The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Dynamic Green Products Inc.

Author Topic: Please help me learn what to look for on used Prentice 120  (Read 2694 times)

Offline barbender

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
Re: Please help me learn what to look for on used Prentice 120
« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2017, 02:45:22 PM »
I agree the log loader will work dandy in a log yard, but you don't want to drive it right next to your basement or you'll be caving a wall in.
Too many irons in the fire

Offline snowstorm

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2017, 07:49:22 PM »
The loader in your last picture is a 110.

Offline Don P

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Calculator Index
« Reply #22 on: December 25, 2017, 09:59:36 PM »
I have an old FOBC. Totally worn out. I have set pole barn trusses with it but that is really pushing it. It would be fine for setting logs if you can get close enough, they are pretty limited on reach. They work best right off the back which requires some room for the truck. We were using it to maneuver 30' logs for flattening Appalachian style logs this past year and I creased the seat more than once trying to work off the side. The old 25P Parker Gresen valves are out of production and unsupported as far as I can tell, if anyone knows of a parts source for them I'd be interested. Pick up and maneuver some 30' logs, that is pushing it on this loader.  Swing to the side and watch how far out you can go, pay attention to your outriggers, are they solid or do they yield under that load. Does pinch hold on the grapple. How much slop is in the turret? Look for cracks around the mounts and braces and in the grapple, around the pins, at stress areas. Check the oil for milk or trash. I'd rather have a telehandler for what you are doing but I doubt you'll find one running anywhere close to that price.

A laborer works with his hands
A craftsman uses his brain and his hands
An artist uses his brain, his hands, and his heart

Offline MbfVA

• Share Post
    • Tanglewood Ordinary Country Restaurant
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2017, 12:23:33 AM »
 How about a utility crane truck used for setting poles?  I've seen those things selling in the $7-$10K range, and newer than the one this guy is looking at.  Several tons of max lift capacity, and usually 45-50 ft max reach.

Most have pincer like grapples for holding utility poles, which should work great for setting vertical posts.  Some can accept pin on buckets, making them even more useful.   So-called "digger derrick" trucks even have post hole diggers.   Most that I have seen can utilize rigging rope (similar to climbing rope), making the hard to handle wire rope unnecessary.

You can find them on eBay, and at local auctions, by the dozen.  Play around with the bed, take off some of the toolboxes, and you can probably carry logs. 

I want one that is four-wheel-drive, given the topo of our land.  And with a dump body.

I've been in touch with the tooth fairy.

Offline badger1

• 715 transplant to the Twin Cities
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2017, 09:21:26 AM »
Thanks for the crane idea, Ive considered it, but again I dont want to get into a situation where I have an expensive piece of equipment with costly repairs that I am unfamiliar with. I think the route I'll end up going (as of now) will be an older tractor with a loader attachment. This should allow me to lift the 1300lb logs approx 8-9' to the top of the wall, if I need more height I can weld an attachment/boom to the forks or bucket.

They can be had for relatively cheap, theyre fairly simple and easier for me to work on.

I want enough equipment to do what I need to do but nothing more, also something that I can resell later if I want easily. I think the tractor is the best route there assuming its powered adequately. Thats the direction Im leaning as of now. Thanks for all the input from everyone.
Contact me via PM, willing to help with projects for more experience

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
GMC 10 wheeler log truck with Prentice Loader IH with Prentice for sale

Started by stamper on For Sale

7 Replies
Last post September 26, 2013, 07:08:26 PM
by jmouton
xx
Never too old to learn

Started by pineywoods on Chainsaws

4 Replies
Last post December 19, 2006, 12:40:42 AM
by pineywoods