The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Author Topic: BIRDS  (Read 311348 times)

Offline doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
  • Evil Prevails when Good Men Standby and Do Nothing
    • Share Post
Re: BIRDS
« Reply #1660 on: June 29, 2020, 12:47:44 PM »
tried to get a better pic of the oriole nest, but with the zoom on, I can barely find it in the pic.

it is in the far upper right hand corner.

pic from underneath.
timberking B 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor 12 volt tarp motor

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #1661 on: June 29, 2020, 03:32:04 PM »
I think something happened to the female bluebird a couple days ago. I don't think it happened on the nest, whatever happened. Could have been struck by a car, eaten by a raptor or a cat. I see no signs of feathers around the nest box, if a cat got her there is always feathers in my experience. But the male seems to be feeding the youngsters on his own. I can hear the babies in the box when he comes to it.
Move'n on.

Online WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
« Reply #1662 on: June 30, 2020, 02:27:41 PM »
   My son dropped of GD #3 for a few days and we were sitting on the front porch and he saw a big plastic vase on a shelf we have out there. He picked it up and looked in and said "There's a bird nest in it." We checked and there were eggs in it. It appears to be another Carolina wren at work. We put it back and will check it periodically till the babies are hatched and gone.

A couple days ago I spotted a nest in this baby swing on the same shelf a couple feet away. It was empty so I ditched the nest.

My bluebirds left the nest 6 days ago and I have been meaning to remove the nest so hopefully they will rebuild and start another brood but we were watching and the mom keeps going in evidently feeding at least one baby still there. I guess they had a pretty staggered hatch/departure.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #1663 on: June 30, 2020, 03:10:50 PM »
That can happen, but usually she lays all the eggs and then incubates.
Move'n on.

Offline KEC

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #1664 on: June 30, 2020, 03:59:29 PM »
Swamp Donkey, Don't be too quick to believe the female is gone. Though she usually helps feed the young in the box, as time goes by and they leave the box the male assumes most of the duty of feeding the young. I have a pair right now with 5 young in the yard. 

Online WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #1665 on: July 03, 2020, 09:29:24 PM »
   It has been 8 days since the birds left the nest box but the parents keep feeding something in there. I have not opened it to check. I figure there is at least one chick that is not ready to leave the nest yet. I don't know what the politically correct for that is these days. We are seeing bluebirds everywhere and can't tell which is the adult and which are the young ones but they are a blast to watch.

Molly, our 8 y/o gd has been staying with us a few days and today she told Becky about her dad finding the wren nest in the vase so Becky stuck her face up to the opening to check and the mom flew out and nearly hit her in the face and really startled her. Becky and Molly both got a laugh out of that. 
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #1666 on: July 04, 2020, 05:17:59 AM »
The male bluebird is still on his own feeding his babies.
Move'n on.

Offline Walnut Beast

• Share Post
« Reply #1667 on: July 04, 2020, 05:35:16 AM »
still no sign of the mother. Something must have happened like you said. Thats good the dads feeding 

Offline Walnut Beast

• Share Post
« Reply #1668 on: July 04, 2020, 05:49:45 AM »
Had a family of barn swallows nest fall off my building last year with 5 little ones that didnt hardly have feathers. I duct taped there nest back up and put them back in there and they all made it except one when everything fell 16ft on the concrete. There is a new crew of 4 babies up there this year in the duct taped nest

Offline doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #1669 on: July 04, 2020, 04:58:29 PM »
finished another oriole feeder for out past scoutmasters mom.  i think she is in her 70s and still holds women swimming records at KU.  she has been involved in scouting for years.  she got to run my sawmill with my help at the last camp Alaska, and the ERC is from that tree.

timberking B 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor 12 volt tarp motor

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #1670 on: July 04, 2020, 05:09:42 PM »
Nice feeder, and wood burning art. :)
Move'n on.

Online WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #1671 on: July 04, 2020, 07:55:57 PM »
   I'm going to a flea market selling benches and such and advertising sawing and such. I also have made and am trying to sell some bluebird boxes and include pictures of my bluebird family showing that the design works. I made me up a new sign and printed to attach to or near the bluebird nest boxes to see if I can generate more interest and sales of them. It may not be politically correct enough and the flea market people may make me remove it. It reads:

Blue Lives Matter - Buy a nesting box for your neighborhood bluebird today

An imprudent crow lit near our box today and the father bluebird knocked feathers out of him and sent him packing. I'm loving these little guys!

EDIT/Add-on: Well I sold my first 2 bird boxes at the market so maybe my new slogan is working. :D
Howard Green

Offline KEC

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #1672 on: July 07, 2020, 06:41:26 PM »
The bluebirds in the box in my yard are nearly ready to fledge. It's been hot here and I went around and pried the roof boards up on my boxes to get them some ventilation. Many boxes are made too tight and heat is as lethal as cold. WV Sawmiller, you might also be able to interest people in boxes for other birds. Wood Ducks, Screech-Owls, Barn Owls, Crested Flycatchers and others use boxes. 

Online WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #1673 on: July 07, 2020, 07:18:13 PM »
   I did have one lady ask about bat boxes. I've seen designs for them and they look simple to build too. I remember they stressed rough lumber so the bats could get their toenails in it. I might try some of them sometime. Thanks for the suggestion.
Howard Green

Offline btulloh

• Senior Member x2
  • I never met an air conditioner I didn't like
    • Share Post
« Reply #1674 on: July 07, 2020, 07:43:11 PM »
The bat box es Ive seen (only a couple) were made from rough sawn western cedar. They had a flat piece of rat wire on the back. Right on the surface. Not sure if it went all the way to the top. They are dirt simple though. Seems like theyd be pretty popular. 
HM126

Offline Walnut Beast

• Share Post
« Reply #1675 on: July 07, 2020, 09:37:52 PM »

Offline Walnut Beast

• Share Post
« Reply #1676 on: July 07, 2020, 09:39:47 PM »

(Image hidden from quote, click to view.)
5 baby barn swallows getting along just fine in duct tape nest from last year

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
    • Share Post
« Reply #1677 on: July 08, 2020, 05:50:36 AM »
It works!!!
I am trying a thistle sock for the finches for the first time. I put it out and about 15 minutes later a yellow finch was on it. Might have to start keeping that full now. I keep black oil sunflowers year around out for the birds. We enjoy watching them. Orioles are still a coming. Wood peckers are enjoying the suet.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Online WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #1678 on: July 08, 2020, 08:52:16 AM »
   My wife yelled at me to come watch a few minutes ago. A big pileated woodpecker flew in and landed on a dying ash tree about 7-8 ft from the bluebird nest box and the parent bluebirds immediately attacked. He circled the tree several times dodging them, flew to a nearby tree then returned and they both attacked again and he finally gave up and flew off. He would make 8-10 of them but they rule the roost right now. I wish I'd put this box up 30 years ago when we first moved here.
Howard Green

Offline doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #1679 on: July 08, 2020, 09:05:17 AM »
In Kansas, we have the Big Brown Bat.  you can look up the size space they like, and build this into your design.  we made some years ago, but never got them up.  at night we could see what looked like a drunk bird swoop down and get a drink of water from our pool when lit up.  The kids had a "bat phase"  and on vacation we went to the bridge in Austin, and saw the bats there from the bridge and a boat.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Birds with Mom

Started by doctorb on The Outdoor Board

5 Replies
Last post November 22, 2010, 08:59:15 AM
by doctorb
xx
These birds are everywhere around here.

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD on General Board

11 Replies
Last post July 01, 2012, 05:51:10 AM
by SwampDonkey