iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Good threads on milling?

Started by Matt Agee, February 22, 2018, 07:02:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt Agee

I'm looking for some links to threads that have good info. on milling logs according to the pith, knots, ect.   I had found one a while back that was most helpful but I seem to have lost it.  Thanks for your help.

thecfarm

Good morning Matt Agee,welcome to the forum.
Whatcha get for a mill? 
Been sawing long? ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SawyerTed

Welcome to the forum.  I'm no expert but I'm learning fast by knowing why I'm sawing a log a particular way and evaluating the results.  If the results aren't what I expected, I try to figure out why.  The wood will tell you if you look carefully.  

I've looked for some of what you are looking for and most is imbedded in threads on other topics. 

Searches here and on the web for plain sawing, rift sawing and quarter sawing will give you some useful information as well as studying lumber grading.  These helped me.
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

paul case

Whatcha Sawin' ??? in Sawmills and Milling

This thread has a lot of info and should be some real good reading on how to saw almost anything including watermelon. Lots of pictures too.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

firefighter ontheside

Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

WV Sawmiller

I'd go to Mr. Tom's site and read what he wrote on sawing techniques. He's well written and full of common sense. He died back in 2011 but his website is still operational below.

Tom's Saw, Mobile Sawmilling Service
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

terrifictimbersllc

Some people have gone back to the beginning of FF and started there.  Not sure if they finished though. 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

WV Sawmiller

TT,

Yes. I did. I ordered my mill in October for January delivery, found this site a little later and read from start to finish. Got many good points on business cards with log scale on back, contracts, how to saw logs with sweep, and everything in between. Then I found the food thread and found there were folks who actually do not like grits.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on February 22, 2018, 09:04:20 AMfolks who actually do not like grits.

I have heard some maintain a public appearance that is different from their private one.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

kelLOGg

Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Matt Agee!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

samandothers

Welcome Matt! 

Where are you located?

starmac

Yep, while waiting on my mill, I read the whole site from start to finish, took a couple of months almost full time. 

If you are after dimensional lumber, magic Man has some interesting threads, I can't tell you how to find them though.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Matt Agee

Quote from: thecfarm on February 22, 2018, 07:05:25 AM
Good morning Matt Agee,welcome to the forum.
Whatcha get for a mill?
Been sawing long? ;D
Just got a new Woodmizer LT35 Hyd.  I have put about 15-20 hours on it so far.  I'm very green.  Thanks

clintnelms

Just got a new Woodmizer LT35 Hyd.  I have put about 15-20 hours on it so far.  I'm very green.  Thanks
[/quote]

Oh you ! I'm jealous lol. Congrats!

Scottasheppard

Welcome to the forum I'm a newbie too.. I went And sat through a sawmill sawn and business siminar with a Goat yesterday   .. didn't cost me nothin but a $100 order of pine... lol 

Aka Porkie

Roxie

Hey.  We know that guy.  Was he wearing a skirt? 
Say when

Scottasheppard

Quote from: Roxie on February 27, 2018, 07:40:43 AM
Hey.  We know that guy.  Was he wearing a skirt?
:D I know nothing... :P
Aka Porkie

Matt Agee

Quote from: firefighter ontheside on February 22, 2018, 08:43:45 AM
This is a good one.

http://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=99660.0
This is the one I was searching for.  I wish I could find some good videos but most are geared toward the product Vs. how to actually run a portable mill.  Thanks for sharing the link.

Thank You Sponsors!