iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cabin Addition

Started by Magicman, December 21, 2010, 10:37:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tree Feller

MM, what exactly is the pickling stain (whitewash) that you used on the walls. Care to share the recipe?
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

Migal

:D Gee's wish I could blink a eye and get 30 yr younger for those days LOL Nice work MM! 8)
Stihl learning and picked up my Log Master LM2 Cat 34hp 02 21 12! 230MF+ the toys that go with it! MS361 MS271 Stihl PB500 Echo 48" LogRite 16ft Bass Tracker Pro' Abua Garcia 5600 bait caster, Wood working equipment' Lake Lot never enough time! oh don't forget the fridge with ale! Loving Wife Rebeca

Magicman

Quote from: Tree Feller on February 03, 2013, 04:41:37 PMMM, what exactly is the pickling stain (whitewash) that you used on the walls. Care to share the recipe?
It is a waterbase product from Minwax.  Hopefully I can spend a couple of more days there this week and I'll take a picture if I remember.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on February 04, 2013, 07:48:45 AM
Quote from: Tree Feller on February 03, 2013, 04:41:37 PMMM, what exactly is the pickling stain (whitewash) that you used on the walls. Care to share the recipe?
It is a waterbase product from Minwax.  Hopefully I can spend a couple of more days there this week and I'll take a picture if I remember.

I love anything Pickled.  smiley_thumbsup
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

eddiebo

Awsome addition Magicman, and nifty craftsmanship. I've spent the last hour going over all the details, and probably going to do it again. Love it, and my wife adores it. Nuf said !!!!
If you are ashamed of HIM, then surely He will be ashamed of you in His Kingdom.

roghair

I just found out about this thread; very nice addition MM, impressive work and good reading ! Congratulations.
Did MW give you a deadline to finish? ;)
built a sawmill

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Magicman

I sawed about 400 bf of ERC which will become the wall paneling and ceiling for the mud room. 

The first log.

Two more logs to go.

The weather guy says rain, so maybe I can plane and T&G and hang some of it next week. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Slab Slicer

Would love to find some ERC that large around here. There is plenty of it, but not that big. The most I find is under 10" dia. I still saw what I find, but it hardly seems worth it. I'm always on the lookout though.

That ERC should make some real nice paneling, and ceiling boards. I really like this thread, and check on it if for nothing else but the pics of some beautiful woodcrafting. Nice work MM.
2016 LT35HDG25, Kubota L2501 w/ FEL, Kubota BX1500 w/FEL and custom skidding rig, Stihl MS 500i, Stihl MS362-25", Stihl MS250-20", Stihl MS192-18",  2001 F250 SD 7.3, GMC Sierra Dually 6.0 gasser, Peaqua 16" 10K trailer, Sur-Trac 12' Dump Trailer 10K
Chuck

Migal

You have a way with that cedar Please post link on how you tongue and groove again for some reason I'm thinking router bits not sure but I want to tongue and groove say 1000 bf and I would like to know what way works best Thanks Migal
Stihl learning and picked up my Log Master LM2 Cat 34hp 02 21 12! 230MF+ the toys that go with it! MS361 MS271 Stihl PB500 Echo 48" LogRite 16ft Bass Tracker Pro' Abua Garcia 5600 bait caster, Wood working equipment' Lake Lot never enough time! oh don't forget the fridge with ale! Loving Wife Rebeca

Peter Drouin

Hi MM ,you can saw cedar this week and put it up next week? won't that cedar move, it's still green :)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Peter Drouin on February 08, 2013, 07:45:16 PM
Hi MM ,you can saw cedar this week and put it up next week? won't that cedar move, it's still green :)

It'll move if I find it.  :D

Magicman

A question was asked earlier about the Pickling Stain that we are using on the wall paneling.

The gallon can on the left is no longer available, only quarts now.

ERC has very little shrinkage and is very stable.  These logs were from dying trees and were already fairly dry.  The weather guy says rain Monday and Tuesday, so I will be hanging this then because I have a sawing job that is ready for Wednesday.

My first order of business Thursday evening was shoving the Cedar through the planer. 

And then it was on to T&G.  Yes, I am using a hand power planer for jointing and a hand held router for the T&G.  Look at Reply #276 on page 19 for a closeup look at my T&G.  Since I am in a sawhorse arrangement instead of a shop arrangement, this is just the best that I can do.

I was going fine until my stack fell over.

So now I had to take action.

I re-stacked it and tied it to a post.

I had one nail that not only got sawed.....it also got planed.  I'm gonna put it up.
Some folks like all red heart Cedar and some prefer some white sapwood for contrast.

Some of this stuff was streaked up so bad with ingrown sapwood, I guess that it needs to go to the burn pile  ???   ::)
I estimated that I had about 400 bf.  The final tally was 370 bf, so I was close.

I will have plenty to do the walls and also my flooring in the mudroom.  I will reserve the streaked for my ceiling.   :) 

WDH

ERC has about half the shrinkage of most hardwoods.  MM, the included sapwood streaks really look cool!
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Tree Feller

First, thanks for the pics of the minwax pickling stain. Second, that ERC is gonna look spectacular. I am one of thsoe that likes the contrast of the white sapwood with the red heartwood.

Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Magic...sometimes a BEAUTIFUL stack of lumber just looks SO good it's better off to be left alone to just look at.
This may be that time.  :)

SAWMILL BUDDY

Can't wait to see it all put up. Nice job on the t&g.

PC-Urban-Sawyer

MM,

If I lived closer to you, I'd be happy to git rid of that cedar that had the included sapwood...

The only burning required wood be burning the midnite oil work to make something wortthy of the beauty God has placed in that wood.

Herb

Woodey

MM,
Your Cabin addition is looking good.
Thanks for sharing your progress and pictures. :)
WOODMIZER LT40HDD34CAT w/accuset
JLG SKYTRAK 6036 Telescopic Forklift
NYLE L200 KILN
BAKER M412 MOULDER

Magicman

I was able to work a couple of days and made some more progress.

I used 50 grit sandpaper and a belt sander to smooth any roughness on the subfloor.  I put down a layer of felt and then the 1X8 T&G flooring was surface nailed down.

This shows the flooring and also the 17" compartment that was available below the return air plenum.

This is the view from the doorway.

This is looking toward the doorway.

Nothing can be done now until I run the electrical service from the existing Cabin to the breaker panel that will be located in the Addition. 

Tree Feller

Just gotta love that ERC. It's beautiful stuff.
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook

WDH

The cedar is very nice.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Migal

Mighty Fine MM I love my cedar and your's is looking good!  :new_year:

Magicman

Thanks all.  I am headed back to the Cabin today/tomorrow to finish the electrical work.

Thank You Sponsors!