iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' 2019 ???

Started by Magicman, March 08, 2019, 08:46:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Southside

It's been miserable hot and humid here too.  I was wondering if there would be a way to add on an A/C to my mill in place of the debarker.   :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

goose63

Things got off to a good start then the rain set in again and my new helper dont like rain

This is Mosquitoe
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

doc henderson

@Southside can you put a big fan on the debarker motor.  As @Magicman might say, looks like @goose63 has debarker on da wood.  i think they make an inverter to convert dc to ac! :D  will that help you out?  then just get a small unit from WM to blow on you face! :)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

WV Sawmiller

Lynn,

Are you sure you didn't get that from the ServSafe food managers course? They say keep hot foods at 160 degrees or more and cold foods at temps of 40 or lower. Sounds pretty close to your numbers. 

Doc,

IRT 100 y/o's we did just go by and visited our 100 year old neighbor in the nursing home. He looked much better than the last time we saw him. Until October when he had his blood clots he was driving, baling hay and keeping up with everything going on in he community. H is probably the last surviving WWII veteran in our county. His mind is still clear and he can tell you about driving a truck load of medical supplies across the Burma Road when they first opened it. 
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

richhiway

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on July 09, 2019, 11:40:33 PM
 Loaded up yesterday and left for Bolt WV 4 miles away about 0630 and finished about 2000 tonight. We sawed pine with a few maple logs from a large maple tree on site. It was hot and I am a worn out puppy dog. Most were sawed into 3/4" X 8" X 8' with anything that would not make an 8" cant we sawed into 3" battens. One big 14' butt log we sawed into dimensional framing 2"X4"/1.5"/3.5" and 2"X6"/1.5" X 5.5" and we got about 420 bf from that one log. The maple we sawed into 5/4 and got nearly 400 bf out of 3 maple logs.

The repairs to the power feed held up well with 7.1 operating hours today alone with a 242 bf/hr average for 1719 bf for the day plus 800 bf I sawed on the same job 26 June before my power feed went out. No wonder I am worn out.

When I was done I was too tired to take pictures. We had 400-500 bf stacks of assorted lumber scattered all over the area. It was a repeat customer and we had a very good time.
That's a long day. you could teach some young'ens how to put in a good day. I have always felt best when I go to bed tired. I had a Uncle who worked hard and ran equipment up to his 80's.
Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

Brad_bb

Quote from: doc henderson on July 10, 2019, 12:14:03 PM
  As @Magicman might say, looks like @goose63 has debarker on da wood.  
Oh that's bad!  Such bad jokes should get you a night in the woodshed!
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

doc henderson

@Brad_bb  only if my wife starts reading the forum.   ;)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

WV Sawmiller

Rich,

I see I was so tired when I typed my note I wrote 4 miles to Bolt. It is actually 44 miles. Yes, it is hard to get young folks to work like that. I had a 30 y/o nephew "helping" me get hay on a visit a couple years ago and he gave out and went and got back in the truck with the A/C while I worked alone to finish. My helper was good yesterday but he did eat too fast so he could get back to me while I was sawing. He was nearly done before I noticed his meal was even there or I'd have stopped a few minutes for him to eat. Between the heat and humidity and hard work it did him in. I got hay last week and had a couple of brothers about 14 & 16 to help load and stack and got their older sister to drive the truck in the field. They all did real well and were all happy when payday came but I bet nobody had to rock them to bed that night.

No matter how old or how good of shape you are in you need to be careful in this kind of heat.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

D6c

Finally got started milling some of the walnut I've had laying around for quite a while.  I've been sidetracked remodeling my house for the last year (and it's still not done).

Started with a pile of 8-9 ft. smallish logs.  I've got about half of the small log pile done but what I've got cut is probably not much more that 10% of the total I've got....gonna take me a while.

On top of that I've got a bunch of ash that needs taking down before it starts dying out.  There were 3 downed trees that had fallen in the last year so I cut 5 logs out of them just to see what they're like.  I've not sawed any ash before.  The one on the mill sawed up pretty good, and the ash tends to be pretty straight....something I'm not used to.

I'm thinking I might use the dozer to take down most of the ash rather that chainsaw it.  There's a row of hedge along the outside of the grove of trees that needs pushing out to get good access to the ash and I'd like the stumps out anyway.

WV Sawmiller

D6c,

If you do use a bulldozer to take down the ash trees you might consider using a cable and pulling them instead of pushing them over unless you are very certain they are still alive and sturdy. I have had them get brittle and snap in the middle and when they do they can fall back on you 
Howard Green

E-Tex

Overcup Oak.  Thanks @WDH for the tree ID.  

LT-50 Wide, Nyle 200Pro Kiln, Mahindra 6065, Kubota 97-2 / Forestry Mulcher 
L2 Sawmill LLC

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

D6c

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on July 10, 2019, 08:04:44 PM
D6c,

If you do use a bulldozer to take down the ash trees you might consider using a cable and pulling them instead of pushing them over unless you are very certain they are still alive and sturdy. I have had them get brittle and snap in the middle and when they do they can fall back on you

They're still in good shape... we're just beginning to see the effects of EAB.
I've got a good brush canopy on the dozer but would still be leary of standing dead trees.... excavator would be a better tool for them.

Southside

Speaking from personal experience anything that does not have a forestry cab on it is sketchy.  A regular excavator cab is just a light cover to keep the rain off, it does not give you any FOPS protection, I know, I own a 26 ton Kobelco. In contrast my Fellerbuncher has a FOPS / ROPS rated cab at something like 52,000 lbs.  Even with that in place a previous owner dropped something onto her that bent the plating which covers the engine bay.  You can't be too cautious around those EAB damaged ash.  They don't look like they are dying until they have been under attack for a couple of years and are already compromised.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Kwill

Milling cedar on the new harbor freight mill.

Built my own hydraulic splitter
Built my own outdoor wood stove
Built my own log arch
built my own bandsaw sawmill
Built my own atv log arch.
Built my own FEL grapple

Magicman

Looks like you have pulled a sly one on us with the new sawmill.  8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

olcowhand

Kwill,
I've often wondered how well those Mills work.... What say you?
Steve
Olcowhand's Workshop, LLC

They say the mind is the first to go; I'm glad it's something I don't use!

Ezekiel 36:26-27

WV Sawmiller

Didn't really saw it yet but on my way back from the dentist today I stopped by to talk with a guy about a cherry tree he reported down in his back yard about 25 miles from my home. One of those typical "Would you be interested in sawing on shares" and I had told him if he'd bring it here I could accommodate and he was considering that. I promised to help by stopping by and discussing where to buck the tree into log lengths the next time was passing his area and I promised to bring him some anchorseal to help reduce checking. I got there a little early and the "customer" was not there but I talked briefly to his next door neighbor in his back yard. I spotted 2 uprooted trees and walked down to check them out and found about the prettiest wild/black cherry I have ever seen. One was a double maybe 16" on each section at the stump but the other was over 22" at the stump. The first log on it would be a full 14' and the second another pretty 10' log with good wood still available for another 20-30 ft. Someone had started cutting the tops and limbs into firewood lengths but had not yet reached any that would make good saw lumber. I was expecting a 12-14 inch diameter tree with maybe a couple of 10' logs and only took a quart of anchoreseal. I marked the spot below which I would not cut for firewood but save for sawing. The double has a couple of sharp curves aching to become live edge primitive benches. The customer came back and I agreed to come back and buck the logs then bring the mill and cut an assortment of boards and LE slabs. The customer showed me a table, bed and night table he had built so he is what I consider an accomplished woodworker but he does not have a chainsaw big enough to cut this tree or MHE to move it. I will take my chainsaw and maybe even my ATV over to saw and move logs to a landing then come saw them. Right now I have visions of 18" finished black cherry boards dancing in my dreams. I did not think to take my camera but will get pictures on my next trip. I'd love to take JD750 with FEL or even my log arch but that would mean borrowing a bigger trailer and more trips and getting more invested in this project than just a little time, fuel and equipment expenses which are relatively minimal. 
Howard Green

Kwill

Quote from: Magicman on July 11, 2019, 04:55:25 PM
Looks like you have pulled a sly one on us with the new sawmill.  8)
Yes sir a deal came along I could not pass up. It's nice to have a mill that works correctly and I'm not fighting.
Built my own log arch
Built my own FEL grapple

Kwill

Quote from: olcowhand on July 11, 2019, 05:11:02 PM
Kwill,
I've often wondered how well those Mills work.... What say you?
Steve
I've only sawed 2 logs with it but I gotta say for a lower priced mill it works nice. I mean it's no woodmizer but it cuts nice boards and for the steal of a price I got on it I couldn't pass it up. I have it temporarily setting on Jeff's favorite boat trailer but I will be building a new trailer and extending the track so I can cut 20ft boards no problem.
Built my own log arch
Built my own FEL grapple

Peter Drouin

Good for you. 8) 8) All band mill cut the same. It just how fast you want to cut is all. Faster means more money. have fun,
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Crossroads

Coming the new mill kwill 
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

WV Sawmiller

I went over and spent the middle of the day bucking and staging the cherry logs I mentioned previously. They were too big for the clients saw. I used my ATV to drag all but 3 of the logs to a landing. I can get the mill right next to them. The big log, 24"+ X 13',  I pulled part way with my truck and a long 1/4" cable but attempted a second pull with a different cable and broke about 6' off the end at the log. I will move the last 3 logs later when it is cooler and I am not so tired - may be the day I come to saw them.

Here are all but 3 of the logs - from 4' - 8'.

Here is the big cable killing log - about 10' below the stack and 90 degree to it. The stump in the background is from the other logs. About 30 minutes after I cut the last log off it it just suddenly stood back up with it's clay root. It has already been cut nearly all the way through and I will like finish and cut some 4' boards off it.

The other 2 logs off the big tree still to be moved into place. A 10' X 22" and a 5'X 22" one. No time set to saw them. I need to get a place ready here as I am cutting these on shares.
Howard Green

WDH

If you have not already, you best anchorseal them pronto.  Cherry is one of the worst about cracking and splitting. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

WV Sawmiller

Danny,

That was one of the reasons I cut them myself so I could anchorseal them promptly and thoroughly. I had brought a quart of it yesterday to leave witht he customer then I saw the size of the uprooted trees and knew it would take a lot more. I just about used all that was left in my 5 gallon bucket except the quart left over. I also find cherry and ash are about the worst about checking so at the same time I unload my chainsaw I break out the anchorseal. There were 3 stems and I'd anchorseal the resulting logs off each stem before I started the next one.

One of the stems looked like it had some ring/wind shake. I have experienced that in hemlock but do not remember seeing it in cherry before. We will see what we get out of those logs.
Howard Green

Thank You Sponsors!