iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Aspen for Timber Framing

Started by TFwannabe, September 19, 2018, 03:48:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TFwannabe

In our neck of the woods (Northern BC) we have high quality aspen in abundance. I'd love to hear thoughts on its suitability as TF material.

I've read a previous thread (Using Aspen as framing lumber in General Board) but the discussion was very brief.

barbender

I haven't used aspen for timbers. What I do know, is that it is prone to twist and check, and it's not very strong. That doesn't prohibit it being used though. White pine is widely sought after for timbers, and it probably isn't much stronger (although much more stable). I would think if you worked it green and got it pinned in a frame quick, and sized it according to it's strength, it should work fine. Disclaimer- I've never built a frame😊 There's a few older aspen log homes around here, they worked it green and fast to get it in the wall so it would take a "set".
Too many irons in the fire

TFwannabe

Points taken barbender - filed for future reference although I'll note that where I'm concerned "work" and "fast" don't always go together. ;-)

What I would have on hand would be green-very green. I've seen local aspen milled for other uses that when worked gave up saw"dust" so wet you could almost squeeze the water out of it in your hand. I've also seen it finished as wall and ceiling panelling looking just beautiful as well. Worth a shot - thanks.

barbender

It is a beautiful wood! Likewise on the speed- one of my saddest failures is the log shell I had nearly complete, but ended up scrapping because it sat out in the weather too long👎 Pics in my gallery, that was a long time ago. You could always saw the timbers well oversized, let them dry for a while, and saw them down to final dimension to get rid of the twists. 

barbender

It was a sad day when I finally went out and chainsawed the corners out and tipped the walls over👎

Stephen1

Barbender, it would be a sad day! I remember watching your posts as you erected it years ago. Life goes by, time stops for no one.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

jander3

This frame is Aspen.  Board & batten is all Aspen.  Raised in 2011, still going strong.   went with longer overhangs to keep the water off.  Aspen was what I had, so that is what I used.

The top few courses and ridge pole for my cabin are also Aspen.  Same thinking.  If it is straight and available, it will work.

TFwannabe

Nice looking piece of work. It's encouraging. I take the point on the overhangs and will work that into the plans. 

With the very high moisture content in the aspen I've seen here, I'm concerned over shrinkage beyond what might be the case with other species. What's been your experience?

Ianab

Quote from: TFwannabe on September 22, 2018, 02:24:02 AM

With the very high moisture content in the aspen I've seen here, I'm concerned over shrinkage beyond what might be the case with other species. What's been your experience?
Shrinkage only occurs after the "free" water has left the wood, so that's under ~30%, Drying before that doesn't shrink the wood noticeably. So it doesn't matter if you start with wood that's got a 90% MC, it wont do much until it gets down to that 30%, then it will start shrinking normally at whatever rate that species does. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

jander3

l am located in MN.  Built the frame with green wood, no issue with shrinkage or twisting.

Thank You Sponsors!