iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

LT35 Tough getting Head Started Forward

Started by Rhodemont, October 21, 2019, 01:56:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhodemont

I have always had to give the head a little shove to get started.  Little bit of sawdust on the rail where wipes stop on return seems to be the issue but no problem.  This weekend it started getting more noticeable and then for the first foot or two before engaging the log I had to apply some hand pressure before it would start moving along steady.  Was milling EWP which is new to me so figured was getting saw dust /sap on things and gumming up.   Kept cleaning drive chain and rail and adjusted the wipes and soaked pad with ATF and still a sluggish start.  But discovered if I went forward and inch or two then backed up and started again it would take off smooth.  Not sue what is causing this. Could it have something to due with drive chain tension?
Woodmizer LT35HD    JD4720 with Norse350 winch
Stihl 362, 039, Echo CS-2511T,  CS-361P and now a CSA 300 C-O

Southside

How many hours on your mill? Sounds like a cam follower has given up the ghost. Most of the time it's the bottom one that goes first.
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Rhodemont

Southside

Disconnect the drive motor, if you have the new style just remove the belt, if it's the old style the motor will come off the gearbox easily enough, 2 bolts that go through the motor end cap. The push it by hand, if it fetches up it's a roller, if not, it's in the motor or gear. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

WV Sawmiller

Yes, disconnect the power feed and see if the head rolls freely. It could just be a loose power feed belt and tightening or replacing it could fix the problem.

If the head does not roll it is a good chance it is a cam follower bearing and most likely the bottom one which gets the most wear and tear. If it is be sure to read this thread http://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=106133.80 . WARNING - the bottom cam follower bearing holds the mill on the rails and when removed only gravity is holding it up! Be sure to keep the head low and secure the head with a heavy chain to something real sturdy before removing the bearing. Watching your mill head fall off the rails is a very traumatic experience! The next time I disconnect/remove my feed chain I will do so from the tail end of the mill so I do not have to feed it as far over the sprocket and rollers. 

Good luck.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Chuck White

Good Point WV Sawmiller, this Winter I will be changing all six of the cam-followers on my mill.

I remember the incident you spoke of, and it wouldn't be a good feeling!

I have a 6x6 overhead beam in my garage and the sawhead will be anchored to it when the change is in progress!

Of course, any time you're working on the mill and the sawhead is raised, for safety sake, chain it!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

WV Sawmiller

Chuck,

I think there is a difference in the design between my LT35 and your LT40. I think you may have 2 cam followers on the bottom so you can replace one at a time and not have your mill totally at risk like on mine. I'd check well in advance. Securing it to an overhead beam sure can't hurt in any case. The shaft on the bearing has a hex head you can loosen while holding the nut on the back. I did not try it but I bet an impact wrench might be a handy tool to remove them.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Chuck White

Yes, the 40 has 2 mast posts and there are 2 followers on the top rail and 1 follower on the bottom rail on each of the mast posts!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

terrifictimbersllc

Take the cover off of the power feed belt and watch what happens.  You'll get to the bottom of it soon enough. 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Rhodemont

This weekend I will look it over and see what I can find.l

Stephen

Check the drive belt tension first. sometimes the variable speed pod fails.
1994 WoodMizer LT40G18. 69 acres mixed wood. 1952 ford tractor, Norse 290 winch, studed Norse ice chains. 45-66DT Fiat.

millwright

If you have the old style with the gearbox, check to make sure that the speed control knob has not loosened up

Rhodemont

I have a lot of checking to do!
It is 2016 with simple set.  I did pull the handle off the simple set speed control potentiometer.  Did not put it back on exactly the same at first.  What a mess that was.  So used to glancing down and turning it to a particular point for the speed I am looking for.  Could not deal with it, had to take it off and get it exactly where it had always been.

millwright

Mine has loosened up a couple times, so when I turn the knob it's not moving the shaft

Rhodemont

Took a bit longer than I had hoped but finally got a chance to go over the mill top to bottom.  It is running just fine now. What I found was everything was gummed up with hardened build up from that EWP.  I looked over all the cams and drives and guides and belts and ended cleaning everything up with pinesol and some fine scotch brite.  Put new blade belts and tensioned the drive. I do use ATF regularly but not on everything I cleaned.  Milled a couple white oak logs and was back to normal. 

WV Sawmiller

Thanks for the follow up. I have also used WD 40 to cut the resin build up from sawing fresh green pine. It can really build up in a hurry and make a real mess. 
Howard Green

Thank You Sponsors!