iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

We were logging today.

Started by Jeff, September 11, 2005, 09:12:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Tammy and I have been working on a project and we needed some more logs and the logger I was getting logs from has had a major break down so we have been out.  So, yesterday and today we took matters into our own hands and went out to Tammy's brothers place to get some red pine. We used Bobby's ford for a skidder. (He is NUTS)  Tammy was choker setter. As the family invalid, my job was to stay out of the way and run the winch on our trailer to load. I was also the safety inspector for this job. Pay no attention to skidding with chains. Here are a few pictures of how we spent the day. Its was hot. Low 90's here. Unreal for going into mid September.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

chet

I wanna see a closer look at dat dar fender yur winchin' over.  ;D
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Furby

Yeah, me thinking he needs to do the telephone pole trick........easy to unload too! ;D

farmerdoug

Jeff,

That looks like a great situation for a Ford truck commercial.  You should have taken a video of the truck/skidder for a deal on a Ford commercial.  :P I know a guy that works his garden with his truck every year.  I really think he would be nuts if he plowed it with the truck also. ;D

Farmerdoug
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

Tom

Wow!   That looks like a lot of fun.  Just a load.  Not enough make you holler uncle.

You'll enjoy the fresh pine. Wear old clothes.  :D

Jeff

We bent the fender back up to clear the tires O.K.  :)

Tom

Furby

Until next time  eh? ;D
Just remember, when they break off, reinstall them so they are removeable. ;)

Those are some fine red pine to!
No rot problems at the butt?

Jeff

The fender? I suppose it smells O.K., but the pine smelled a little better until we mixed it with the gas fumes to get all the pitch off of us when we got home.

I am looking forward to sawing more of the pine. We brought home a load yesterday. Sawed half with the saw still messed up. It was work. We sawed the other half this morning after we changed the carb. What a pleasure. We sawed and edged a couple 8ft and a 12, all in less then 20 minutes. We were spending at least that on one small log previously.

Furby, these logs are solid and HEAVY. Just before dark I went out and took a couple sample measurements. About 10-12 growth rings per inch. No rot whatsoever. THe fenders came welded on the trailer.

Furby

Yes I'm sure they did come welded on, but after they break off, make some mods! ;)

10-12 rings per inch is not bad at all! The ones I've cut up were mostly around a 1/4" per ring, give or take a bit.
One day I hope to get one on the mill and see how they cut! ::)

Jeff

Haul yer mill over. I could use some help that can swing a hammer too.  ;) :)

chet

If yur log haulin' trailer ain't got beat up fenders, you ain't been haulin' many logs.  :D
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Jeff

Mine is looking real good.  8) Tammy was horrified I was "letting" the fenders get beat up. 

Simmer down honey, its O.K.  :D

Furby

Things are getting busier by the minute.........but I'd love to!
Think it would be more fun on your mill anyways.

Chet, it don't take many, first log I had put on my big trailer broke a side of the fender loose.  ;D

I think Jeff has been broken in well! :D

Jeff

THis doesnt show a lot, but a little, It wasnt pretty.  :D

Furby

:D :D :D :D :D
Poor Tammy!
:D :D :D :D :D

Jeff

Chet told me on the phone I should have brought a couple wood blocks. DUH! I dont know why I never thought of that. I could have blocked off a log as well.

Furby

Don't worry, you'll think of it next time..........after you get on site and need them! ;) ;D

Jeff

I'lll come up with something that either I carry all the time, or incorporate into the trailer.

Jeff

Notice I am using my wood-mizer ramps.  :)

Tipped over.

Corley5

:) 8) ;D :D  Them little red pines saw nice on a circle mill ;D  Lotsa purty smellin sawdust  :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Kevin

What would you be building Jeff?

chet

Quote from: Jeff B on September 11, 2005, 10:21:58 PM
THis doesnt show a lot, but a little, It wasnt pretty. :D

But it was effective  :D  :D

Furby

Something like this really does work and you can get two layers of the size logs you have.
Real easy to unload too!

I plan to rebuild and use cants with a piece knocked out for the ramps and a couple lags through the deck.

Jeff

We are building a shed/poolhouse/guesthouse/doghouse.   Its going to be a storage shed for the winter until we can get our barn/garage built hopefully this next year. Then its going to be a nice little just out the back door get away.

This is how it stands right now, as we ran out of materials for framing until we got these logs this weekend. The beam sticking out is framing for the cantelevered roof where there will be a loft.

Thank You Sponsors!