The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Dynamic Green Products Inc.

Author Topic: View from your deer stand.  (Read 10560 times)

Online WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
Re: View from your deer stand.
« Reply #160 on: November 16, 2020, 09:48:29 AM »
@mike_belben ,

That big rock in your picture reminds me of the outcropping under my first shooting house. It is a 6'X8' building on the side of a steep hill. I built it with 3 locust poles in the ground and one short post resting directly on the top of the rock. I enter from the uphill side and just built a 2' wide ramp, sort of like a wheelchair ramp, made using a couple of treated 2X6X10's with half inch plywood on top. My rock has a straight front instead of recessed like yours and is about 8' from exposed base to the top.

Here is an old picture showing part of my rock. This was after a big basswood fell and almost took out my deer blind and it did break off a small buckeye which did minor damage and force me to repair/re-do roof.

Here is the ramp and the basswood in the background.

The poles look like they could have been a little bigger but they are holding. We have killed 20-25 deer in and around this location and most after we built this shooting house. The latest was a nice doe 17 October during a special antlerless season.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #161 on: November 16, 2020, 10:00:02 AM »
Thats pretty sweet bub.  Someday i would really like to have a little sleep shack with a good clear view of the bush edge thats too far from home for me to be lazy about it.  

I was just whining to the wife yesterday how i can lure deer to our [tiny] place without baiting every night but never in the day.. and how its hard to compete with all the corn piles and flood lights the meth heads are getting em with after dark.   So a little doe bobbles right by us across the burned down vacant house lot next door,  mid day out the window while we are eating lunch as if to thumb its nose at me and rub a little salt in my wound.    :D
Revelation 3:20

Online WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #162 on: November 16, 2020, 10:43:06 AM »
Mike,

I have never tried sleeping in this one although it is big enough - really too big for a deer blind. All windows are open and big for bow hunting. It is only a few hundred yards from my nice warm bed in my house so no reason to rough it up there. 

This is a 4X4 deer blind I built and we installed at the customer site. It is placed right at the edge of the woodline and an old field. it had a nice deer trail right past it. The customer sent me this picture a week after we put it up. He killed this little buck with his crossbow. Actually the 4X4 building is a little small for a deer blind IMHO. I like my 6X6 blind up on poles about 10' high overlooking the point where 2 draws converge, a 60 yard wide bench on the back and an oak line ridge 100 yards away. The prefabbed components for a 6X6 structure are too heavy for me to carry and move. I may build just the framing for one some time and add the flooring and siding on site. Also on my next one the windows may be 6" peepholes instead of completely clear. Just raise the window and shoot when you see one coming.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline Walnut Beast

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #163 on: November 16, 2020, 10:47:53 AM »
Nice bucks👍. Ravin crossbows are pretty sweet. If Santa brings you one you wont be disappointed 😂. I got one and its pretty neat

Offline Walnut Beast

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #164 on: November 16, 2020, 10:52:00 AM »
@mike_belben ,

That big rock in your picture reminds me of the outcropping under my first shooting house. It is a 6'X8' building on the side of a steep hill. I built it with 3 locust poles in the ground and one short post resting directly on the top of the rock. I enter from the uphill side and just built a 2' wide ramp, sort of like a wheelchair ramp, made using a couple of treated 2X6X10's with half inch plywood on top. My rock has a straight front instead of recessed like yours and is about 8' from exposed base to the top.

(Image hidden from quote, click to view.)
 Here is an old picture showing part of my rock. This was after a big basswood fell and almost took out my deer blind and it did break off a small buckeye which did minor damage and force me to repair/re-do roof.
 Here is the ramp and the basswood in the background.

The poles look like they could have been a little bigger but they are holding. We have killed 20-25 deer in and around this location and most after we built this shooting house. The latest was a nice doe 17 October during a special antlerless season.
Really blends in with the surrounding nice

Offline Walnut Beast

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #165 on: November 16, 2020, 11:11:54 AM »
This first shot is a view from one of the 10 stands on our lease. The 5th pic is another. The rest are bucks caught on camera. I was going to buy a raven cross bow (can't pull a regular bow), but my wife hinted santa might be bringing me one, so I didn't go bow hunting. Season opens this coming saturday.

Good luck 🍀 on getting one of them 🦌

Offline stavebuyer

• Share Post
« Reply #166 on: November 18, 2020, 02:30:16 PM »
This from a camera on the corner of the 12x24 yard barn I am converting into a camp. No need for a stand I can  just watch out the window and feed the woodstove  8).

Online WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #167 on: November 18, 2020, 02:41:20 PM »
Stavey,

Your shop comment reminded me of my son's best friends grandpa who used to shoot them out of his shop. He even cut a V into a 1X4 or such and nailed it up as a rest for his rifle. He was a retired coal miner and had Black Lung and was on O2. He had big tank of O2 with a long hose to a mask he wore in his shop. One day a nice buck showed up in the field and he grabbed his rifle and was getting ready to shoot. I guess when he opened the window the wind blew the internal door shut crimping his air line and he was turning blue so he was torn between whether to go ahead and shoot the deer or go open the door. I think he held his breath and shot the deer first. A man has to keep his priorities straight.
Howard Green

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #168 on: November 18, 2020, 04:09:25 PM »
  just watch out the window and feed the woodstove  8).

thats where I'm hoping to end up.  im into deer for the cost.  spending 2 months freezing in a tree will buy a lot of better meat. 
now if i could come up with a way to bury a freezer, put a green tarp and a corn pile on top and not catch all the possums and coons .... 

Online SawyerTed

• Senior Member x2
  • Summey Lumber Services, LLC
    • Share Post
« Reply #169 on: November 19, 2020, 08:50:58 PM »

My view from one of my stands.
<
br>

This rub is in the lower left of the view from that stand.

The one in the middle came from that stand on opening day of black powder season.  The others were harvested on our farm by other hunters that morning.
Woodmizer LT35HD25, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Ram 3500 6.7 Cummins

Offline Walnut Beast

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #170 on: November 19, 2020, 11:13:39 PM »
Very nice 👍

Offline trapper

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #171 on: November 21, 2020, 01:49:54 PM »
Had good  luck the last 2 years.  Grandson got 1 in youth season from it. Dosen't look good now as farmer that rents from me has the field worked up now

stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Online randy d

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #172 on: November 21, 2020, 07:53:07 PM »
To day is the opening of our deer gun season I shot a fork horn at noon and my son shot a seven pointer this after noon so we are done. But now comes the hard part my wife and daughter in law will be cutting and packaging both deer tomorrow.   Randy

Offline Walnut Beast

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #173 on: November 21, 2020, 07:59:45 PM »
Congratulations👍. Well it sounds pretty easy for you guys if the gals got to do all that 😂. Most gals would be like your dreaming 😂

Online randy d

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #174 on: November 21, 2020, 09:47:32 PM »
My mother would cut up our deer at home she showed my wife how to cut up venison and my wife showed our daughter-in-law how to do it. They would never trust any one with our deer meat. We eat a lot of venison and we cut and package the way we like it. Randy

Offline trapper

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #175 on: November 21, 2020, 09:49:45 PM »
got a doe in the plowed field in previous post.  guess there were a few cobs of corn that didnt get plowed under.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Online SawyerTed

• Senior Member x2
  • Summey Lumber Services, LLC
    • Share Post
« Reply #176 on: November 22, 2020, 03:43:21 PM »
This is the view from my newest shooting house.  This is a 4x8 box made entirely of lumber off my sawmill except the posts.  My neighbor and good friend did most of the siding horizontally before I got there to help.  I would have preferred board and batten. This one sits on the spine of a narrow ridge.  The hollows on either side are 120 deep.   The second photo shows the view into one.   

This pine thicket was once a tobacco field.  Its hard to see but about a quarter of the pines are white pines I planted after we bought this property in 1986.

My father in law used to say, This land isnt good for much else but holding the rest of the world together.  Its held this familys world together for close to 200 years. 

My buddy thinks he needs to caulk the cracks lol lol
Woodmizer LT35HD25, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Ram 3500 6.7 Cummins

Offline Walnut Beast

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #177 on: November 22, 2020, 03:55:33 PM »
Condo city. I would be sleeping and the deer 🦌 would be walking by 😂

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #178 on: November 22, 2020, 09:29:28 PM »
Heck yeah that is the ticket.  

There is a steep finger ridge out over a swamp about 3/4 to a mile back out yonder from me but all the neighbors got permanent stands on it elbow to elbow.  Theyre pals until hunting season then get crabby with each other.. so i steer clear of that ridge!    :D

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
deer stand

Started by trapper on General Board

2 Replies
Last post August 12, 2018, 11:28:06 PM
by Southside
xx
Deer Stand Woes plus Fix

Started by Magicman on The Outdoor Board

7 Replies
Last post September 10, 2015, 09:48:42 PM
by Magicman