iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The Score Of The Day Thread

Started by mike_belben, December 15, 2021, 09:34:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Which is probably why it was for sale.  Someone somewhere did not know what to do and got rid of it as "defective".
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

barbender

I would have taken it for that price, even if I could only use it as a pry bar😊
Too many irons in the fire

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: Magicman on March 26, 2023, 03:24:56 PM
Which is probably why it was for sale.  Someone somewhere did not know what to do and got rid of it as "defective".
Yeah, and if they couldn't figure it out, they have no business owning one. If that confused them and they couldn't figure it out, imagine how they would deal with a bandsaw blade that was inside out. :D ;D
 Some folks shouldn't be allowed to breed.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

beenthere

Careful OGH
We might comment about a wood stove or something like that.   :snowball: :snowball: ;D ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Old Greenhorn

Well, there is a huge difference between those that do, make mistakes, but keep going and those who think they wanna do and buy stuff, but go no further.
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

rusticretreater

Picked up some things from another auction:

Bullard Free Air Pump for when you are hooded in a real dusty job.  These list for $700+ used and $1700 new.  I got it for $160. Weighs about 40 lbs.

CRL 3x21" Belt Sander.  List price $205, paid $125. Came with 11 belts, 5 of 80, 6 of 120 grit.

Felt Glazing rolls.  This is for putting on panel doors. $8 bucks.
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

caveman

I had a guy deliver a couple of Mustang 5.0 engines yesterday.  One has only about 35,000 miles on it and the other has a couple of rods knocking.  He also brought a couple of transmissions.  I really don't need them but after I retire, I would like to put a more robust engine in the '77 Bronco.  It runs well but it struggles to get out of its own way.  I also have a fuel injected 351 W that may find its way into that Bronco.  If I were a mechanic, this stuff would be easy.  Look to the "Did something dumb today thread".

Caveman

aigheadish

Man, I'd think a 5.0 would make your bronco bounce straight up in the air. That'd be sweet! 
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

caveman

A lot of Bronco's have the mustang 5.0's in them.  I've read that the 5.0 out of an Explorer is a relatively easy swap.  In my '74, we installed a '69 351 W with a Crane cam, small 4-barrel, and headers in front of a four speed.  It has the right amount of power for driving on and offroad.  

A good running 5.0 would certainly wake one up.
Caveman

rusticretreater

Compared to today's vehicles, a '77 Bronco would be pretty easy to work on.  Are those transmissions the old three-speed or an upgrade to a four-speed?

Kubota BX25
Homemade Log Arch
Husqvarna 562xp

Tom King

Quote from: rusticretreater on March 31, 2023, 04:53:28 PM
Picked up some things from another auction:

Bullard Free Air Pump for when you are hooded in a real dusty job.  These list for $700+ used and $1700 new.  I got it f
I have that very same air pump, also bought used but looks like new.  I bought some Bullard air hoses off ebay, and use disposable Tyvek air hoods that aren't exactly one use.  I get a lot of use out of one.  I did put new filters on mine.  I think they came direct from Bullard.

After you buy the first hood with harness (belt goes around your waist to keep it from blowing off your head, and tail hose the is fastened to the belt, you only have to buy the replacement Tyvek part.

Picture is with Shop Vac hose a different color than my ones used for dust collection, used as an extension.  (looking for picture)

I don't/won't breathe sanding dust, or paint spray.

caveman

Quote from: rusticretreater on April 03, 2023, 10:43:30 AMAre those transmissions the old three-speed or an upgrade to a four-speed?

The transmissions are out of mustangs.  One from a v-8 and the other from a 4cyl. turbo.  Both are 5-speeds.  I have an extra 3-speed from a '77 w/v8.  We put an NP-435 4-speed into the '74 (granny gear).
Caveman

Walnut Beast

A good one and doesn't appear to be used much or at all. The guy selling it never used it.  Braden 20k hydraulic winch. Still made new and all parts available if need be. Retails for 8,500. Discount you can get one for around  6,500 new. Thought I was going to get it pretty cheap but no several were after it. 60 bids later I was the winner. Guys from Minnesota are determined to win bids. But after not going higher on a skidder and kicking myself I wasn't going to loose even though I wasn't to happy to keep hitting the bid button 😂. 

aigheadish

I mentioned office furniture several posts ago. I got it all but in an effort to help other move their stuff in the uhaul it turned into quite the clusterf ordeal, and getting home 5 hours after I started what I thought would be a 2 hour job I realized that I'd completely forgot the big warehouse upright (which was the real point in getting the uhaul) and someone had swiped the pneumatic press. Bummer. 

Anyway last weekend I worked on shop storage and went from this:

To this:

I love it! I've labeled things pretty well so I don't need to open them all up to find stuff and it should keep dust levels to a minimum! 
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

firefighter ontheside

I've forgotten to grab items that i've won in auctions on pick up day.  I got distracted grabbing all the other stuff and didn't make sure I had everything I bought.  DanG it.

It may not look like much now, but I scored this canoe the other day.  It was listed on FB for $30.  As I was asking questions about it and telling the lady who was selling it how I would fix it up, she said I could have it for free.  When I get done with it, it should be a nice boat for floating our local river and look really nice too.  She only used a few times and the rest of the time it sat under her deck with the gunwales rotting away.  It is a Dagger Legend 16 made of Royalex.  They are out of business, but Mad River canoe bought the mold and sold a Legend for a while.

Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

firefighter ontheside

Well this thread hasn't been very busy.  The last post was mine from April.  Since then I rebuilt that canoe to very good shape and sold it.

Today I picked up some auction purchases.  Nothing earth shattering, but a few hole saws and a nice lot with good rulers and other measuring devices for woodworking.  A couple Stanley marking guages.  I've never used one, so that may come in handy.  Check out the two "calculators" I got.  One does not require batteries.

Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Jeff

I came south for a few days now that my u.p. garden has been harvested. First day home I spent the day helping on friend Harold's project of replacing the steel on the roof on his little commercial building in town. I asked him what he was doing with the old steel. He said you want it? Take it!  I'm going to go load it as soon as I can make my body work again. I'm too old for that kinda work on a gitter done sort of pace. So is Harold.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

aigheadish

My father in law gave us some stuff that looked similar to that but maybe twice as thick, we had a leaky shed roof we covered with it and it's doing great and it looks pretty cool.

Jeff

Tom King

About 22 years ago, we bought six acres of land that adjoins our place.  It's just some woodland, but has a few old farm buildings on it full of junk.  In pushing away an old brush pile a couple of weeks ago, I found these millstones covered in old tree debris and dirt.

There is a matched pair of 48-1/2" complete ones, and one 38-1/2" perfect one made from a brownish Granite.  The big pair are made from Quartzolite.  Researching what the stone is with Google is how I found out.  Turns out that is a rare form of Granite that is more than 90 percent quartz.

There are some big streaks of Quartz down by the river that now is under 45 feet of water in the lake.  A lot of the arrowheads found around here are made from Quartz.

I've been cleaning them up with a low pressure pressure washer.  Each pass whiten's them more.

We don't really have any need for them, so I'm going to try to sell them.  Looking online at what they're going for, it looks like it will be a good amount, and should be worth more than half what we paid for the 6 acres.  

Better than finding a 20 dollar bill in a pair of little worn dress pants hanging in the closet.

I will take some better pictures, but didn't think to after this first small session with the pressure washer.

Old Greenhorn

Man you've got some stones Tom! :D ;D
 Really, those looked like they haven't even been used at all. I hope you find a good home for them. Quite the score!

Old Greenhorn

I assume you have found Millstones.com in GA by now. They have a matched pair, same size as yours but with a lot more wear on them. Yeah, you should get a nice price on those for sure. Quite the find!!

Jeff

rusticretreater

Nice. As an owner of a mill myself, I would say just finding them and keeping them safe is a plus for history.  Granite was used to make many early millstones in America and they are good for grinding corn.  Wheat however, was too hard on lesser granite stones so folks turned to quartz.

The patterns on the stones appear to be what is known as the "American Wheat Pattern". You will note that when the runner stone is placed on top of the bedstone, the pattern is opposed creating a scissoring action. 

You might check if there was a mill near the site where you found them. 
Kubota BX25
Homemade Log Arch
Husqvarna 562xp

Tom King

Thanks a lot!   That's very good, and useful information!

This is a place where water runs out of the ground every few hundred yards and all those little streams run together to form creeks that run into the river (now lake), and there were many mills in this part of the country.  The book on the history of Brunswick county Virginia tells that there were 30 some mills South of the Meherrin river, which is really not that large of an area.

Knowing where these were, I don't think anyone bought them and brought them here to just leave them where I found them.  I expect they came from some stream not far from here that is now under water from when they built the lake in 1963, and someone drug them up here on top of the hill and left them thinking they would do something with them later.

They were pure black when I found them.

They do have some wear, as you may be able to see in the picture.

The bedstone is nothing like as thick as the runner stone.  I'm wondering if it had been resurfaced a number of times, but I know nothing more than what I've learned here today about mill stones.

There was a 3300 acre plantation here on the river started in 1733, and operated until after the Civil War.  It was between two good sized creeks and the river forming borders.  I would expect it came from there.  This river was lined with plantations on both sides through this part of the country.

Wheat may have even been ground with them that had been stored in the Macon granary.

Thank You Sponsors!