iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Self Releasing Snatch Block Options

Started by ickirby, September 09, 2010, 04:21:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ickirby

Ok forestry forum goers, I'm reaching out to your extensive knowledge again.

I'm on the hunt for some 'true' self releasing snatch blocks for medium duty applications (skidding with a 3pth mounted skidding winch) not manually opening blocks or slide blocks .  Can anyone add to my list of manufacturers?

These are the only two that I can find that have any kind of information on the net:

-Farmi TP14 Self Releasing Snatch Block

-Labonville Self Releasing 4" Snatch block, which can been viewed in action here.

A potential alternative might be the Self Releasing Snatch Block from www.nobleforestry.com but I'm leary about the lack of information available (we'll see how my information request to them is handled) and the lack of a "release mechanism" that holds the cable in place until the slider reaches it.  If anyone has experience with this snatch block I'd love to hear from you.

The only other self releasing snatch block that I can even find is from www.novajack.com and can bee seen here.  But it is for lighter duty applications (ATV with rope mainline) than I'm looking for.

Interestingly I have found a decent set of plans from the Ontario Woodlot Owners Association for building one, in a featured article on their website.  Just for reference I was quoted by a local machine shop $204.16/unit for that design.

Any advice or feedback about any or all of the above mentioned items is appreciated.  Also if anyone has any suggestions about alternatives to these please add them.

Stephen Alford

Hey Ickirby ; the one I have used for 20 years is a Farmi, looks alot like the TP14 you mentioned. I prefer to anchor it with a chain chocker with a piece of truck mudflap (to protect the tree if it is a saver).  There are pics in my gallery.  Works great in select cuts  and on building lots.  Showing up with the right gear goes along way in building landowner confidence.   The only other observation would be that  you have to be careful onlookers do not place themselves in harms way. Be safe.  :)
logon

John Mc

I bought one from Labonville several years ago (before the increase in steel prices drove the price up). I believe it's made by Norse, and sold by Labonville, so there may be other sources of it, though prices are probably similar. I've been very happy with it, and would be out in the woods with a winch without one... it's a real time-saver. Solid, well made, works well.

At first, I was using a chain to attach it to the tree, with a piece of thick carpet under the chain to protect the tree. I've since switched to using a nylon (?) sling, with a working load rating significantly more pounds than my winch can pull.

John Mc
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

TessiersFarm

I too have had the labonville snatchblock for several years and use a nylon sling to anchor with, wouldn't leave home without it.
Stihl E14, 180, 026, 036, 361, 045
Husky 266, 372, 394
Dolmar 111

ickirby

Thanks for the reply's.

I don't think I could go wrong with either the Labonville or the Farmi units.  They both seem very well built and appreciated by their respective owners.

I'd still be interested in hearing for anyone who knows other sources or who has any advice on these before I pull the trigger and spend $500 - $600 on two.

Thank you again Stephen, John and TessierFarms for your advice. 

neslrite

Ingland winch make a nice HD self release block, Carl Neutzel Services on the right has them in stock.

I think they are less money than the Farmi.

Kevin
rule#1 nobody ever puts just one nail in a tree  LogRite Tools  www.logrite.com

snoble

I am the owner of Noble Forestry.  The snatch blocks we built were an attempt to create a more affordable option.  The prototypes we generated work very well.  The reason I built them without a "release mechanism" (actually a retention mechanism) is that I have used snatch blocks with and without them and found that I prefer the blocks without.

By the way I did a very poor job of handling ickirby's information request, and it was kind of him not to malign me here.  Thanks.

ickirby

Let me start by saying, welcome to the Forestry Forum Scott.  I hope you find it useful and stick around, you could be an excellent contributor to the wealth of information already available here.

Quote from: snoble on April 20, 2011, 11:52:25 PM
By the way I did a very poor job of handling ickirby's information request, and it was kind of him not to malign me here.  Thanks.

It wasn't that bad, don't be hard on yourself.  There is no reason to malign anyone on here that just takes away from the usefulness of this very informative site.  Selling snatch blocks is not the main part of your small business, I could see why it would take a little time for a response to a request like mine.  

I'll be in touch with you again in the coming weeks about a log bucking course that we are hoping to have up here in Manitoba later this year.  Similar to the HVIP workshops you have some experience with.

Back on track:

I decided on a pair of the Farmi TP14 Self Releasing Snatch Blocks mentioned earlier and after a good winters worth of skidding by several individuals using cable skidders and tractors these have performed very well.  They are well worth the investment in my mind.  According to my calculations I figure they they pay for themselves after about their 5th or 6th absolute essential use.  They are very handy to use and you will find when you have them you will use them at times when you could maybe get away without them but, for those times they allow you to do things that you would otherwise be unable to or be bucking logs in bush, the old adage stands true;  "There is just no replacement for, the right tool for the job" and this appears to be the right tool for this job.

Also, they were heavier duty than I expected them to be, never having seen one in person prior to purchasing them.  The strongest pull I witnessed them endure (totally damage free I might add) was quite a bit more then I ever thought they'd be able to handle, I'm very pleased with them so far.

Jeff

We have a new sponsor coming on in the not to distant future, who is also a forum member that is building self releasing snatch blocks at his machine shop. Stay tuned!
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Thank You Sponsors!