The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Author Topic: Anybody selling crib blocks?  (Read 2467 times)

Offline paul case

• Senior Member x2
  • Original wearer of the PCM.
    • Share Post
Re: Anybody selling crib blocks?
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2017, 10:18:45 PM »
I just got a call today from a repeat customer that moves some big equipment. Seems this time it is some oil field equipment and they need 4- 18''x18''-8'. I just happen to have some logs that will make those so I quoted them at $175 each. I wouldnt attempt then without a good loader or forklift.

That is gona be Dakota and Paul's Saturday morning!

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Offline 4x4American

• Senior Member x2
  • Team red, white, blue and orange
    • Share Post
    • Website Link
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2017, 10:21:14 PM »
Dang that's cheap...I'd be at a buck fifty/bf for that.  Them are some big doggone timbers
Boy, back in my day..

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2017, 11:03:46 PM »
4x4,

I'd say that was very reasonable but key notes were it was a repeat customer, long lengths and I did not see species mentioned. I assume it took about a 24" SE log to produce something like that. I also find most customers are pretty tolerant about a little wane of something of that nature, not that Paul would produce or sell such.

I found a local CL ad wanting crib blocks. He wanted oak but I responded and offered ash and he agreed. I offered to cut whatever size he wanted and show him how the mill operated. He came down with his 11 y/o foster child and I had an 8' log about 12" SE ready to demo. We talked and I cut it mostly in 2X8 and he bought the whole log right off the mill as he said he needed the 4/4 side lumber for shims and such and was thrilled at the process and being able to show his son.  It was a fun quick demo and I think he will be back.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline 4x4American

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Website Link
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2017, 11:20:13 PM »
Different areas too.  Big hardwoods aren't easy to come by around here..plus NY is prolly more expensive in every aspect.  And hey whats wrong with wayne hes a good enough guy just a little rough around the edges thats all
Boy, back in my day..

Offline paul case

• Senior Member x2
  • Original wearer of the PCM.
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2017, 11:38:41 PM »
4x4,

I'd say that was very reasonable but key notes were it was a repeat customer, long lengths and I did not see species mentioned. I assume it took about a 24" SE log to produce something like that. I also find most customers are pretty tolerant about a little wane of something of that nature, not that Paul would produce or sell such.

I found a local CL ad wanting crib blocks. I think he will be back.
Indeed it was a several times repeat customer that is generally promp to pick up when I get them cut out. I absolutely will sell a little wane on these as the 18'' tall and tough is the big thing. He told me that a 12'' solid face would work fine and the logs are 20 to 22''  so ther will be some bark. If it had to be shorts or no bark $1 bdft for sure.
Different areas too.  Big hardwoods aren't easy to come by around here..plus NY is prolly more expensive in every aspect.  And hey whats wrong with wayne hes a good enough guy just a little rough around the edges thats all
Oak is not hard to come by here and these will be post oak that cost me $.35 bdft doyle. Pine however I cannot seem to find. I have had feelers out looking for a gooseneck load I could pick up somewhere but nothing. I need them to cut out some 1x2 strips for 2 local Baptist disaster relief groups to use for tarp hold down strips on houses with roof damage. I do this at no charge and usually stuff that only costs me shows up fast and long, but I have been looking since February and found nothing. :-\

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Offline Ron Wenrich

• Forester
  • Administrator
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2017, 06:39:26 AM »
We always cut our cribbing from the low grade from the center of the log.  We looked at what our alternate market was.  For a 6x6, we would be thinking RR tie, and use that as our base price.  We didn't cut them up, and the price was $.50/bf picked up.  We also cut 5x6x8 used for cribbing under houses when they moved them.  Price was $.50/bf for those.

The best price I got for 4x4 was a specialty item.  They wanted 4x4 clear, quartersawn white oak delivered to NYC.  Price was $4/bf.  They cut it into chocks for RR cars.  We also let them air dry, so there was some extra handling.

We used to cut bridge timbers for Koppers.  When they needed them, they would pay dearly for a 10x17x15.  Those were $1.50/bf.  But, you left a lot of grade on the piece, and you needed good timber.  That market fell apart and we hadn't cut a bridge in 15 yrs. 

The biggest piece of blocking I cut was a 20x20x10 chestnut oak.  We cut 10 of those and delivered them to a NJ band sawyer who wanted to cut 4 10x10s out of each one.  No wane.  We priced them out at a good price.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Offline 4x4American

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Website Link
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2017, 06:54:25 AM »
Yup.  If they gave me a big order thats one thing, but when people want a few pieces, I charge more of a retail price.  I can't give pine away around here...its crazy
Boy, back in my day..

Offline moodnacreek

• Senior Member x2
  • Sawin by the notches
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2017, 05:50:47 PM »
Used to get  $1  inch for 12x12 but now that nobody can run a chain saw I have to c.t.l. and strap on pallet. I charge $1.35 mixed hard wood to big for our firewood processor, For 8x8 $1 bd. ft.  6x6 $.80   Most goes out at 2 foot. If I had a big cut off line it would be easy but the chain sawing and lifting makes me earn it.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Lumber (crib)

Started by 69bronco on Drying and Processing

0 Replies
Last post July 12, 2017, 07:52:31 PM
by 69bronco
xx
Quick question on crib construction

Started by CX3 on Timber Framing/Log construction

5 Replies
Last post October 21, 2010, 11:05:31 PM
by jander3