iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Share some of the great pieces of advice that has stuck with you over the years.

Started by customsawyer, February 02, 2022, 06:41:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

customsawyer

Most of us have been influenced by some wise folks. One of the things I learned from a friend years ago was about making money buying and selling stuff. "If you buy it right you can sell it right". There have been others over the years but that one has stuck with me as it applies to anything. Don't matter if it's buying logs and selling the lumber or buying equipment, land and anything else that you might need to resell later. Lets hear some from y'all. 
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

thecfarm

I was cutting wood with my Father on the family land, I built a house here. We were cutting eastern white pine. My Father came from the Old School, logs had to be good logs to sell. We got involved with a Pallet Pine grade. They would cut out the bad spots and dovetail to make door and window frames. This stuff was UGLY and I mean UGLY. We were even selling them crotched wood!!! Knots would be a foot across on some logs we cut. We even hauled out limbs for pulp!!! We chased down every ugly pine tree we had.
As my Father said, you can sell good logs anytime, can't sell the ugly ones anytime.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

newoodguy78

Had a guy tell me one time "the only thing worse than paying too much is paying too little" he was referencing quality items and not wasting money on garbage. Never forgot that. 

WV Sawmiller

Nothing in life is 50/50. Accept it. No matter whether its marriage, raising kids, a partnership or other business one party is usually going to have to yield a little more than the other.

If you go through life trying to demand "your fair share" all the time you are going to be a bitter, disappointed soul.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

WDH

From my Mamma, "Just because someone is an idiot and a fool, you don't have to tell them that."
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Cedarman

"If a million people do a stupid thing, it is still a stupid thing".
Definitely applies in todays world.

On my brothers mill is the saying.
"Step One.  Engage brain."
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

SawyerTed

A good friend and very wise woman told me "not to borrow trouble" when I was on a negative tirade about something that "might" happen.  That has stuck with me and served me well for many years.
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

hacknchop

I was a know it all 18 yr old that went to work for a retired 70 yr old machinist, one the first things he told me was" you know Terry you will never learn anything with your mouth open" in other words shut up and listen and maybe you will learn something. The time spent with him in that little machine shop gave me the knowledge and skill to go on from there to be a productive and competent worker.
Often wrong never indoubt

mike_belben

"Michael, theres a lot of suction under a dozer" is the one coming to mind right now. 

And that the easiest business years are the ones when you have the day job and the side business simultaneously.  My experience agrees. 

"Life aint fair kid."

"Theyre gonna come for your guns, dont ever let them take your guns" 

i guess i was about 8 back then.  Time has also vindicated that one. 
Praise The Lord

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

chet

"take time to do it right the first time" was one that stuck with me.
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Andries

"Cut your deals up front."
and
"Only pick up one end of a board." 
In other words . . . 
Look things over, state your terms and stick to'em.
and
Find leverage and fulcrum points whenever you can. 
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

snobdds

Quote from: newoodguy78 on February 02, 2022, 07:25:48 AM
Had a guy tell me one time "the only thing worse than paying too much is paying too little" he was referencing quality items and not wasting money on garbage. Never forgot that.
Yep.
My dad has always said....
Buy once, cry once.
It's too expensive to be cheap.
I look at his shop and think, he is a wise man.  A lot of things purchased years ago, and because of quality...will be good past my life time. 

K-Guy

From my dad
It's quicker to take the time to do it right the first time instead of doing it twice.

From a sergeant from my army days.
I can watch you do it over and over again till you get it right.

From a civilian boss
It's my way or the highway.

Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

Sedgehammer

From my dad when it comes to arguing with your spouse

"Son , you can win every battle and still lose the war"

Very wise words
Necessity is the engine of drive

Bruno of NH

I had a guy tell me when I was a young carpenter
You have to slow down to go fast.
Meaning less mistakes makes your project go faster.
Fix it now or lose time latter.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

HemlockKing

Quote from: Bruno of NH on February 02, 2022, 11:18:03 AM
I had a guy tell me when I was a young carpenter
You have to slow down to go fast.
Meaning less mistakes makes your project go faster.
Fix it now or lose time latter.
Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.
A1

mike_belben

Sometimes the budget or the circumstances dont allow for things to go the way ya want.  Then "do the best ya can" takes over. 
Praise The Lord

YellowHammer

My personal favorite is "Don't be an idiot."  That pretty much covers everything.
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

jimbarry

"Always finish what you start." (my 3rd grade art teacher)

"LIFE
Look to your future.
Invest in yourself.
Focus on your goals.
Enjoy the rewards."

I take full credit for the second one.  ;D

mike_belben

Well that does jog my memory .. Its not really an official saying since i made it up to lecture my kids on being a man or woman of your word. 

*Say what ya mean, mean what ya say, do what you say youll do and finish what you started.* 

I generally finish it off with something like i dont care how many teeth or degrees you have, if you do those things youll always be welcome wherever it is you wanna be.   
Praise The Lord

Nebraska

I've posted this before, "work hard, live a clean life, success will follow."  My father.

metalspinner

I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

TroyC

Measure twice, cut once.

Not everything in life is fair.

Sometimes you get what you paid for.

And from Yogi- If you come to a fork in the road, take it!

SawyerTed

"Don't cut your own hair!"  Basically saying when necessary get an expert.  
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Thank You Sponsors!