunch of hens and I hear a gobbler this morning under the hill behind the back yard. First time for me to see and here with all this snow around. No bare fields yet, but they will show this week with the forecast warmth coming. The turkeys must be better at weather guessing. ;D

JonathanPace

Out here in NZ, we've got heaps of magpies. Magpies can memorise human faces. According to a study, magpies can recall faces up to four years prior. 

KEC

Same with American Crows, if someones harms any of them, the rest remember that individual human for a long time. When Alfred Hitchcock made the movie "The Birds", they used trained tame crows. For some reason the crows took a serious disliking to one of the film crew and gave him a real bad time.

Thank You Sponsors!