iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cabin Addition

Started by Magicman, December 21, 2010, 10:37:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

I spent the entire day behind the truck windshield.   Hooked the trailer up and drove to the Cabin, loaded my Ash and SYP lumber and then drove to my planer, T&G, and sander man.  I left the trailer loaded with lumber there and then back home.  218 miles which is no record, but it surely is good knowing that I will have the Ash lumber for my flooring and ceiling plus SYP for that final wall.  It should be ready for pickup late this week or early next week.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

mesquite buckeye

Should be really nice. ;D
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Magicman

Thanks, I am looking forward to getting this project behind me.   I will gather the rest of my plumbing supplies today so that I can maybe finish the water supply as well as the sewer/drain when I go back.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on May 05, 2015, 06:26:02 AM
Thanks, I am looking forward to getting this project behind me. 

You'll never quit and you know it! You're like the rest of us, its in our blood and as long as you see a tree and have a mill....you will keep adding on.  :D :D :D :D :D :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

You know very well that I have a log cabin bunk house half built in my mind.  That plus I have plenty of timbers available and ready for me.  The only problem  is the "me".   :-\

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on May 05, 2015, 09:50:53 PM
You know very well that I have a log cabin bunk house half built in my mind.  That plus I have plenty of timbers available and ready for me.  The only problem  is the "me".   :-\

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Hmmmmm.....

Cabin raisin' sounds like a good activity to keep visitors busy at the next Chick'n Krispin'

Just thinkin' there...

Herb

Magicman

The planer guy called.  My lumber has all been planed and T&G.  Tomorrow AM he will do the relief thingy on the backside of the flooring and sand it.  It should be ready for pickup by midday.  My plan is to have it stacked inside of the Cabin tomorrow evening. 

Lawg Dawg

Puttin down flooring, sounds like your getting close!
2018  LT 40 Wide 999cc, 2019 t595 Bobcat track loader,
John Deere 4000, 2016 F150, Husky 268, 394xp, Shindiawa 591, 2 Railroad jacks, and a comealong. Woodmaster Planer, and a Skilsaw, bunch of Phillips head screwdrivers, and a pair of pliers!

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

Magicman

That is my plan.  I unloaded all of my sawmilling tools, tool box, and whatever else off of my truck this afternoon.  I have no intentions of doing any sawing for hopefully a month. 

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: Magicman on May 07, 2015, 08:08:18 PM
The planer guy called.  My lumber has all been planed and T&G.  Tomorrow AM he will do the relief thingy on the backside of the flooring and sand it.  It should be ready for pickup by midday.  My plan is to have it stacked inside of the Cabin tomorrow evening.

Sounds faster than how I did it. :( :'( :'( :'(
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Magicman

I send this guy much kiln and milling business.  Matter of fact, he is the only one that I will recommend.  I had talked with him several weeks ago and he worked in a time for doing my lumber.  No favors, I expect to pay the full going rate for the work.....plus a tip.

Peter Drouin

Quote from: Magicman on May 07, 2015, 10:33:51 PM
I send this guy much kiln and milling business.  Matter of face, he is the only one that I will recommend.  I had talked with him several weeks ago and he worked in a time for doing my lumber.  No favors, I expect to pay the full going rate for the work.....plus a tip.

I know how you feel about recommending someone for anything.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

dablack

Quote from: Magicman on May 07, 2015, 09:17:35 PM
That is my plan.  I unloaded all of my sawmilling tools, tool box, and whatever else off of my truck this afternoon.  I have no intentions of doing any sawing for hopefully a month.

OH NO!  I have some sweetgums that I wanted to turn into a spiral staircase!  After that I have some pecan I wanted milled....   :D

Sounds like you are making real progress!  I can't remember, will the floor be pine or somethin' else?
Building my own house in East TX

Magicman

Austin, you shoulda told me.  Of course if you wanted a Sweetgum Spiral Staircase, it would be self twisting.   ;D

I got the call from the milling guy about 10:00AM, and it was off to the races.  223 miles round trip to pick the lumber up and haul it to the Cabin.

345bf of 1X6 & 1X8 Ash flooring.

I believe that it will turn out very nicely.

But for now it is stacked under the bed and everywhere else I could find an empty spot.

And 132bf of T&G 1X12 Pine for wall paneling.

My plans are to be at the Cabin most of next week.  Wall paneling first, spackle and paint the ceiling, plumbing, and then hopefully flooring.

Andy White

Lynn,
I love it when a plan comes together! That Ash is some fine looking stuff. The cabin is sure going to be fine when you finish with it. Do we ever really  get to "finish" anything? My project after Austin's cabinets, is to close in the back porch for a " Nancy " room. We may be able to schedule a visit before I start all that. Stay safe, and keep up the good work.    Andy
Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

Ljohnsaw

MM,
Watch out for those boards sticking out everywhere!  We don't want to see some toe pictures again... ;)
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Magicman

I don't even want to think about tripping because it probably would be my noggin instead of a toe.  :o  :-X

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on May 08, 2015, 10:17:36 PM
I don't even want to think about tripping because it probably would be my noggin instead of a toe.  :o  :-X

You trip'in aight.  :D :D :D :D

Bruno of NH

Great looking flooring MM !!
Jim/Bruno
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

redbeard

Thats going to be a mighty fine floor!
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

Magicman

The Ash flooring is down.  I went to the Cabin Monday and finished laying the flooring today.

Even in the ½ bath.

I will be sanding tomorrow/Saturday, and hopefully will stain a test piece to see how it will look.

I even found time to finish the window.  It is cased with Pine and faced with Cypress.  I also got the West wall paneled with 1X12 T&G Pine.  Horizontal for wainscoting and then vertical to give the 7' walls some appearance of "height".  No chair rails on any walls yet.

The lumber "stash" tried to disappear.  I had hoped that I would have enough Ash to cover the "new" ceiling, but it looks doubtful.  I'll have to measure/scale to see.  If not, I will just paint and be satisfied.

beenthere

You outdid yourself again. smiley_thumbsup

Looking very good.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Andy White

Lynn,
Outstanding job on the floors. Beautiful grain in that Ash. Every thing looks great. Are you ready for your next project? I remember an old saying about "idle hands" I love to watch your progress, Being there once makes it all look better . Great work.     Andy
Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

grweldon

The floors are beautiful!  Nice place Lynn!
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

Thank You Sponsors!