iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bandsaw blade for hickory

Started by carykong, August 23, 2017, 11:55:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cutterboy

Quote from: Kbeitz on August 25, 2017, 08:16:54 PM
Quote from: cutterboy on August 25, 2017, 06:54:33 PM
I saw hickory (and every thing else) with 10 degree blades. Never used anything else. It is slow going and the blades dull faster than in other kinds of wood but I don't have any major problems with it. I have a 13hp engine so I don't know if it could handle 4degree blades. I do saw them green, I log the trees myself. I love the look of the lumber so I think it's worth the extra effort.

I think you got it backwards. 4deg is for lower Hp.

Sometimes it seems like my life has been one step backwards after another. :-[ :D  However, from what I've read, lower deg needs higher horsepower. But then, maybe I'm reading things backward. smiley_book2_page smiley_dizzy
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

grouch

My 7HP engine is happier with 4 degree blades than the 10 degree that came with the mill.
Find something to do that interests you.

drobertson

This in my mind was a earlier postulation formed by in my mind folks that had an idea on hook angles and such. As the industry grew, and the need for speed picked up, more aggressive back reliefs and larger gullets were spawned.  I've bit into some pretty good tasting chunks of steak, only to realize I should have taken a smaller bite.  Tough stuff takes more time and chewing,, this is a slower pace of course.. yea I know weird analogy,,I'm weird,,since I cant saw anymore I cook and eat a lot,, getting to understand my late brother Kev's point of view,, "I'm Fat, and I'm happy!"
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Bruno of NH

My 13hp mill cuts good with 7's but the best all around band for me is a Kasco 4
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Peter Drouin

Shagbark  Hickory can be a challenge at times. I don't cut it often.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

PA_Walnut

Great ideas and experiences here. I have been cutting some from a few trees I had to drop. No problem here, but I have HP to throw at it.

I'm capitalizing on opportunity and making smoker wood (as suggested here) from the smaller logs and limbs. It makes excellent BBQ wood and pretty little sawn pieces bring the $$ from Urban Hipsters with wool caps and large beards.  8)
I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

killamplanes

Here there's alot of shagbark hickory. Sawing it without being debarked is a real pain. 4-8in long pieces of bark get thrown at the blade guide the whole time band is in the wood. And depending on your luck how many lodge between blade and guide. Seldom popping the blade of , but just riding there until band quits turning and usually the piece of barks falls of by gravity alone. And my blower sounds like I'm feeding rocks through it the whole time cutting shagbark...  and cutting thin pallet stock lumber out of it. It needs to be nailed down pretty quickly or it twist and bends to the point of no return.  I can go on and on about my love of this species. But the tree rats sure like the nuts and making a home in it.
jd440 skidder, western star w/grapple,tk B-20 hyd, electric, stihl660,and 2X661. and other support Equipment, pallet manufacturing line

sawdusty1

I have completely sworn off hickory.
Woodmizer LT15
Husqvarna 550xp
Husqvarna 372xp
Husqvarna 350
Husqvarna 55 Rancher
Husqvarna 181se
Kubota L4701

PA_Walnut

Always makes me happy to take away joy from tree rats. They are the most belligerent, nasty animals around here!  :snowball:
I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

Thank You Sponsors!