The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Dynamic Green Products Inc.

Author Topic: Daily Fabrication Thread  (Read 56264 times)

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
Re: Daily Fabrication Thread
« Reply #480 on: December 30, 2020, 02:11:52 PM »
Nice job on the log catchers. 
Revelation 3:20

Offline mjeselskis

• Share Post
« Reply #481 on: December 30, 2020, 02:15:24 PM »
The service manual is on the short list of things to order
2006 WM LT28  1993 John Deere 5300
Husqvarna 562XP & 365 X-Torq

Offline Crusarius

• Senior Member x2
  • Lost in....
    • Share Post
    • RockModified.com
« Reply #482 on: December 30, 2020, 04:12:13 PM »
Curious to know how you like having the lights there. I definitely need better lights on mine.

Offline mjeselskis

• Share Post
« Reply #483 on: December 30, 2020, 04:45:36 PM »
Curious to know how you like having the lights there. I definitely need better lights on mine.
So far, so good. I haven't hit my head on them yet. Two forward, two back. I think the rear ones will be good for snowblowing and backhoe work. The front factory headlights are bright enough, but always blocked by the bucket or cross tube. I may aim the front ones down a little so I can see behind/under the bucket for the few times I'm moving dirt after dark.

Offline Crusarius

• Senior Member x2
  • Lost in....
    • Share Post
    • RockModified.com
« Reply #484 on: December 30, 2020, 07:30:12 PM »
I always seem to finish that last log that should only take 5 minutes up about an hour into dark :)

Sure I am not the only one.

Offline mjeselskis

• Share Post
« Reply #485 on: December 30, 2020, 07:52:24 PM »
I always seem to finish that last log that should only take 5 minutes up about an hour into dark :)

Sure I am not the only one.
Nope, certainly not the only one. It's time to quit when it's dark enough that you can see the sparks clearly when you saw into a rock.  

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
    • Share Post
« Reply #486 on: December 30, 2020, 08:00:44 PM »
Nice size tractor you have there.
I like the lights too. Been thinking the same thing,2 up high, like you did and than 2 more that point down towards the ground in front. Probably only one that points towards the back. But I have a head lamp that really gets the light where I need it.  ;)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline Crusarius

• Senior Member x2
  • Lost in....
    • Share Post
    • RockModified.com
« Reply #487 on: December 30, 2020, 08:12:36 PM »
I thought alot about putting some on the loader arms at the bend. Inside of course. I was just concerned I would get to much glare off of the hood.

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #488 on: December 30, 2020, 08:51:57 PM »
Ive bought a few ebay chicom LED multi light combo kits over the years.  Say a 18 bar and 4 small utility lights for $50 shipped.. That sorta thing.  All my junk has those and none have ever failed surprisingly. 

Offline Crusarius

• Senior Member x2
  • Lost in....
    • Share Post
    • RockModified.com
« Reply #489 on: December 30, 2020, 09:09:31 PM »
I found a dual 20" spot/flood package for $20 on amazon. I also got a bunch of 4" and all sorts of other random ones. All still going strong.

I have wanted some nice LED floodlights around my house for quite a while. I dunno if anyone has priced out the cost of 110v LED floodlights lately. But last time I looked a nice fixture was $130+. 

I picked up those 20" lightbars and wired them up to a PC power supply I had laying around. So now I have LED floodlights all over the house. Super simple, cost $20. I can easily light up across the yard and to the other side of my pond. That is not a small feat.

Offline Ed_K

• Senior Member x2
  • Leave it better than you found it. Ed_K
    • Share Post
« Reply #490 on: December 31, 2020, 07:35:31 AM »
 Bought two 6" led lights on amazon and mounted them from the roof in the center front an back. I also got a west coast mirror and hung it sideways from the front inside center so I can see where I'm going backwards, I can't bend my neck enough to be able to look back. I have bumped the mirror getting on but it's easy to reach and reset.

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #491 on: January 11, 2021, 07:12:38 PM »
So id bought a $20 shipped knockoff pruner attachment based on a single vague picture.. Almost just to see what it even was honestly.. I partly expected a toy or a single piece of it.  I could not have known It had a 7 spline european drive gear and 26mm pole which wont fit my square drive 1" unit.  I couldnt find a trace of 7spline to square adapter whatsoever.  

I whipped this up out of all sort of junk.  NPT threaded water pipe into the gear box after i tapped it.  A piece of pole from a trampoline safety fence that had a neckdown that slid over the 1" shaft and adapted via welder to the water pipe.  The drive shaft is a piece of steel 1/4" rod i cut out from a cable raceway assembly.  I welded a blob on the end and turned that into splines.  The female square drive i made from welding 4pcs of keystock onto the round shaft.   And it actually worked really good but started to twist the splines. 

Back to the drawing board i guess. Handy to be able to cut limbs 15ft up from the ground. 

Offline dougtrr2

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #492 on: January 13, 2021, 07:54:29 AM »
The log catcher looks like a good idea.  Any "breakaway" provisions for the exhaust stack?  
Although if a log hits it, it will breakaway, just maybe not where you would like.

Doug in SW IA

Offline Dom

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #493 on: January 13, 2021, 08:12:15 AM »
So id bought a $20 shipped knockoff pruner attachment based on a single vague picture.. Almost just to see what it even was honestly.. I partly expected a toy or a single piece of it.  I could not have known It had a 7 spline european drive gear and 26mm pole which wont fit my square drive 1" unit.  I couldnt find a trace of 7spline to square adapter whatsoever.  

At $20, it was worth a try.  smiley_thumbsup Curious if you come up with another solution. I've been tempted to buy one for our echo, but they are expensive. 

Offline mjeselskis

• Share Post
« Reply #494 on: January 13, 2021, 10:21:06 AM »
The log catcher looks like a good idea.  Any "breakaway" provisions for the exhaust stack?  
Although if a log hits it, it will breakaway, just maybe not where you would like.

Doug in SW IA
No exhaust breakaway yet. I may build a new exhaust pipe that angles back and shoots up to the roof, but haven't decided yet. 

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #495 on: January 13, 2021, 11:09:51 AM »
At $20, it was worth a try.  smiley_thumbsup Curious if you come up with another solution. I've been tempted to buy one for our echo, but they are expensive.
pull your echo head off and measure the shaft and count the spline.  i think echo may use a 7 spline.  there is also 9 spline and obviously square drive.  if you've got a 26mm shaft then there are all 3 available. for knockoffs theres a square drive 26mm pruner head for under $60 i have saved somewhere.  an NPT tap goes right in for it to thread to water pipe.  
i haven't solved the issue yet.  I'm thinking a piece of drill rod thats fat enough to bring down to the finished spline without any welding there.  then grinding in flats to weld on the square drive end again.  not having any issues at the bottom, just the top. its on the back burner until the piece of material lands in my lap or someone hires me for a job that will just pay for the OEM still attachment.  for now its just a personal use tool i need once or twice a year maybe.    

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #496 on: January 13, 2021, 11:11:39 AM »
actually maybe rebar will work.  the shaft i made flexes all over inside the pipe and it was very crooked when i started so it don't need to be perfect. it'd be fine by my standards if the splines weren't twisting off.  

Offline Edvantage

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #497 on: January 26, 2021, 07:44:31 PM »
My almost free snowblower setup. The three point blower was given to me. I had an extra quick attach plate hanging around. I called a hydraulic supplier to size a motor to run off the bobcat auxilliary hydraulics. Turns out the exact motor was kicking around in my asst junk. The only purchased items where a couple of quick connects, lovejoy coupling, and a check valve. Best of all my 16 yr old welded it up and made it go. Wish I had this year's ago. Everyone said a low Flo machine wouldn't work for a snowblower. I guess they where wrong this thing is awesome. Finally got a little snow to give it a good test

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #498 on: January 26, 2021, 08:06:01 PM »
Atta boy, love it. 

👍

Offline mjeselskis

• Share Post
« Reply #499 on: February 01, 2021, 11:17:23 AM »
I got this contraption for nothing. Apparently it's made to drag into a row of round bales and wrap them for the winter. From what I gather, it wasn't pleasant to use, so it got tossed in the bushes. I'm planning to strip it down,  narrow up the frame rails to 34", and make it into an off road log trailer. The frame rails are 12 ft long now, so I'll add a tongue to it and keep the 12 ft deck. I'm going to build a walking beam for it. It also had a pile of extra square and round tube sitting in it that will come in handy

The stub axles that are on it now are 1 3/4". They are stamped 3000. I'm wondering if they are strong enough for carrying a load of logs, or worse yet, if I add a dump body and subframe to it from a one ton like I'm hoping. If it's really a 3,000lb axle and hub, I should be fine.

Wishing for a plasma cutter right now.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Daily carnage thread

Started by mike_belben on Forestry and Logging

337 Replies
Last post Today at 10:06:57 AM
by barbender
xx
BANDSAW SHINGLE ATTACHMENT FABRICATION

Started by Polly on Sawmills and Milling

6 Replies
Last post December 21, 2006, 08:43:31 PM
by Polly
xx
Whats best for cutting steel for fabrication

Started by chainsaw_louie on General Board

17 Replies
Last post February 08, 2006, 06:28:45 PM
by barbender
xx
2011 Pig Roast Thread (now the RSVP Thread Please let us know if you might come)

Started by Jeff on General Board

242 Replies
Last post May 29, 2012, 10:47:47 AM
by Jeff