iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

View from your deer stand.

Started by Bogue Chitto, December 20, 2017, 10:21:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

We are not allowed to take a doe in the U.P. or I surely would.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Texas Ranger

Quote from: Jeff on November 20, 2018, 07:39:18 AM
We are not allowed to take a doe in the U.P. or I surely would.

We have an over population of does, but hunters would rather hunt "the big buck" than manage the herd.  Managed lands show a higher proportion of trophy bucks than the rest, and they kill does.  One local club has some 7000 acres under game management, they have a longer season, and are required to kill 90 does and 20 some odd bucks, even knowing  they are managing the herd, the number of does killed is a pressing issue towards the end of the season.  Horns make thin soup.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Jeff

Our DNR uses wolves now to manage the deer numbers I must pay to hunt. The wolves can kill as many as they want.

DPatton

Quote from: Texas Ranger on November 20, 2018, 09:40:24 AMHorns make thin soup.
:) :) :) Great quote T.R.
 I have never heard it put that way before.
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

DPatton

Quote from: Jeff on November 20, 2018, 01:47:54 PM
Our DNR uses wolves now to manage the deer numbers I must pay to hunt. The wolves can kill as many as they want.
So do they issue any wolf tags for the hunters?
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

D & S Sawmill Services

Jeff

goose63

Quote from: Jeff on November 20, 2018, 02:07:29 PM
Wolves are protected.
Hrer in N.D. we say shoot shovel and shut up  fudd-smiley fudd-smiley fudd-smiley fudd-smiley
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

WV Sawmiller

Are you having any problems with Chronic wasting disease in the deer herds in ND?
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

goose63

Sawmiller out in unit 3F2 SW of Bismarck thy have it. You get a deer there the head stays there so it can be sent to Mich. for testing and you have to bone out the deer to bring it home.

Would I of known that I would not of got a tag out there I was after a big Mule deer buck but no luck  
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Jeff

Came up early. Chilled to the bone. -3°

The blind is in the background.

Magicman

:o  I'd prolly hafta wear long underwear in weather like that.  Don't know, don't have any.  ::)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

mike_belben

Theres nothing you can do to stay warm in below zero short of standing next to the stove.  
Praise The Lord

Jeff

This morning I was wearing 2 pair of socks, underwear, long underwear top and bottom, camo cargo pants, insulated bibs, flannel shirt, insulated zippered hoody, insulated hunting coat, forestry forum hat covered with a knit hat/face mask, with a hood up and it still wasnt enough for sitting still. The wind is 10-15 with gusts to 25. I ain't going back out until an hour and a have before dark, as I'm sure that's all I can take. It's about a quarter mile walk to my blind.

Shotgun

Do ya have your hunter orange long johns on?   ???
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

Jeff

WV Sawmiller

Did not take a picture but used my climbing stand on the back corner of my property this morning. Left the house at 5:45, road ATV as far as I could then walked a quarter mile or so mostly up hill in the dark, got to the tree at 6:22 and got through and strapped in about 25' high in a red oak by 6:35. Stayed till about 9:00 without seeing anything except a couple of squirrels, several pileated and red-bellied woodpeckers and several warblers or such. One of them tried twice to light on my rifle barrel less than a foot from my face but could not get a good grip and lit on the tree next to me instead. When the wind got high and the tree trimmers about a half mile below opened up their chipper I got down and stalked an hour or so. I had let a little button buck go yesterday. Everything is legal for us right now. It was in high 20's when I got up there and high this afternoon was to be about 45.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

mike_belben

The milwaukee heated jackets are great for extending your pain tolerance.  I wish they made socks too.  
Praise The Lord

Dave Shepard

When it gets that cold, I like to wear a house. A bit heavy, but it's got heat,  internet, and a refrigerator.    ;D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Jeff

I'm going out in the morning as long as I dont freeze to death tonight.

Dave Shepard

Good luck! We're going to have a low of 8 tonight. A bit early for it,  if you ask me. I've always figured things freeze up right around Thanksgiving. I just didn't realize Thanksgiving was here already.  :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Chuck White

In weather like that, we need to splurge and get one of those "Heater Body Suits" that they talk about on the hunting channels on TV!

Carry it out in a backpack, get in your shack and get in it!

Supposed to have a really good warranty too!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

DPatton

Jeff,

It was -2 this past Sunday morning at my house when I returned from duck hunting. Ive never seen it this cold in November.

D & S Sawmill Services

Chuck White

I've got this feeling that the snow we have NOW will be the last snow to go in the Spring!

Yes, I feel it's here for the duration!     :snowball:     :new_year:
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Ron Scott

~Ron

FLPINERAT

Thank You Sponsors!