iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Share some of the great pieces of advice that has stuck with you over the years.

Started by customsawyer, February 02, 2022, 06:41:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TroyC

doc henderson

"Do your best... then do just a little bit more"!  Keith Long, my favorite High School teacher.  speech and radio TV.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Walnut Beast

If you watch the pennies the dollars will follow.

You can't have a champagne appetite on a beers salary.

rusticretreater

the five p's -  proper planning prevents poor performance

It is better to say nothing and be thought a fool, than open your mouth and remove all doubt. (the real reason behind freedom of speech eh?)

Practice does not make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect.  Vince Lombardi

do or do not, there is no try.  Jedi Master Yoda
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

samandothers

There are usually 3 sides to a story.  Your side, my side and the right side.

Downstream

When I was just starting out in my career alot of us young professionals were on this crazy path of work/earn $$$ so we could retire when we were 55.  After watching a few people die early or have 50's health issues that prevented them from ever enjoying the things they had been sacrificing an early mentor said you need "to live it as you go"  because we are not promised tomorrow.  Changed the life plan immediately and did all the things (within our financial ability) with my wife, kids and rest of our families over the years.  Would not change a thing.  PS:  still retired at 55.
EZ Boardwalk Jr,  Split Second Kinetic logsplitter, Granberg Alaskan Chainsaw Mill, Stihl 660 and 211, Logrite 60" cant hook, Dixie 32 Tongs

WV Sawmiller

Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

dgdrls

It doesn't cost anything to be polite, (Dad)

It only costs a little more to go first class

You don't get a do-over this isn't Montessori School.

Get a car that can be fixed at K-mart, (Uncle) some years ago:)

D

Dave Shepard

"A cow well bought is a cow half sold". Cattle dealer from a few generations back.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Bradm

You can have the job done right, fast or cheap.  Pick any two; just remember I don't come cheap.

Wlmedley

Bill Medley WM 126-14hp , Husky372xp ,MF1020 ,Homemade log arch,GMC2500,Oregon log splitter,Honda Pioneer 700,Kabota 1700

SwingOak

From the best manager I've ever had: "Don't think being irreplaceable is job security because it's a trap. If you're irreplaceable, you'll never get promoted."

Cedarman

I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Dakota

" if u gonna be dumb u gotta be tough".
"The mind is a parachute.......it works best when open"
"it's a great life, if you don't weaken"
"Sometimes we create our own heartbreak through expectations"
Dave Rinker

gspren

Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

HemlockKing

Quote from: TroyC on February 02, 2022, 05:44:45 PM
Measure twice, cut once.

Not everything in life is fair.

Sometimes you get what you paid for.

And from Yogi- If you come to a fork in the road, take it!
I worked as a apprentice carpenter briefly and mentioned the first one to a red seal, he looked at me with a grin and said "no, it's measure once, cut once"..meaning don't make mistakes in the first place and if you had to measure a board twice on every cut of a house that you're building it ends up being a lot of time. 

Solid advice for a typical person that isn't in the trade though.
A1

hacknchop

Force a man to change his mind against his will, and you will find he is of the same opinion still
Often wrong never indoubt

WV Sawmiller

A man who doesn't make a mistake is usually a man who doesn't do anything.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

GAB

I can't understand it - I cut it 3 times and it's still too short.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

GAB

W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Raider Bill

The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.
My advice on aging gracefully... ride fast bikes and date faster women, drink good tequila, practice your draw daily, be honest and fair in your dealings, but suffer not fools. Eat a hearty breakfast, and remember, ALL politicians are crooks.

mike_belben

:D

to err is human. to blame it on others shows management potential. 

ya cant climb the ladder of success with your hands in your pocket.
Praise The Lord

WV Sawmiller

Mike,

The way I heard it was:

To err human, to forgive divine - but neither is company policy here where we work.
Howard Green

hedgerow

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on February 02, 2022, 08:40:31 PM
  Don't let your bulldog mouth overload your bunny rabbit butt.
My folks had a long term employee that used to say that. 
My mom always said if you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything. 

Raider Bill

The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.
My advice on aging gracefully... ride fast bikes and date faster women, drink good tequila, practice your draw daily, be honest and fair in your dealings, but suffer not fools. Eat a hearty breakfast, and remember, ALL politicians are crooks.

Thank You Sponsors!