The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: BIRDS  (Read 302278 times)

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
Re: BIRDS
« Reply #1560 on: November 03, 2019, 09:01:58 PM »
   Great picture! I love screech owls. They look like grumpy little old men. Very few people ever see one. I hope he sticks around.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #1561 on: November 04, 2019, 04:53:31 PM »
:D :D I had chickadees that were using two bird houses to store ironwood seed for winter. Other birds will hide seeds in tree bark. I suspect the chickadees do to. The yard here has 4 ironwood trees and they had thousands of seeds this year. :D I think the chickadees were trying to de-thrown that owl from their stash hideout. :D
Move'n on.

Offline KEC

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #1562 on: November 06, 2019, 07:32:52 PM »
Chickadees  are well-known for mobbing owls so if you hear chickadees and others making a big fuss, check it out. Crows often mob owls and hawks. So, if you hear crows putting up a big fuss, check that out too. Oftentimes it will lead you to a Great-horned Owl or Barred Owl or others.

Offline Jeff

• Fearless Leader
  • Administrator
  • I know that I do not know.
    • Share Post
    • THEE Forestry Forum
« Reply #1563 on: November 06, 2019, 07:44:31 PM »
Ive not caught it on video, yet, but we have a pilated woodpecker that pecks away at the suet, then he flies a few feet to the flag pole where he wipes his bill back and forth on the flag rope like a knife on a steel.

Two redheads.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life.
Ezekiel 22:30

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #1564 on: November 06, 2019, 10:12:30 PM »
    Thanks for sharing. We have several living on the back side of my place and I hear them every evening when I am hunting up there and usually see them off in the distance but rarely close enough to get a picture of them. They are one of my favorite birds.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline Hilltop366

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #1565 on: November 07, 2019, 11:18:41 AM »
Crows often mob owls and hawks. So, if you hear crows putting up a big fuss, check that out too.

Seen two hawks getting harassed by crows this week.

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #1566 on: November 07, 2019, 01:10:44 PM »
   Good shots. I like it even better when a pint sized mockingbird gets back at them and chase the crows around.
Howard Green

Offline Hilltop366

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #1567 on: November 11, 2019, 05:35:24 PM »
A couple of eagles around the camp this weekend as usual, the never seem to come over to my side of the river but they did Sunday and I was able get a half decent picture of one through the trees.

Offline Roxie

• Administrator
  • I'm your huckleberry
    • Share Post
« Reply #1568 on: November 11, 2019, 08:38:28 PM »
Nice shot!  They are such magnificent birds. 
Save a farm today or starve tomorrow.

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #1569 on: November 12, 2019, 03:46:09 AM »
Yep, I see them once in awhile soar over the farmland out here away from the river.  Any deer or moose ponce around here left behind from hunting will have an eagle on it.  And the ravens and crows will stay at a distance.
Move'n on.

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #1570 on: November 12, 2019, 09:24:01 AM »
   We have lots of eagles on Bluestone Lake here where the New and the Bluestone Rivers merge and where I go catfishing. Lots of times I take my photographer wife and we will go run the lines and sometimes stake out our catch and pick them up on the way back then go up river several miles till we hit the shoals and too shallow for safe motoring. We see 3 distinct groups with this years young with black beaks and feet and no white on their head or tail. Many people mistake them for golden eagles or hawks. (We even had one at the Zoology Dept at AU when I went there someone had originally identified as as golden eagle then one of the ornithologists got to checking and confirmed it was a young bald eagle.) The juvenile birds will have yellow beaks and feet but no or little white on their heads and tails and finally the adult birds with completely white heads and tails. I have seen captive 5 y/o birds with white heads but they still had a few trace brown feathers in the heads if you looked close. It takes them over 5-6 years to get the completely white head and tail.

Eagles around here hunt the mud flats and such catching fish in the shallow water. They also steal fish from the ospreys and even the herons if one of them catches a fish to big to immediately swallow. (We spotted a blue heron in the Everglades several years ago with a largemouth bass that had to weigh at least 1.5 lbs. He kept tossing it up in the air and catching it till he finally got it pointed right then he finally choked it down but if there had been an eagle around he could easily have lost it.) I watched an eagle crash into an osprey about 70 yards from me one day fishing up there. The osprey dropped the fish he was carrying and the eagle swooped down and picked it up in the shallow water near the bank. The osprey followed him about 10' behind as they flew out of sight. I doubt he ever got brave enough to try to take it back and likely was hoping he would drop it.

I love to watch them. Many around here will stay on the perch while we drift under them taking pictures. Several time I have seen and we even photographed them landing or taking off from a dead limb and it breaking under them. They have to do some fancy flying in those cases to keep from falling. You don't think about things like that happening but if you are out there and watch them enough you will see it. I even saw a dead turkey stuck in a fork in a tall tree in PA while working up there. I don't know if he got spooked and flew off the roost at night and broke his neck or why he misjudged and broke his fool neck.
Howard Green

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #1571 on: November 12, 2019, 04:40:42 PM »
Yes, used the watch the bald eagles steal salmon away from the ospreys down on Hearts Island in the St John river near Fredericton. We used to fish salmon from canvas back canoes, back in the good old days. ;) Grandfather and Arthur 'Art' Eastwood would see who could top the other with a good fishing or hunting story. Come Halloween and those molasses candies come out, grandfather used to give him a bag and watch as he tried chewing with no teeth and the juice running down his face. A couple old poluses.  :D
Move'n on.

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #1572 on: November 23, 2019, 02:44:04 PM »
If you recall, last winter the video I did of the 3 ruffed grouse out behind the house walking ever so carefully under the spruce. Well this fall there have been 4 of them walking up along there almost daily. But today they were darting up along behind one another. They must like brush because that is my snow fence of tree brush in under those big spruce. :D ;D
Move'n on.

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #1573 on: November 24, 2019, 07:42:40 PM »
   I was sitting in my upper shooting house today and got a visit from my 3 neighborhood turkeys and then this pileated woodpecker paid me a nice visit. I love to watch them.

A pair of hairy woodpeckers flew into the shooting house with me but left when they spotted me sitting there. I have several Red-bellied woodpeckers visiting and stealing corn from my feeder. they don't take much and scatter a few extra grains of corn with every visit so I like to see them too.
Howard Green

Offline KEC

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #1574 on: November 24, 2019, 08:14:28 PM »
It's great to watch the birds and critters while on a stand. I was at a spot once where I planned to stand till the end of shooting hours when a Pileated Woodpecker came around acting a little irritated by my presence. It went from tree to tree fussing and I had a hunch that it wanted to enter a tree cavity to go to bed for the night. Sure enough, after a while it went in a hole about 40' up in a Beech tree and looked back out and, apparantly, decided that I was no threat, then went insided and stayed. Stuff most non-hunters will never see.

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #1575 on: November 25, 2019, 04:25:16 AM »
Some of us were hunters and became naturalists and we see it to. Sometimes from the house window or on a walk. :D :D  Case in point, grouse from the window and then a lynx sunning along a south facing snow drift while on a morning walk. ;)
Move'n on.

Offline KEC

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #1576 on: November 26, 2019, 07:26:22 PM »
Swampdonkey, I'd love to come up and see a Lynx or the Goshawks that you mentioned once. I'm more naturalist than hunter these days. I report bird sightings on the computer to Ebird at Cornell University Laboratory of Ornithology. The data goes into a HUGE data base from people all over the world. If you sign up you can view reports to see what birds are being seen in any given area.

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #1577 on: November 27, 2019, 02:54:24 AM »
I'd like to see that goshawk again to, but I have not seen any activity from them lately as I'm not on the woodlot as much right now. It's ideal for them up on the woodlot because of all the corridor hunting they can do down them trails. And their are grouse up there I see almost every time I go. Usually one, sometimes 5 or 6. No driveable roads in there, so they are safe from hunting. :D Been taking it easy on the bones for a bit and just walking the main road for now. Might get up there in the next week, hopefully the 'snow' coming is more rain than ice to make it more pleasurable getting around. We had a little rain shower yesterday and no one mentioned any possibility in their arm swinging and spitting all over the map screen. :D
Move'n on.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
These birds are everywhere around here.

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD on General Board

11 Replies
Last post July 01, 2012, 05:51:10 AM
by SwampDonkey
xx
How are your birds ?

Started by sprucebunny on The Outdoor Board

21 Replies
Last post September 13, 2015, 10:51:14 AM
by sprucebunny