The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Dynamic Green Products Inc.

Author Topic: BIRDS  (Read 328235 times)

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
Re: BIRDS
« Reply #1760 on: October 09, 2020, 09:40:53 PM »
   We started the day with a couple, maybe more, bluebirds going in and out of the bluebird box they used to raise 2 clutches of 5 eggs each this summer on the pasture fence and overlooking the front yard. We still don't know what they were doing going in and out of the house. Surely it is too late in the year for them to try to build another nest and raise some more. i told my wife I'd have to put a light bulb in it like I did in Sampson's small doghouse to keep him warm. I did not see them going and coming later in the day. Maybe they were just homesick and came back for a visit.

About midday I looked out my window to see a Towhee perched there looking at me about 2' away. I don't know what he was up to.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline KEC

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #1761 on: October 10, 2020, 08:45:34 PM »
WV Sawmiller, Bluebirds occaisionally check out boxes at all times of the year. They will go in boxes to roost at night in the winter. I read once of someone who counted ~24 bluebirds that all went into a box for the night and it was just a standard size box! No need for a heat lamp there. I once discovered a chickadee going into the cross pipe (1 1/2" diameter) of a clothes line pipe. He would curl up inside that pipe and spend the night, safe from those pesky owls.

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #1762 on: October 10, 2020, 10:52:26 PM »
@KEC ,

Thanks for the info. That may be what these were doing although we did see them going in and coming out of the box. I just figured they were homesick.  :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline Ron Scott

• Forester
  • Administrator
    • Share Post
« Reply #1763 on: October 12, 2020, 05:53:18 PM »
Redtailed Hawk also likes the apple tree.

Offline KEC

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #1764 on: October 12, 2020, 08:54:07 PM »
Ron, So one works the night shift and one works days. Just not a safe place for mice and voles and such.

Offline Ianab

• Administrator
  • Marmite on toast is a real breakfast
    • Share Post
« Reply #1765 on: October 13, 2020, 04:27:31 AM »
Local artist has hit a boring concrete wall on the walkway where the while fantail hangs out. 

So even if you don't get to see the bird, that's what it looks like  ;D
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #1766 on: November 22, 2020, 08:20:47 AM »
Grouse feeding in the back yard this morning. A rather plump one to. There are three hanging around, saw all three the other day when carrying ashes out to dump. :)

No amount of belief makes something a fact. James Randi

Offline KEC

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #1767 on: November 22, 2020, 07:20:47 PM »
I used to hunt and eat grouse, but now I just enjoy seeing them. Just to let you guys know, this is a good year for "winter finches", Crossbills, Pine Siskins, Pine Grossbeaks and Evening Grossbeaks. Keep your feeders stocked with sunflower seed. So far this fall I had a single Pine Siskin a couple of times.

Offline Onthesauk

• Senior Member x2
  • Still learning!
    • Share Post
« Reply #1768 on: November 22, 2020, 08:08:15 PM »
When my daisies died back this fall the pine siskins  were all over them for several weeks, maybe a couple dozen at a time.
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Dont attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #1769 on: November 23, 2020, 05:00:03 AM »
We get a lot of juncos and goldfinch here in the weeds. We have only a small number of evening grosbeaks that eat seeds of the boxelders. Bluejays are always present, looking for a free lunch. They love peanuts by the way, they will have them all before a squirrel even knows they are there. :D

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #1770 on: November 30, 2020, 09:17:22 PM »
   I thought my eastern bluebirds had migrated south for the winter but I sat in my lower shooting house today from about 1:00 pm till dark. Almost as soon as I got there I spotted eastern bluebirds getting the corn off the spinner of my deer feeder. For every grain of corn they took off the feeder they would knock 10-20 off on to the ground below. I assume these are the ones that raised here at the house since I was probably only 500-600 yards away. That brought back memories of when they did not want me near their house, even though I had built and provided it to them. Here they were eating food I had provided and wasting most of it. I remembered how they would attack and crap all over me but were now dependent on me and no doubt I will have to house them and their offspring next year too and it suddenly dawned on me - they must think I am the Federal Government. :D  (Sorry - the devil made me say that. ::))

Two in the frame - sometimes there would be 5-6. Just right of 6:00 and about 10:00 in the frame.  

Underneath the feeder picking up some they had already knocked out  

Raiding the spinner on my feeder. I wonder how often they are there when it goes off? I watched at my 4:00 feeding and a red-bellied woodpecker had just left about 30 seconds earlier.
Howard Green

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #1771 on: December 01, 2020, 05:09:44 AM »
They seem to return to the nest site when on migration. They do here, but it was earlier in the fall.

I had to chase off a hairy woodpecker the other day, he was trying to make a nest box hole larger. :D

Offline doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
  • Evil Prevails when Good Men Standby and Do Nothing
    • Share Post
« Reply #1772 on: December 01, 2020, 08:10:14 AM »

timberking B 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor 12 volt tarp motor

Offline Chuck White

• Senior Member x2
  • Sawing Mobile since 2005
    • Share Post
« Reply #1773 on: December 01, 2020, 08:54:54 AM »
Believe it or not, we are still seeing Eastern Bluebirds here!

There was a bunch of them that left about a month ago, but now there's another "smaller" bunch of them here!
~Chuck~
Retired USAF 1989, Retired School Bus Driver 2012, now semi-retired Mobile Sawyer, 2018 Silverado 4X4
1995 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG25 Kohler - Cooks Cat Claw Sharpener and single-tooth setter, 4-foot Logrite cant hook.
Basic mechanical skills are all that's required to maintain a Wood-Mizer

Offline KEC

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #1774 on: December 01, 2020, 10:29:38 PM »
I'm in Southern Onondaga County, NY and I have been seeing bluebirds year round for years. Oftentimes I will hear them flying overhead. In winter they feed a lot on berries and Staghorn Sumac seeds. Watch the big clumps of sumac with the red seed clusters. WV Sawmiller, the birds in your photos are titmice. Nobody told some of the birds that they have to go South. Today I counted 59 Turkey Vultures in the trees by the Jamesville Post Office (near Syracuse).

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #1775 on: December 02, 2020, 08:33:56 AM »
   I may have been watching the screen vs the birds and got the wrong ones when I snapped as it was a cloudy day and poor visibility and the birds were constantly going and coming. I know some of the birds I was seeing were bluebirds. There were also nuthatches which have some blue but are about half the size of the bluebirds and often walk upside down on the trees. I saw the bluebirds chase some of them off. I also have several species of woodpeckers coming including red-bellied, downy, and hairy and yes, we have titmice or is that titmouses? Occasionally a cardinal or blue jay come. The most problems are the dove and turkeys who wipe out the corn on the ground in short order.
Howard Green

Offline KEC

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #1776 on: December 02, 2020, 10:52:28 PM »
I know what you mean about birds moving about and trying to sort them out or get a good photo. Today I had a bunch of chickadees and nuthatches (red and white-breasted) making a fuss by one of my Screech-Owl boxes. One Red-breasted Nuthatch stood right in the entry hole of the box and peered inside.  As expected, at dusk a red morph Screech-Owl appeared at the hole. Most around here are gray morph. I enjoy your posts, WV Sawmiller.

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #1777 on: December 03, 2020, 04:29:17 PM »
One spring I thought I was seeing a flock of bluebirds out in the maple woods. Come to find out they were northern parula on there way north to the coniferous forest to nest in old man's beard moss. They are a slate blue with yellow chest. Never seen them before or took notice until then. :) They actually are smaller than bluebirds as it turns out. I knew very little about bluebirds back then as they were never here in this area.

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #1778 on: December 05, 2020, 10:57:44 AM »
Out for a stroll in the yard again. He's under the beech.

Offline KEC

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #1779 on: December 05, 2020, 06:24:49 PM »
It's been quite a while since I've had a grouse come around near the house. I drove around a high rent housing developement today as many of these places have planted River Birch and crabapple trees, which attract birds. Saw 3 bluebirds eating crabapples and several robins. Was hoping for redpolls and maybe Pine Grossbeak.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Birds with Mom

Started by doctorb on The Outdoor Board

5 Replies
Last post November 22, 2010, 08:59:15 AM
by doctorb
xx
These birds are everywhere around here.

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD on General Board

11 Replies
Last post July 01, 2012, 05:51:10 AM
by SwampDonkey