iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

BIRDS

Started by Bro. Noble, December 16, 2004, 10:19:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

I've not noticed any that similar myself. Have you listened to the sounds files on All About Birds?
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WhitePineJunky

Quote from: SwampDonkey on May 21, 2024, 02:14:39 PMI've not noticed any that similar myself. Have you listened to the sounds files on All About Birds?
Il find the particular sound later. Either way really glad to have the swallows around this year!

aigheadish

Did I mention the Mockingbird? I think I put a photo in above. It likes to hang out on this corner a lot.

20240509_160658.jpg
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

aigheadish

I just saw a dogfight of 3 goldfinches literally screaming, like bottle rockets, across the yard. Never seen it before. 
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

WhitePineJunky

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Tree_Swallow/sounds#:~:text=Tree%20Swallow%20songs%20are%20high,Both%20males%20and%20females%20sing.
The April 16,2009 call recorded in New York, not all of it but the gurgle sound in that clip is what I have heard very similar from the chickadees
Does it 2-3 seconds into the clip

SwampDonkey

Sounds like a tree swallow to me. Never heard a black capped chickadee make that sound here. Maybe you have a different species chickadee?

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WhitePineJunky

Quote from: SwampDonkey on May 23, 2024, 02:19:49 PMSounds like a tree swallow to me. Never heard a black capped chickadee make that sound here. Maybe you have a different species chickadee?
Black capped chickadees. Not the Carolina chickadees we don't have them here

WhitePineJunky

Tree swallows made a nest in the nestbox 

SwampDonkey

The tree swallows have been busy here at the nest box, they are up in the air long before daylight swoop-de-swooing.  ffcheesy

I have 4 adult bats back in the barn eve for the summer.

thecfarm

Whippoorwill is just a singing out there tonight!!!!
He went for at least a minute and stopped and started back up again. Been at it for 5 minutes now.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

thecfarm

Still going!!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WhitePineJunky

Never heard or seen one of those here before, not that much further north though, maybe they're around. They remind me of the hermit thrush beautiful sound to hear around dusk in the forest, sun trickling down through canopy etc 

SwampDonkey

Whippoorwill's are way north of you WPJ, they were always in the rock bluffs and pines at my grandfathers fishing camps at the mouth of the Tobique river. I've never heard one myself. Mom has. They are in central and northern NS as well according to maps.

However, this morning I did here a night hawk screeching for a few seconds in the darkness, but that was all. They are very similar to whippoorwills. He wasn't making diving noises that I could here though.

Never heard tell of a bluebird around here until recent years. In fact no one ever mentioned them. Same with Turkey vultures, never had them either until maybe 15 years ago. I think they were an infrequent site in southern NB. Some people down that way seemed to be quite familiar with them. I only saw them in Virginia 23 years ago. Now turkeys (not the vulture) everywhere. :D

WhitePineJunky

Here's a better photo 

WhitePineJunky

I always find it funny when I'm back in the woods and hear a grouse in the distance. Always sounds like a lawn mower starting up 😆 

sprucebunny

A Noise woke me up at 3:30 AM. Happened 3 more times before flying off:

Sounded like " uuu ack ack a-uuu"  Uuu is close to a 'who' noise...

I've never had good luck finding birdcalls online but a Utube of 'Different Owl sounds ' or something like that has a barred owl making those noises but with different accents and order so that's what I'm calling it !

Lots of new and different bird sounds this spring but I am terrible at remembering calls. 
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

thecfarm

I just came in from working outside and went to get the dog pillow at the front door.
The whippoorwill was sounding off again.

I was coming home and rounded the corner and there was 4 geese and goslings. There was 2 full grown ones in front and about 8 goslings in the middle and 2 full grown ones bringing up the rear. I had to slow down and let them cross.

SwampDonkey

Been a couple crazy ducks here flying past the dormer window the last few days. Sometimes one at a time or both. No ponds near here, maybe 1/2 mile or more from the ridge.  Seen them in old corn stubble a couple times. Saw the neighbors bale corn stubble this spring from last year's crop, never asked what anyone does with old, dry, hard corn stubble.  ffcheesy ffcheesy ffcheesy

WV Sawmiller

Donkey,

Maybe those crazy ducks hatched during a severe drought and never learned to swim. We've had fish do that that were nearly grown before they learned to swim. ffcheesy
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

KEC

The crazy ducks may have been Wood Ducks or Common Mergansers looking for a nest site. When I did wildlife control work I removed several hen Wood Ducks and one hen Common Merganser from chimneys. They go in (chimneys resemble hollow trees) but can't get out. Luckily all seemed to be OK. I released them nearby where there was water and invariably they flew off and out of sight.

thecfarm

I heard the whippoorwill again last night.

Thank You Sponsors!