iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Still making benches

Started by WV Sawmiller, August 20, 2017, 08:11:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Polish Hammer1

Wv 

Where do you get them medal wedges I've looked and just can't seem to find them in bulk and one question is cedar an option to use for legs or not the best

WV Sawmiller

Sorry I missed this yesterday. It was a long day. PM sent with source. Good luck.

I see no problem with using cedar as long as you use good quality leg stock.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

WV Sawmiller

IMG_4014~1.JPG

I went ahead and cut and installed the legs on these 2 bench tops for my mystery wood like the one I left at Jakes. I had my friend do the Fractal Burning on them while I was on my trip and I am real well pleased with his work. The general opinion is it is butternut although we did not discuss Sassafras. It does not have that root beer smell so I am still inclined to believe butternut.

I had to load the mill up for a mobile job tomorrow so I went ahead and installed and cut these 2 to length on the mill.

Doc,

What was that technique you showed us at Jakes to sand or cut off one leg to make sure the bench sits level. Oh, wait a minute, I just checked. I won't need to use that after all. ffcheesy

(I don't know why the image doesn't show up bigger)
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Old Greenhorn

Howard, looks like you have 2 copies of that photo in your gallery. I copied out the [normal] code for one of them>

I had seen these when you (and others) had talked about them in the past, but since I had no interest in terminating the misery that it my life, decided against trying it myself. However, at Sunday's show there was a fella I know through my previous FD teaching work that has just started doing this and he had some examples. His woodworking is in very early stages so the finishing is not great, but his stuff look good. He also does not (I think) have a reliable source for wood. We didn't get into details (we both had booths too far apart), but on reflection I think I am going to make him an offer of wood in return for his burning work and some of my slab benches. Or I can prep some slabs for him to make and sell on his own. Some things I would rather have a local source for rather than do it myself.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

doc henderson

I like the way he hangs them on the wall. ffcheesy ffcheesy .
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Old Greenhorn

Well, I know Howard doesn't "do" epoxy, so it must be gorilla glue?
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Magicman

Not glue, maybe snake spit.  ffsmiley
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: doc henderson on May 21, 2024, 02:00:07 PMI like the way he hangs them on the wall. ffcheesy ffcheesy .
??????

If I did hang one on the wall I can assure you all 4 feet would hit at the same time! :wink_2:

The guy only charged me $10 to do these 2 which I told him I thought was underpriced and offered to pay more but he would not take it.

Tom,

Thanks for the help on the picture.
Howard Green

doc henderson

they look great.  Maybe take out a life insurance policy ffcheesy , although he has made it a long time.  
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Thank You Sponsors!