iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Handy things around the mill

Started by Bibbyman, July 01, 2001, 12:41:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pineywoods

Breathes there a bandmiller who has never needed to back the blade out of a cut?? Like when you hit nails, or heaven forbid, the backstop or log clamp? Cutting the slab or flitch off with a chainsaw sorta works but can get messy. For sumpthing so simple, this handy tool makes it fairly easy to back the blade out of the cut. Just a piece of an old blade with a handle attached. Shove it through the kerf behind the blade and rake the sawdust out of the kerf. Using a wedge to open the kerf a little helps. Note the direction of the teeth. it cuts on the pull stroke.

1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

zopi

Neat...could do the same thing..old section of blade in a homemade bowsaw frame...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Dan_Shade

yep, I carry one of them around with me, they are handy when the kerf is full of dust and you need to back out
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Chuck White

Wouldn't that tool also work as a hookaroon?  Maybe it would work better to move small stuff, with most of the teeth removed.
Use it with small stuff, for the big stuff, use the real thing!

How did you make the holes through it to attach the handle, carbide bit?
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Tom

I used to keep pieces of broken blade on my truck for just such purposes.  I didn't take the time to put a handle on them, just had a place where I threw pieces 8" to 10".  They don't take much room that way.

I did put holes in old pieces of bands when makeing  knives.  They weren't pretty knives, just used for filleting, boning, skinning and such.  The preferred tool was a side grinder.  I would grind a spot until it was mostly through and turned blue on the other side.  Then I would turn it over and grind the blue spot.  Even if the hole never made it all the way through, the metal would become soft enough that I could drive a nail through it or drill it.  My handles were just nails driven through the wood and the metal and bradded on the other side of the handle like a rivet.  A small ball peen hammer makes them look pretty good.

I also got tired of ruining my pocket knife to clean a running blade.  I know it isn't the safest thing to do, but I did it.   I started making little knives (scrapers) with long handles so that I could reach the running band from the back side, away from the teeth, and scrape off pine resin that had built up.  Sometimes the running water lube needed some help.  It makes it a safer procedure when the blade is in a log and you are scraping the short side of the band, and you are accessing it from the operators side of the head.

pineywoods

Quote from: Chuck White on January 09, 2009, 12:02:01 PM

How did you make the holes through it to attach the handle, carbide bit?

I drilled the holes using a drill press and one of them super-duper bad dog bits..Cut a bandsaw blade like butter. The handle is a chunk of ash I turned on the lathe. Got tired of tearing up my hands trying to use just a hunk of broken blade.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

logwalker

You could chuck up a 20 penny nail in a drill press and use friction to anneal the metal in that spot. Spin it fast enough and it will go right through. Joe
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

Dan_Shade

I think I just drilled it  ???  I may have clamped it between two peices of wood, I dont'remember
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

LeeB

I've made a coule of knives from broken blades. I just drilled them on a drill press. no special bit to my recollect.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

backwoods sawyer

What length is that? 24'
To long and it can be awkward to get in around the head. To short and you would have to try to come in from the backside and it could be too tight to get right up behind the saw.

Tom. Glad to hear I am not the only one that has worn out knives cleaning the blade from the backside. Just keep the tip out of the gullet and it works better then any other way I have found to get the pitch build up off the saw. For cleaning the wheels, it is best to do it with the band removed.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Chuck White

I wouldn't be surprised that most of us have cleaned a blade with a knife while the mill is running!
Myself, once in a while I'll clean one with a putty knife.
You do have to stay on your toes while doing this, because disaster "could" strike in an instant!
I think I may make myself a longer "blade scraper" out of a broken band!

I thought that the blades were "high carbon" and would require a special hard bit to drill through them.
But, now I know, thanks!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Papa1stuff

I never clean a blade when its running !
My Father-In-Law lost an arm on a circle mill because someone started the mill without sounding the alarm, so never clean a moving blade ,it is not worth the time saved ,You can't grow another hand or arm >:(
1987 PB Grader with forks added to bucket
2--2008 455 Rancher Husky
WM CBN Sharpener & Setter

Bibbyman

Quote from: Papa1stuff on January 10, 2009, 11:56:06 AM
I never clean a blade when its running !
My Father-In-Law lost an arm on a circle mill because someone started the mill without sounding the alarm, so never clean a moving blade ,it is not worth the time saved ,You can't grow another hand or arm >:(

As Buckwheat said, "Me too neither!" 

Just yesterday I did a stupid thing.  We broke a blade and started to change it.  Like often happens, the idle wheel was still spinning.  It had run down quite a bit but I was in a hurry to get it to stop so I put the palm of my hand on the hub to break it.  For some dumb reason,  I let my fingers pull in a little and they caught the spokes of the wheel.  They didn't' get tangled in but it bumped them up pretty hard.  Gave me a "hurts donut", don't you know.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

DR Buck

QuoteI also got tired of ruining my pocket knife to clean a running blade.  I know it isn't the safest thing to do, but I did it.   I started making little knives (scrapers) with long handles so that I could reach the running band from the back side, away from the teeth, and scrape off pine resin that had built up.  Sometimes the running water lube needed some help.  It makes it a safer procedure when the blade is in a log and you are scraping the short side of the band, and you are accessing it from the operators side of the head.

I don't clean nothin nowhere nohow when anything is running, turning or moving!   I've always been 'scared' of power tools and I have lots of them.  Being scared keeps me  on my toes.   I almost lost a finger a little over a year ago on a hydraulic winch by not paying attention for just 1/2 a second.  smiley_carpenter_hit_thumb Seven stitches to sew it back on and a long recovery.   It still hurts like H#$#  when it's cold.     If any body parts come off on the sawmill blade they're most likely not going to be put back on.

Not to signal out any one person, but it's the few that do unsafe (read that as stupid) things around moving equipment are the one that give sawmills the bad rap with the insurance companies.
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

okmulch

When we shut down for the day we clean the dust from our rotochopper, and we have to get in the belly or hopper and clean all the mulch out from there also. I do not attempt to start cleaning until the rotor is completely stopped. On estick that could be left in between the screen and the rotor could cause major damage to one of us.

Just like spinning blades, I always told the hired help and any newbies to not reach in unless they can count individual teeth one a blade or rotor.
Rotochopper b66 track, #2 Rotochopper b66 track, woodmizer lt40, CAT 277b, CAT 268b, CAT 287c, CAT 277c, CAT299d2, CAT299d3, CAT 299d3, Volvo 70e,volvo70f, volvo90f

pigman

Quote....to not reach in unless they can count individual teeth one a blade or rotor.
That would be difficult for some of us slow people. ;)
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

zopi

PM...I think that's the point...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Magicman

This is not really a modification, but a tip which will make life easier.    ;)

Maybe there are enough portable WM owners on here who experience the problem with the "fender holders" filling with sawdust, etc. which must be removed before the fender will slide into the slot.

I just stick a plastic wedge into the slot after removing the fender. Now your fender slot doesn't fill up, and you have a wedge handy when you need to lift a slab/board before backing a band out of a cut.

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

captain_crunch

Handiest thing around my mill is HELP :D :D :D Unless the Boys want some lumber they can become real Scarce Fast :o :o :o
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

Bibbyman

I'm bringing this topic just in case there are some new members that have not seen it.  Got lots of handy things around the mill.  Maybe we can get some more.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

redbeard

I picked up this handy hook at the local husky saw shop awhile back and have given it a good field test. It is very helpful sliding off the slabs especially the heavy tappered end.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

beenthere

The Logrite hookaroon does that job well too. Just gives a bit more reach.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Delawhere Jack

Handy things?

Chains, nylon tow strap, come-along(s), crowbars, handsaw, wood "shims" of various thicknesses, Gatorade, socket set, hatchet, C-clamps, band-aids............a swear-jar (to drop coins in everytime you say DANG!!!!)  :D

Magicman

Other than the normal tools, my "end tongs" are probably the handiest.  They work quite well helping to adjust stubborn logs.

Made from broken logging tongs.

Unloading logs.

Adjusting logs on the sawmill using the side support hydraulics.

Moving logs using the sawmill log clamp hydraulics.     
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

redbeard

This clamp on spreader bar with a eyelet is handy for attatching log tongs and or chains and straps helpful unloading customers trucks and trailers.

Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

Thank You Sponsors!